What to do with Bryce Callahan

WindyCity

What to do with Bryce Callahan who has quietly become one of the better players on the defense and a huge weapon for the Bears on defense.

Looking at the recent contracts for primarily slot CBs the price range seems to be

Aaron Colvin [Houston] 8.5/year

TJ Carrie [Cleveland] 7.5/year

D.J Hayden 6.3/year

To me Callahan is a priority.

I would offer him the mid-level contract right now 4 years 30 million/15 guaranteed. My hope is that he wants the cash in his pocket right now and protect himself against injury in the last 7 games.

After the season I would be willing to move up to the higher number of 4/34/17.

He is going to want atleast 8M APY. Especially if we make the playoffs and he has a big game.

The projected cap is about 21M right now and the Bears only need about 2M for the rookie pool since we only have 4 picks, all coming in mid-later rounds (est 500k x 4--although not all are going to count against the top-51 players) leaving us with 19M to work.

So lets assume we release Sims--giving us only extra 333k. We could reconstruct Long's contract to gain about 3-4M.

Notable players set to become FAs: Callahan, Massie, Kush, Lynch, Amos, Braunecker, RRH, (edit: dll reminded me of Floyd)

Fangio has converted this defense from a traditional 3-4 to a nickel and we're about to lose Cooper(expendable). McManis and Prince will be will 30 years old and Toliver is a WIP.

This begs the question. Which secondary position is more important,  FS/SS(Amos) or NB(Callahan). I'm taking Callahan all day long and going OL, S, CB, RB in the draft.

Let Amos, Kush and RRH walk and resign Callahan, Lynch, Braunecker and Massie. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I was talking, not about FA, but 5th year option. Which will be large. 

It's pretty simple if Floyd isnt a double digit sack guy in 2019, you dont use the option and you either trade him or you let him play out his deal.  The Bears have until 2022 to extend Mitch so there's plenty of time to get the books right

Archived