How do we fix the 2018 Jags?

LinderFournette

4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

which is why the bryan selection was dumb.  assuming the scouting staff did a few prelims on guys who didnt declare because they were already at the game they could have seen it was gonna be DL heavy. 

Everyone was so excited about that pick too and now its dumb? I agree the scouts should have done their homework on the next year's crop but stuff happens and guys fall/get hurt/suck/stay in school

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Stupid question that I'm sure a ton of you can shed some light on:

Is there an interactive site that takes the 2019 available cap, includes the 2018 rollover and then you can pick certain players to cut and see how much $ is left over to sign FAs and extend guys?

Nothing right now includes rollover numbers. Performance bonuses can impact rollover and we have no idea who will or won't hit bonuses, so no site is factoring that in until teams declare their intended cap rollover. 

But you can use the below to check it out. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/jacksonville-jaguars/2019/

Use the 2018 page to see how much rollover to add to your total.

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

Nothing right now includes rollover numbers. Performance bonuses can impact rollover and we have no idea who will or won't hit bonuses, so no site is factoring that in until teams declare their intended cap rollover. 

But you can use the below to check it out. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/jacksonville-jaguars/2019/

Use the 2018 page to see how much rollover to add to your total.

Thanks! So without factoring in the 8M in rollover, we are 12M below the cap?

8 hours ago, pwny said:

The team needs depth everywhere. I don’t care how many good starters we get, this team will never find sustainable success so long as they refuse to build a roster with depth.

And they need playmakers on offense, which is great because:

I said the same thing.

I hate how much it feels like Wash is going to end up being the scapegoat for a pathetic offense.  Granted, i don't adore what Wash has done this year...he's far from perfect and he certainly does seem to have struggles with adapting to a certain specific set of tactics...but that's the same "simple, straightforward...line up and let the talent play fast" style of defense that was praised by most after all the nonsense OTTO goofball stuff.  The same extremely simple defense that was absolutely ELITE in '17 just letting the talent show through and dominate.

The biggest problem is the offense is literally completely useless.  Can't even find ways to help keep the defense off the field.  No defensive scheme is going to overcome that sort of offensive ineptitude.  Until we fix the offense and get capable play out of that unit...any defensive scheme is going to struggle.  You don't fix an over-taxed defense by changing the defense...you fix it by relieving some of the stress placed on them by the offense.

Just bizarre to me that Wash and the defense are such a focal point for "fixing" the team for next year, when they haven't even really been a particularly glaring problem...and you've got this rinky dink offense standing out like a sore thumb on the opposite side of the ball.

Obviously however, getting pretty much a whole new offense for 2019 is gonna be a bit of a tall task.  Especially when it comes to the most important linchpin in a good offense...the QB.  Where i'm honestly not sure there's a guy out there available to us, who is going to be good enough and/or ready to take this offense to where it needs to be in 2019.

Especially when we've now gotta deal with all sorts of massive cap repercussions from FA spending frenzies that helped build this defense into the top unit it can be in the first place.  We're gonna have to start dismantling that defense and replacing guys there on the cheap, before they're even really finished being good productive players.  Because we also have a ton of money locked up on an expensive interior OLine and a QB who sucks.

I don't know what you really do with the offense, considering the lack of clear cut high-quality QB options to feasibly go to.  You're really tightly constrained on what you're going to be able to successfully run with pretty much any of these options.  Whether it's Bortles or some other frustrating and highly limited game-manager of a more reliable underwhelming nature...you're still going to want to build the offense roughly the same way.  To run run run and take the ball out of the QBs hands as much as possible.  We need better playmakers as receiving threats to make it easier for when the QB does have to toss it (WR, TE, and probably RB now too with Yeldon likely gone and Grant probably ruined).  Guys with actual hands, to catch the ball reliably.  Can't afford to have unreliable catchers when it's already such a struggle for the QB just to get the ball there in the first place.

We need better play out of our OLine.  Getting Cam back should help with one of the tackle spots...but i'm not convinced we don't need a quality LT anyway, to where Cam could be pushed to RT or even G...which is how good, deep teams often find ways to survive a LT injury without completely imploding the OLine play altogether.  Stashing a serviceable LT at another starting position on the line is good business practice.

We just have way too many things we need to address, and far too few premium picks to do it with (cheaply).  Really nobody promising "waiting in the wings" to step into a bigger role from within the organization.  And basically negative cap space to address things via FA.

Frankly, i wish we could keep the whole defense together...pretty much as it is, and just focus on fixing the offense.  But it's pretty much an inevitability we're going to have to gut new holes in the defense just to shuffle the cap space around to even try to address other stuff.  It's a freaking mess man.

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Everyone was so excited about that pick too and now its dumb? I agree the scouts should have done their homework on the next year's crop but stuff happens and guys fall/get hurt/suck/stay in school

Was everyone really that excited about the pick?  I think a lot of people were kinda intrigued by the upside of Taven and didn't mind the confidence to double-down on a strength, if the rest of the team was going to be competent enough.  But i know i wasn't a particularly big fan of spending 2/3 of our premium picks on "backups" for the future of our already strong unit...rather than actually addressing our extremely weak unit on offense.

Especially in a draft that looked tailor-made to address an offensive unit with what looked like an abundance of potentially quality OLine and even "late 1st" type WRs (not to mention the stacked 1st round worth of QBs).

On 12/11/2018 at 5:24 PM, LinderFournette said:

i would keep Gipson and 1 of jackson/campbell.   i would consider Linder safe as well.  hes played very well this year  and according to pff he was a top 5 center so likely safe. 

On 12/11/2018 at 5:28 PM, DuvalsKing said:

Linder will be safe when he is on the field he is still a top 5 center in this league.. I'm saying start acquiring guys to take players spots Campbell has hit a wall if you keep 1 it would be the younger Jackson over Campbell. 

I mean, this is the thing that kinda grinds on me about "fixing this team" for 2019.  That we're even talking about cutting players like Gipson, or Calais/Malik who are still outstanding defensive players.  Like...is Calais even "hitting a wall"?  He's still been a pretty darn good player, productive players who generates a lot of disruption and we have literally nothing to replace him (despite ostensibly spending a 1st round pick on that guy).  He's basically fallen back from his career high sort of numbers in 2017 to...something more like his career normal, which is still extremely good?

And we're talking about potentially cutting guys like that and gutting key players on our defense (and some of our best players overall) because they've dumped a whole bunch of awful money into bad players on the offense.  That's disgusting imo.  It's dysfunctional.

I'd rather see them do whatever they can financially to keep this defense largely intact next year.  At least the key/core guys (including Calais, Malik, Gipson).  Just rip away any of the bad money they can from the offense and try to rebuild it by going absurdly Offense-heavy in the draft.  It's just hard to see this team getting significantly better next year by cannibalizing important parts of the defense.  That unit is going to have to be beastly again, if they want any chance at making noise.

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

bryan wasnt neccessiarly a bad pick but when your 1st round pick is playing out of position as campbells backup and doing so very ineffectively i might *** to the tune of 11 snaps this past week.  i get hes more of a long term project but i still believe we should have picked will hernandez or a skill guy offensively. 

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Was everyone really that excited about the pick?  I think a lot of people were kinda intrigued by the upside of Taven and didn't mind the confidence to double-down on a strength, if the rest of the team was going to be competent enough.  But i know i wasn't a particularly big fan of spending 2/3 of our premium picks on "backups" for the future of our already strong unit...rather than actually addressing our extremely weak unit on offense.

Especially in a draft that looked tailor-made to address an offensive unit with what looked like an abundance of potentially quality OLine and even "late 1st" type WRs (not to mention the stacked 1st round worth of QBs).

i liked the idea of Harrison because i felt like he was BPA and would help create some cap room next offseason with the release of church. hopefully we start playing more of our younger talent to see what we do and do not need in terms of young talent. 

Archived