Geron Christian tears LCL, done for season

Woz

7 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Hello  @turtle28 I think the Aguayo was the kicker in TB. He's horrible. 

Doesn’t mean he’ll always be horrible. A lot of times guys ruin their first opportunity and then do better in their second or third opportunities and end up having great careers.

Aguayo had a lot of pressure on him as a 23 year old young man, to come in and be an awesome kicker because he was drafted in the 2nd round.

IMO he cracked under that pressure, but that doesn’t mean he can’t grow from those disappointments and become what he showed at FSU.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Doesn’t mean he’ll always be horrible. A lot of times guys ruin their first opportunity and then do better in their second or third opportunities and end up having great careers.

Aguayo had a lot of pressure on him as a 23 year old young man, to come in and be an awesome kicker because he was drafted in the 2nd round.

IMO he cracked under that pressure, but that doesn’t mean he can’t grow from those disappointments and become what he showed at FSU.

Um, no. Agauyo was terrible. He IS one of the PRIME examples why you don't draft K's and P's. EVER. 

On Christian...he should be thankful that he was even drafted. Our BOOB of a front office took a swing tackle replacement instead of a future LG....In the 3rd Round....who was not the top tackle on the board at the time....who was not the top OL on the board at the time.....and now is injured for the season. 

Image result for the replacements gifs

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

On Christian...he should be thankful that he was even drafted. Our BOOB of a front office took a swing tackle replacement instead of a future LG....In the 3rd Round....who was not the top tackle on the board at the time....who was not the top OL on the board at the time.....and now is injured for the season. 

Who are you suggesting they should have taken ahead of him? I guess I would have also considered Rankin or Crosby there, but I don't think Rankin was higher on many major draft boards (lower ranked on Mayock, McShay, Kiper, etc). And while Crosby was higher on those boards than Christian, the fact that he wasn't selected until about 80 picks later in the mid-5th suggests he wasn't very well-regarded by NFL teams. 

Christian was #81 by Mayock, #38 by Kiper, #64 by McShay, and #81 by SI. NFL.com and Scott Wright both had him as a round 2-3 pick. By all accounts, based on those various pre-draft evaluations at least, he was drafted right around the appropriate time (#74).

Their handling of the LG position remains puzzling. I can't quarrel with you there. But they clearly did need a swing/developmental tackle -- Williams and Moses are both hurt frequently, and Nsekhe just turned 33. That was definitely a position that needed to be addressed in some way, and it's a position that's more highly valued in the draft than interior OL, so you can't generally sit around and wait and still get talent.

Now if you want to take issue with the Apke pick a round later, I would probably join you. That was a big reach, and it doesn't appear to have been justified based on what I've seen from him on the field thus far. I would have preferred to double up on young OL selections (at the time and in retrospect), even though clearly safety depth was also a need. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Who are you suggesting they should have taken ahead of him? I guess I would have also considered Rankin or Crosby there, but I don't think Rankin was higher on many major draft boards (lower ranked on Mayock, McShay, Kiper, etc). And while Crosby was higher on those boards than Christian, the fact that he wasn't selected until about 80 picks later in the mid-5th suggests he wasn't very well-regarded by NFL teams. 

Christian was #81 by Mayock, #38 by Kiper, #64 by McShay, and #81 by SI. NFL.com and Scott Wright both had him as a round 2-3 pick. By all accounts, based on those various pre-draft evaluations at least, he was drafted right around the appropriate time (#74).

Their handling of the LG position remains puzzling. I can't quarrel with you there. But they clearly did need a swing/developmental tackle -- Williams and Moses are both hurt frequently, and Nsekhe just turned 33. That was definitely a position that needed to be addressed in some way, and it's a position that's more highly valued in the draft than interior OL, so you can't generally sit around and wait and still get talent.

Now if you want to take issue with the Apke pick a round later, I would probably join you. That was a big reach, and it doesn't appear to have been justified based on what I've seen from him on the field thus far. I would have preferred to double up on young OL selections (at the time and in retrospect), even though clearly safety depth was also a need. 

Martinas Rankin fluctuated between the 1st and 3rd rounds. Orlando Brown was a 1st round talent, but his 14 reps at the combine really scratched some heads and turned away some teams. Noteboom would have been a better choice. 

Yes, instead of Troy Apke, they should have grabbed Brian Allen from Michigan State or even Wyatt Teller from Virginia Tech. 

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I read it's a MCL tear. Not sure if that's the inside or outside of the knee but you doctor types,,.. recover from this surgery is easier and much quicker than an ACL repair. Is that correct ?

WaPo is reporting it as a MCL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/12/redskins-rookie-offensive-tackle-geron-christian-is-out-season-with-knee-injury/

Rookie offensive tackle Geron Christian tore a medial collateral ligament while playing just three snaps in Sunday’s 16-3 win at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Redskins Coach Jay Gruden said Monday. Christian will require surgery and is out for the season.

MCL is the knee's inside ligament:

c_h9991916_001.jpg

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/mcl-injury-what-to-know#1

It’s rare for someone with an MCL injury to need surgery, since this ligament can often heal within a few weeks or months with the help of other measures. But you might need it, especially if another part of your knee is also hurt.

Whether or not you need surgery, you may be able to play sports again with a few weeks or months. Your doctor can let you know when it’s OK to get back to those activities, and she may ask you to wear a knee brace when you’re active.

So possibly it's more than just the MCL if he needs surgery?

15 hours ago, Woz said:

Great info ! If a ligament is completely torn- no way in Hell it'll repair itself. Don't understand that part. Still- seems not near as bad as an ACL. Should be a good recovery and back ready to go next year. 

Archived