Sean McDermott defense appreciation thread.

Trentwannabe

Image result for sean mcdermott

The last few weeks I have been very, very critical of McDermott, even calling for his job on more than one occasion. However, I wanted to eat some crow and type up an appreciation thread for him. Lets start with the players he can identify and coach up into quality starters and down right ballers.

Tre White: The first pick in the McDermott era, a draft in which Sean was clearly in charge and Whaley was allowed to be in the room for no other reason than to avoid drama. McDermott took a smart CB who most draft pundits had labeled as a safe but not flashy player. McDermott has taken that safe player and turned him into a shutdown corner for the past 26 games. White has flourished in the zone scheme that McDermott utilizes and looks the part of a corner piece for this Bills defense moving forward.

Matt Milano: Arguably the best accomplishment during the McDermott era (save of making the playoffs) is the emergence of the former 5th round pick out of Boston College. When drafted, Milano had all the characteristics of a "McDermott guy", he was a team captain, hard worker and an unselfish player. Fast forward a year and a half and he is one of the best WLB in the NFL today. His nose for the football is unmatched over the last 26 games with 8 PDEF, 3 Ints (1TD), 1 FF and 4 FR (1TD). A guy who was likely seen as a core special teams guy is now one half of one of the youngest LB tandem in the league.

Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde: McDermott found two veteran NFL safeties who were castoffs from their former team. He signed them to lucrative deals and now has them playing as a top S unit. Last season they were getting turnovers, sacking the QB and showing the young players the way. This year is more of the same, though statistically maybe not playing as well, they are still a dangerous unit that McDermott hand picked to be the back end of his defense.

Taron Johnson: What a bright spot this kid has been. A tough physical specimen who embraces the slot corner role. He has played lights out keeping players like Edelman, Gabriel, Fuller/Coute, and Taylor in check and zero touchdowns. Another handpicked defensive back by McDermott who looks like a sure fire starter moving forward.

Now lets take a look at the statistics this season through 10 games:

Ranked 1st in YPG
Ranked 2nd against the Pass
Ranked 12th against the run
Ranked 12th in sacks
Ranked 13th in INT

Now this entire Bills team has its faults on offense and some of the decision McDermott has made at QB is a fireable offence IMO, he clearly has the team beveling in him and his process as evident by the butt whooping put on the Jets yesterday. When he has the respect and trust of Kyle Williams, I am on board. These final 6 games, the Bills will see only 1 top 18 scoring offense (New England). This defense will likely continue to gel and be down right dominant allowing the Josh Allen lead offense time to find their feet and build chemistry towards the future. I expect the Bills to finish 7-9 or 8-8 and go into the off-season spending a lot of their cap on WR's and the right side of their line. With McDermott at the helm, the defense will be able to flourish with mid round selections and quality veteran free agents and the offense can begin to take the next step. LETS GO!

Honestly its been incredible. We still have some games where it seems like just arent prepared for teams, mostly the Colts game springs to mind, but it's been trying it's best to carry this corpse of an offense all season. Milano absolutely should be in the pro bowl this season, what a player. The improved defensive line has really given the LBs a chance to shine. 

This defensive unit gives me real hope that we can have a quick turnaround next season. If we get competent QB play next season and can hit on most of our acquisitions in FA I dont see any reason we can't be competing for a playoff spot. 

Did you just say we are going to go 5-1 or 4-2 to end the season? Lmao. What is wrong with you? ( i still love you) but that’s crazy.

Onto Sean, I’m torn. I really am. I love the guy because he broke the drought, but he hasn’t given us any reason to believe that he can field a competent offense, and if you can’t do that in this era you’re done. We need a major overhaul on offense, clearly. Although the line has been better as the season has progressed. If the offense doesn’t take a MAJOR step forward next season he has to go, and that has to be communicated to him going into the offseason, him and Beane. I believe in Josh. Give the kid some weapons. I love our defense too, and it’s great what he’s done, but i’d love it if we could add a top talent pass rusher, that would make our defense an almost unstoppable force. 

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Did you just say we are going to go 5-1 or 4-2 to end the season? Lmao. What is wrong with you? ( i still love you) but that’s crazy.

Onto Sean, I’m torn. I really am. I love the guy because he broke the drought, but he hasn’t given us any reason to believe that he can field a competent offense, and if you can’t do that in this era you’re done. We need a major overhaul on offense, clearly. Although the line has been better as the season has progressed. If the offense doesn’t take a MAJOR step forward next season he has to go, and that has to be communicated to him going into the offseason, him and Beane. I believe in Josh. Give the kid some weapons. I love our defense too, and it’s great what he’s done, but i’d love it if we could add a top talent pass rusher, that would make our defense an almost unstoppable force. 

I find it concerning we get blown the eff out in so many games. Maybe it's simply down to lack of talent but the amount of games we've lost by 20+ and never even been in the game is pretty startling. I definitely think next season is going to be make or break for him. We definitely need to see some major improvements in this team and he will have by far the most talented team he's had in Buffalo to do so next season. 

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I don't see the Jags, Jets, Dolphins or Lions coming into Buffalo and doing anything against this defense. If Shady is back and Allen is making his plays, they are not only winnable games, but games we should win.

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

I don't see the Jags, Jets, Dolphins or Lions coming into Buffalo and doing anything against this defense. If Shady is back and Allen is making his plays, they are not only winnable games, but games we should win.

Im not counting on this offense to put up over 10 points a game ever, and expecting our defense to hold opponents to single digits is a tall task.

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Im not counting on this offense to put up over 10 points a game ever, and expecting our defense to hold opponents to single digits is a tall task.

I wouldn't quite go that far but I'm definitely closer to this than calling any game a "should win", just don't think we're there yet. 

The bills defense has been amazing and when they give up the yards they bend but rarely break unless they are put in tough situations. The GB may have been considered a blow out, the Pats game, and the texans game were all on the offense and the bills defense kept them in those 3 games as much as possible. If it wasnt for peterman pick 6 for texans at the end, or anderson pick 6 against the pats they could have won. No will allen step up and play better we sure hope so and I think it is possible. The bills d got slashed and deserved to lose that Indy game for sure. I am not concerned about the opponents offense I am more concerned about their defense and the teams that are left  majority of them have crap defenses in which the bills should be able to take advantage of. The jets and phins should be 3-0 but i am assuming they will split with the phins 1-1 as their offense is horrible and the defense keeps them around but gets shredded at times. Bills will be able to be aggressive attacking that oline and getting to Brock or Tannehill as much as they can causing turnovers or 3rd and longs. Jags will be a different story as it will go to who turns the ball over less or makes more 1st downs then the other winning the field position. Detroit d is at the bottom half of every statistic so they should be able to beat them out as well. So I do believe that they can close out the season 5-1 or 4-2 if the offense can be consistent on moving the ball. Dont have to score but they just have to move the ball. 

Archived