Panthers waive RB CJ Anderson

TheKillerNacho

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like he's been still somewhat effective based on his numbers.

I'm sure he signed here expecting to get more touches than he has, but Norv Turner NEVER (right or wrong) takes McCaffrey off the field.  He's played like 98% of our snaps this year and like every offensive snap for the last 3-4 games (not sure about the Steelers game).  I reckon he merely got disgruntled, but he's still got some power.  I reckon he'll find work before the end of the season.

It did seem like we would give him more time until he cost us the Falcons game with an awful drop that led to an INT in Falcons territory.  Ever since then he never plays other than here and there.

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I'm sure he signed here expecting to get more touches than he has, but Norv Turner NEVER (right or wrong) takes McCaffrey off the field.  He's played like 98% of our snaps this year and like every offensive snap for the last 3-4 games (not sure about the Steelers game).  I reckon he merely got disgruntled, but he's still got some power.  I reckon he'll find work before the end of the season.

It did seem like we would give him more time until he cost us the Falcons game with an awful drop that led to an INT in Falcons territory.  Ever since then he never plays other than here and there.

Yeah, Norv Turner is very stubborn. We barely ever used McKinnon, except as a WR occasionally when Adrian Peterson was going off in 2015.  Norv isn't going to change up his offense.

But it's working, so more power to him. 

19 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I was certain you were being hyperbolic..

But I went and looked and...

mvWMr0D.png

Good lord, Norv.

Probably would've made more sense for the Jaguars to sign him or something, rather than trading a pick for Carlos Hyde.  Considering they don't really seem to want to use Hyde anyway.  If they could've just held off for a couple weeks and missed out on those whopping 9 carries or whatever it's been.

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

Curious if anyone thinks C.J. Anderson is an upgrade over Stevan Ridley?

If you're only talking about the rest of the year, then no. If you're talking long-term, then neither. If you absolutely HAVE to choose between the two, long-term (which is ridiculous when you can find the same amount talent for less in late rounds of the draft or even in FA), then I would take Anderson. 

Bottomline, Steelers need a better situational back in the near future either way, IMO. 

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Curious if anyone thinks C.J. Anderson is an upgrade over Stevan Ridley?

Problem with CJ in the modern NFL is that he is zero (and I mean, zero) threat in the passing game. 

He's average/below average in pass pro (surprising for a man of his size) and he creates no mismatches as a route runner. Therefore when he's in the game, there is a ridiculously high chance that it's going to be run or even if it is pass, the Defense can stay in their base/Nickel defense because Anderson can be covered by an ILB without any doubt whatsoever.

I still think he can find a home in a one cut, zone running scheme like the one Kyle Shanahan runs. Because a lot of the passing game comes out of zone running Play Action, the responsibility of the RB in the passing game is far less than most other schemes ran in the NFL.

I wish him the best of success. He was a top class guy in Denver and I am glad he's managed to get paid over $12 million so far in his career; not bad for a UFA RB.

Archived