Eagles RBs

Bednarik60

15 minutes ago, Phire said:

If Clement gets in it's because Pumphrey takes a redshirt year aka IR. He isn't taking Smallwood's spot.

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

All for PS or IR for Pump. He's not ready. 

I think that's the solution to keeping both Smallwood and Clement. 

The thing is we probably would like to have Pumphrey for those more creative looks with Sproles whether that's Pumphrey in the slot and Sproles in the backfield or both in the backfield. Plus, if Sproles goes down with an injury we will probably wish we had Pumphrey to utilize as a pass catcher. 

I think we can put Clement on the practice squad. Don't think anyone picks him up unless he kills it in the next 2 preseason games.

Promote him to the 53 if someone goes down.

Unless Pederson pulls a Reid with one of his mysterious IR designations (short term 6gm though not season ending) I don't see any scenario where Pump or Smallwood are cut.

They were to high on both players before their injuries to just cut bait and waste a draft pick because this year's TC Hero is a RB. If one can be short termed IR, Clement makes the 53. Otherwise it's the PS and Probably scooped up by another.

Does anyone watch Pumphrey and think that he's NFL ready? I just feel like he could really benefit from a developmental year. I don't feel comfortable throwing him out on the field this year. I understand what the Birds want to do with him, but I don't know that it happens this year. With that said, he's been pretty involved in practice with all the Sproles-lite plays.

20 minutes ago, Phire said:

Does anyone watch Pumphrey and think that he's NFL ready? I just feel like he could really benefit from a developmental year. I don't feel comfortable throwing him out on the field this year. I understand what the Birds want to do with him, but I don't know that it happens this year. With that said, he's been pretty involved in practice with all the Sproles-lite plays.

Define "NFL ready"?

I don't think he's gonna be able to add a lot more weight like some were saying when we drafted him. 

I think he'll get stronger with a year in a NFL strength and conditioning program though.

He needs to improve in pass protection, but even with improved technique he'll still struggle to block guys that aren't corners at his size.

Also, you have to realize if we put Pumphrey on IR this year that means he can't practice with the team and that really slows his development.

13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Define "NFL ready"?

I don't think he's gonna be able to add a lot more weight like some were saying when we drafted him. 

I think he'll get stronger with a year in a NFL strength and conditioning program though.

He needs to improve in pass protection, but even with improved technique he'll still struggle to block guys that aren't corners at his size.

Also, you have to realize if we put Pumphrey on IR this year that means he can't practice with the team and that really slows his development.

NFL ready for a RB would mean getting as far from 170 lbs as possible. He's already saying he gained some weight in a few months he's been with the team. You can always add more weight. If he ever has to pass protect our QB and Pumphrey are getting hurt.

Howie: "your ankle is fractured, yeah its really messed up, tweet that "fracture" , even better "hairline fracture" that sounds technical. 

Pump: "wut my ankles are fine?" 

Howie: "*awkward winking* your ankle is messed up... fractured ... you fractured it!" 

Pump: "WTF is going on here!? Im fine... " 

Howie: "Hey just talk to Doug and he says your hurt to.. " 

Pump: ":o"

15 minutes ago, Phire said:

NFL ready for a RB would mean getting as far from 170 lbs as possible. He's already saying he gained some weight in a few months he's been with the team. You can always add more weight. If he ever has to pass protect our QB and Pumphrey are getting hurt.

1.) He's listed at 176 lbs by the Eagles.

2.) Then, don't have him in to pass protect?

I mean I wasn't a fan of the Pumphrey pick when it was made and still am not really a fan, but c'mon.

Pumphrey is gonna get hurt if he has to pass protect? He stayed very healthy in college with a massive workload and has taken hard hits in preseason and hasn't got injured.

Wentz can also evade rushers and is a pretty big dude. I don't think he'll be snapped in half if Pumphrey ends up getting him sacked.

However, it is kind of a moot point, because I don't think Pumphrey will be asked to pass protect much at all.

What do you think about my point about putting him on IR slowing down his development?

You get away with not being able to pass protect if you can catch, nothing pulls back a pass rush then a RB chipping off yards on those "dink and dunk" passes behind the pass rush and eventually the pass rush pulls back/drops into zone coverage o spy on the RB. 

Archived