Coaches on the hot seat

naptownskinsfan

With Petrino out at Louisville, who are some of the names on the hot seat right now?  

Clay Helton has to have the hottest of them all- while I don't think anyone expected USC to compete for the playoffs with a true freshman under center, they certainly want to be better than 5-5.  He's also taken away playcalling from OC Tee Martin.  

Larry Fedora is probably another who has a very hot seat.  

I've also read in places where Paul Johnson could be pushed into retirement by Georgia Tech.  

Scottie Montgomery will need a miracle to prevent a third straight 3-9 season at East Carolina, though the school currently does not have an AD so that could save him for another year.  

As a Navy fan, Coach Ken is not in danger even with a 2-8 record right now, but both coordinators definitely are on the hot seat.  

Helton has to be 1A on the list. Surprised he’s still around honestly. 

As far as major jobs goes, I’d have said Malzahn until recently. Would have made sense. Taggart and Richt are safe but both schools should cut their losses early honestly. 

Realistically, Chris Ashe is doing nothing at Rutgers because there’s zero to work with. He will he out likely. Edsall, Lovie Smith, and Fedora come to mind. Too early with Chip at UCLA but he’s heading in the direction of 3 straight HC failures. 

ODU needs to wise up and move on from Bobby Wilder. Now in FBS, in a recruit bed that scorching hot for talent. They need a guy that can keep them home and build a solid team. Hes a great FCS coach, and should go back to that level.

Malzahn should probably go. But 7 years, 49 million 11 month old contract will probably say he stays. Be a tremendous buyout for him.

Arkansas should probably cut their losses early. Team looks clueless on the field at times.

UNLV needs to move on. I think the sun is setting on Sanchez there. 4-5 years with a .300some win percentage should have anyone packing their bags.

Rest have been mentioned. Not many high profile openings this season it seems.

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i don't even know what to do with mark richt at this point, but at the absolute least his seat needs to be on fire heading into next year.

He was just in the Orange Bowl last year. He gets rid of what remains of Goldens players and theyre all his taking the roster spots. I think things pick back up. Cause these seniors he has to start were not part of a great class. And frees Richt up 20some spots. I dont see any cause of concern unless next year he falls flat on his face.

30 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

He was just in the Orange Bowl last year. He gets rid of what remains of Goldens players and theyre all his taking the roster spots. I think things pick back up. Cause these seniors he has to start were not part of a great class. And frees Richt up 20some spots. I dont see any cause of concern unless next year he falls flat on his face.

almost all of the successful players on the team right now are golden players. he's hand-picked a bunch of highly-rated QB recruits and failed to develop a single one. his incoming recruiting class for '19 is looking abysmal.

14 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The roster is not top to bottom loaded with talent, but there is more than enough talent there to be able to beat Virginia, Duke, and Georgia Tech. 

Mark Richt insists on calling the plays and he has been abysmal. His system is outdated and predictable. Is he handicapped in what he can call because of what Miami has at the QB position? Sure. But that's also a reflection of Mark and his QB coach son, Jon's failure to coach up who is on the roster and Mark's refusal to tailor his plays around his players' strengths.

Malik Rosier is extremely limited as a downfield passer. So what kind of plays does Mark Richt call? Deep outs, skinny posts, and go routes. Miami's QBs have to throw the ball deep (if they have time with all the slow developing routes) or check it short. There is no intermediate passing game in Richt's offense. There is no motion. There are no adjustments.

N’Kosi Perry is far more physically gifted, but he looks like a deer in headlights at times. There are no easy, confidence building throws. There are no RPOs to take advantage of his athleticism. Again, there are no intermediate routes whatsoever. Everything is deep or a check down.

If Richt doesn't change it doesn't matter how talented the roster is. His offense, playcalling, and QB coaching is killing the team. The offense's limitations were masked last year by the absurd turnover margin the defense afforded. That's not something that is consistent and can be counted on. The offense sucks and there's no reason it should with how much talent Miami has at the skill positions.

16 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Helton has to be 1A on the list. Surprised he’s still around honestly. 

As far as major jobs goes, I’d have said Malzahn until recently. Would have made sense. Taggart and Richt are safe but both schools should cut their losses early honestly. 

Realistically, Chris Ashe is doing nothing at Rutgers because there’s zero to work with. He will he out likely. Edsall, Lovie Smith, and Fedora come to mind. Too early with Chip at UCLA but he’s heading in the direction of 3 straight HC failures. 

Whose fault is that? He's in year 3, this is when a HC's identity should start to be reflected in their team. He returned most of a 4-8 team that only lost games by 10 PPG, and believe it or not built some semblance of momentum after winning 3 B1G games (having only won 1 in the 2 years prior) and had an improved recruiting class... but now this year is sitting at 1-9 and losing games by twice as many PPG, including a humiliating loss against KU in what was a passing of the torch as the power 5's biggest joke. Ash has been a swing and a miss hire, he's just a poor HC. Unfortunately he's not really on the hot seat, not with his $10M buyout if he is canned after 2018.

Take Lovie off the list too, he's got an even more ridiculous buyout, I think it's $12M. I have no idea how these coaches do it, their agents are maestros.

Crowds have booed the past 2 UH games. (at smu and vs temple and i attended both loses).  Applewhite for sure is on the hot seat.  I think he will fire D'onofrio as DC and be back one more year.  Unfortunately for him next season's schedule is harder so he might be canned.  I hate Applewhite with a passion and I started a petition to remove him as HC. 

Archived