Coaches on the hot seat

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Oh Maryland... Hire a 3-31 record coach. Then hire Butch Jones as associate coach.

How do you keep the hits coming? You hire Rutgers secondary coach.

Butch as an assistant isn't a bad hire. He's a great recruiter.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, jrry32 said:

Butch as an assistant isn't a bad hire. He's a great recruiter.

Except that's why they hired the head coach, because he's a great recruiter especially in the area that Maryland is located.  He needed to surround himself with X's and O's guys, but is doing the opposite. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Except that's why they hired the head coach, because he's a great recruiter especially in the area that Maryland is located.  He needed to surround himself with X's and O's guys, but is doing the opposite. 

Butch is the TE Coach. That's usually the position where you have a strong recruiter.

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is most certainly interesting.  Already has experience recruiting in an area that has some pretty good talent, just a level below it.  Pretty good hire. 

Forgive me, but is the surrounding area particularly talent rich? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to form an opinion, but I'd imagine Maryland's general location is probably pretty good for recruiting the Ohio Valley, Virginia, etc. Pull from Big10, ACC, and SEC grounds all at once, under the right circumstances.

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Forgive me, but is the surrounding area particularly talent rich? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to form an opinion, but I'd imagine Maryland's general location is probably pretty good for recruiting the Ohio Valley, Virginia, etc. Pull from Big10, ACC, and SEC grounds all at once, under the right circumstances.

I think the main target is New Jersey. They put out a huge amount of talent. With nothing but Rutgers in state. If he can lock up Maryland, do well in NJ and draw a few from Virginia. Hed have something good going.

AEKxBnY.0.png

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is most certainly interesting.  Already has experience recruiting in an area that has some pretty good talent, just a level below it.  Pretty good hire. 

Time will tell but the last 3 years under Saban can only help Lox.  After all he’s been through with losing his son, I’m stoked for him. 

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Maryland and Washington D.C. always have some blue chip type of guys. Maryland just hasn’t locked it down, and it’s become the California of the east. Guys like Dwayne Haskins and Chase Young could have been Terps. Haskins was at one point, actually. The 2020 class alone has 3 DC kids from the same HS that are top 100 guys, two of which are top 25. They aren’t going to keep the big dogs from coming on their soil and doing some poaching. They probably won’t steal surrounding state blue chip guys from PSU, Clemson, OSU, etc. But there’s enough talent in Maryland, NJ, and DC that hiring guys with local connections could make a real mark in the area, which is their best chance.  

Illinois... Become the next Rutgers, and everyone gets raises for it.

• Offensive coordinator Rod Smith got a $200k raise from $500k to $700k and he is set to make $750k in 2020.
  • OL coach Rod Smith will now make $375k
  • WRs coach Andrew Hayes-Stoker will now make $335k
  • RBs coach Thad Ward will now earn $315k
  • Secondary coach Gill Byrd will now make $300k
  • DL coach Austin Clark will make $275k
  • TEs coach Cory Patterson will make $275k
  • Strength coach Joe Boese will now earn $255k

Lovie himself gets a million dollar bump.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mse326 said:

Why in god's name would Holgorsen leave West Virginia for Houston?

like i said i'll believe it when i see it but its not farfetched as you think.

1.  he is supposedly real cool with tilman fertita

2. wvu looks like he is balking at giving him an extension

3.  he still has his house in houston

4.  have you seen morgantown? 

5.  houston is job is better than most p5 jobs especially now with the new facilities.

6.  looks like wvu fans/alums are tired of him underachieving. 

Archived