Coaches on the hot seat

naptownskinsfan

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The seat for Clay Helton must be on fire right now.  USC is still fighting for a bowl bid, and lost to UCLA who earned just their third win on the year in a game with recruiting implications.  

They better make a splash move bcuz the dynamic in LA is flipping.  

17 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

They better make a splash move bcuz the dynamic in LA is flipping.  

Eh, that’s debateable. UCLA will always place more of its resources into basketball than football, and USC has more resources in general. The problem over there has been laziness and arrogance in its athletic department. I think a loss like this will force the program to make a big splash and get a guy who isn’t associated with the program and will reestablish them as an immediate powerhouse. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they call someone like Bob Stoops. I’m not saying he’s the best guy for the job, but he knows how to succeed in high pressure positions.

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Eh, that’s debateable. UCLA will always place more of its resources into basketball than football, and USC has more resources in general. The problem over there has been laziness and arrogance in its athletic department. I think a loss like this will force the program to make a big splash and get a guy who isn’t associated with the program and will reestablish them as an immediate powerhouse. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they call someone like Bob Stoops. I’m not saying he’s the best guy for the job, but he knows how to succeed in high pressure positions.

It will be interesting to see what Lynn Swann does here.  Haden made a poor decision to give Helton the gig full time.  It was an emotional bowl win and all but they're USC- they can make the splash hire. They prolly shoulda bagged up Tom Herman (year earlier than Texas did).  Normally I wouldn't trust Guerrero but he did luck into Chip Kelly.  

21 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

It will be interesting to see what Lynn Swann does here.  Haden made a poor decision to give Helton the gig full time.  It was an emotional bowl win and all but they're USC- they can make the splash hire. They prolly shoulda bagged up Tom Herman (year earlier than Texas did).  Normally I wouldn't trust Guerrero but he did luck into Chip Kelly.  

Valid points. The only question is who the splash hire would be. There aren’t a lot of coaches who fit that profile, and fewer still would can handle the pressure of being at a place like USC. 

As far as Tom Herman goes, I think Texas always had the inside track there. In my opinion, Texas and USC are the two best jobs in the country when you factor in all of the variables and amenities which accompany the cities they’re in, but Texas gets the nod because of the lack of state income tax. I’ve lived in both southern California and Dallas, and lemme tell ya, the cost of living differential is HUGE.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

The seat for Clay Helton must be on fire right now.  USC is still fighting for a bowl bid, and lost to UCLA who earned just their third win on the year in a game with recruiting implications.  

Chip is a good coach but he hates recruiting and this class reflects that. 79th in the nation, 12/12 in the Pac.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, thrILL! said:

Probably hire JDR because USC can't get out its own way and hire the right coach instead of just finding a USC man. Swann didn't deserve an AD job in the least, and he's probably going to do whatever the BoT wants.

That being said, Chip's recruiting is currently so damn mediocre that the dynamic may not flip that much if USC makes the right choice. This UCLA team is loaded with talent from Mora.

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Probably hire JDR because USC can't get out its own way and hire the right coach instead of just finding a USC man. Swann didn't deserve an AD job in the least, and he's probably going to do whatever the BoT wants.

That being said, Chip's recruiting is currently so damn mediocre that the dynamic may not flip that much if USC makes the right choice. This UCLA team is loaded with talent from Mora.

Yeah, I'm confused as heck on how Swann ended up with that job.  Just seems like he's a figurehead for someone else, likely the BoT as you stated.  

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Give 'em Jeff Fisher.

Brad Lambert, who opened the football program at Charlotte, has been relieved of his duties as head coach.  My cousin coached a few years under Lambert- it was a promising start to a program with back-to-back 5-6 seasons, but they've really tailed off in recent seasons.  

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/19/charlotte-relieves-brad-lambert-will-look-for-second-coach-in-program-history/

BK's projections
Bowling Green - Chip Long
Buffalo - Ryan Day
Colorado - Matt Wells
Georgia Tech - Bill Clark
Iowa State - Seth Littrell
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Maryland - Matt Canada
North Carolina - Neal Brown
Purdue - Lance Leipold
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
USC - Matt Campbell
Utah State - Gary Andersen

No idea for the vacancies at North Texas, Troy or UAB doe

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

BK's projections
Bowling Green - Chip Long
Buffalo - Ryan Day
Colorado - Matt Wells
Georgia Tech - Bill Clark
Iowa State - Seth Littrell
Louisville - Jeff Brohm
Maryland - Matt Canada
North Carolina - Neal Brown
Purdue - Lance Leipold
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
USC - Matt Campbell
Utah State - Gary Andersen

No idea for the vacancies at North Texas, Troy or UAB doe

Matt Campbell would be a great hire for USC, which is exactly why it won't happen lol

3 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Matt Campbell would be a great hire for USC, which is exactly why it won't happen lol

My projections are based on intelligent hires, not the friggin' lunacy that will most assuredly happen at USC. Really didn't feel like writing Jack Del Rio there lol.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My projections are based on intelligent hires, not the friggin' lunacy that will most assuredly happen at USC. Really didn't feel like writing Jack Del Rio there lol.

Watching Jeff Fisher pretend he's qualified to coach in college will be quite fun. Shame Tennessee couldn't land Gruden, complete the factory of delusional insanity.

Archived