Colorado fires Mike MacIntyre

JammerHammer21

Yeah, I definitely agree on finding someone markedly better.  This isn't the job a big program coordinator takes in hopes of moving up to a bigger program in a couple years.  However, six years and only one bowl game probably spoke volumes to them, and they stalled out after a very good start to the season too.  It's all about the bowl games and the money those bring in, and to not move the needle on that end was the end of it.  

MM is a good rebuild coach, however he’s not the type of coach to sustain success. He doesn’t recruit at a consistent level and OL recruiting is god awful. CU in the last 2 seasons is 0-8 after they get the 5th win. Is CU ever going to be a powerhouse top 10 team like the 80s/90s? No, maybe the occasional 10 win runs but there’s no reason CU shouldn’t be able to get to 8/9 wins a year.

Would be a very good fit for a G5 school or P5 like KU. But Miles is a good bet, him and the AD are best pals.

Colorado could easily be a big name program in the country again. They have THE BEST STADIUM in college football, and have upgraded their facilities tremendously. It should be an easy sell to college recruits. 

I also think that it's a job that would really excite a hot coordinator. You have the best WR/athlete in the country, most likely a senior QB coming back, and you have one of the best recruiting classes of MM tenure coming in. O-line will be markedly better, and the defense should to. Whoever takes over could easily inherit an 8-10 win team next year. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:42 AM, broncosfan07 said:

MM is a good rebuild coach, however he’s not the type of coach to sustain success. He doesn’t recruit at a consistent level and OL recruiting is god awful. CU in the last 2 seasons is 0-8 after they get the 5th win. Is CU ever going to be a powerhouse top 10 team like the 80s/90s? No, maybe the occasional 10 win runs but there’s no reason CU shouldn’t be able to get to 8/9 wins a year.

Would be a very good fit for a G5 school or P5 like KU. But Miles is a good bet, him and the AD are best pals.

That is crazy that they are winless after getting the fifth win.  Gotta wonder what factors into that. 

21 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Colorado could easily be a big name program in the country again. They have THE BEST STADIUM in college football, and have upgraded their facilities tremendously. It should be an easy sell to college recruits. 

I also think that it's a job that would really excite a hot coordinator. You have the best WR/athlete in the country, most likely a senior QB coming back, and you have one of the best recruiting classes of MM tenure coming in. O-line will be markedly better, and the defense should to. Whoever takes over could easily inherit an 8-10 win team next year. 

I get why they're moving on. It's a questionable decision imo, but I get it. However, the idea that it's an easy sell to recruits sounds quite unlikely to me.

There are a lot of really interesting potential hires out there. To name a few:

Seth Littrell from North Texas

Neal Brown from Troy

Bill Clark from UAB

Jeff Tedford from Fresno State

Scott Satterfield from App. State

Todd Monken from Tampa Bay

However, I gotta think that Eric Bieniemy is going to high on their list. He's arguably the best HB Coach in the NFL. His offense in KC is killing it (I know that it's Andy's offense, but that didn't stop Pederson or Nagy from getting promotions). He was a star player at the program during their glory years and is still beloved. If he doesn't want to hold out for a NFL HC job, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

There are a lot of really interesting potential hires out there. To name a few:

Neal Brown from Troy

Bill Clark from UAB

Jeff Tedford from Fresno State

Eric Bieniemy 

My top 4 in no particular order.

Brown has been really solid.

It's hard to put a value on what Clark has done at UAB given the circumstances. It can't be overstated. I don't know that he's much different than MacIntyre (program builder, not a long term winner) but he's definitely earned the shot to prove otherwise. 

Tedford definitely deserves to be coaching at a P5 school again. But I feel like I recall him taking Fresno as a "dream"/homecoming job. Not too sure he'll get lured away.

Bieniemy for all the reasons you listed. 

People forget that Bieniemy was the OC for CU under Embree, and we all know how that worked out. I think one name that should be mentioned is Jim McElwain. Had success at another Colorado school and for a time at Florida. would most likely be inexpensive. Helfrich is the name I like, but wouldn't be surprised if CU missed on a few of their main targets. 

Archived