Week 11 GDT: Titans @ Colts

Titans fan 617

Local morning radio, talking about the failures of offensive and defensive lines. 

PFF graded Spain in the 40s. For what it's worth.

Coach Mac talked about how the line got dominated and how Marcus was running for his life in contrast to Luck  who didn't get touched.

Also said Marcus didn't play as well as he did the last 3 weeks. 

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

He did have a terrible game. 

He needs to really own his technique this offseason he struggles against going against WR that matches his athleticism, note Tyreke Hill, will Fuller, Ty Hilton Antonio Brown last year, hell we can go back when John Ross torched him in college. 

Just now, dtait93 said:

That bomb he allowed to Hilton was terrible. Had no idea where the ball was. He could have easily broken it up if he whipped his head around a little quicker.

No doubt & same thing on the pass interference call just wrap yo head around 

10 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He needs to really own his technique this offseason he struggles against going against WR that matches his athleticism, note Tyreke Hill, will Fuller, Ty Hilton Antonio Brown last year, hell we can go back when John Ross torched him in college. 

With his skill, he should be able to stick with  any WR. He could almost technically be a WR with the way he moves. He has played well this season, but yesterday was definitely a very low point. 
Doesn't help the D-line couldn't even touch Luck's jersey. 

What happened to the offensive line? The Colts sacked Marcus Mariota (four) and backup Blaine Gabbert (one) a total of five times on the day. The right sack of the offensive line particularly had a rough day at the office. Both right tackle Jack Conklin and right guard Josh Kline allowed five quarterback pressures each, with Kline surrendering two of the five sacks on the day. The Titans have to consider addressing the interior offensive line before next season. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/LongFormArticle/Five-observations-from-Titans-loss-to-the-Colts-124956327/

It was two plays in particular I was like WTF with the O-line.  The one Marcus got hurt and the 1st sack.  The blitz was coming and it looked like the team recognized it coming. The pass was set to go to the right side of the field and Marcus tried to stand in the pocket but it wasn't picked up by Kline, Conklin and I think Lewis. It left one guy free. 
Then it was one where it seemed like the whole line got to the QB and then it was a dogpile on top. ( What happened to protecting the QB there?) 

Just another piece to the puzzle of why yesterday went wrong. 

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

With his skill, he should be able to stick with  any WR. He could almost technically be a WR with the way he moves. He has played well this season, but yesterday was definitely a very low point. 
Doesn't help the D-line couldn't even touch Luck's jersey. 

Right he hasn’t really played against any WR other than will Fuller he beat him bad earlier in the season. He needs to become a student of the game 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/LongFormArticle/Five-observations-from-Titans-loss-to-the-Colts-124956327/

It was two plays in particular I was like WTF with the O-line.  The one Marcus got hurt and the 1st sack.  The blitz was coming and it looked like the team recognized it coming. The pass was set to go to the right side of the field and Marcus tried to stand in the pocket but it wasn't picked up by Kline, Conklin and I think Lewis. It left one guy free. 
Then it was one where it seemed like the whole line got to the QB and then it was a dogpile on top. ( What happened to protecting the QB there?) 

Just another piece to the puzzle of why yesterday went wrong. 

Kline & Ben Jones are finesse players they have no power to their game nor can they anchor against stronger  guys without help 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Kline & Ben Jones are finesse players they have no power to their game nor can they anchor against stronger  guys without help 

Which makes Kline's contract even more puzzling.  @ragevsuall17 Can we get out of his deal? We need to purge the inside of the O-line in my opinion. None of them need to stay. Move Kelly to an OG or if Conklin if need be. Anything to get the best 5 out there. 

You can see where Marcus hits his back foot. In the past 3 games, that ball was likely to come out as soon as he hits it. You can see the defender squatting on the routes. So it causes him to pause for a half second.

Spain is put on skates and is right in Marcus face.
Right when Marcus is winding up to pass, he pulls it due to the pressure and is sacked.

Critic could say he should have passed it.
Defender could say the pressure caused the hesitation as well as the lurking defenders.

You make the call...

Darius Leonard, NFL Leading tackler, is spying Marcus. The rush is coming around the edge causing Marcus to step up. Leonard explodes out of his coverage for a strip sack. 
Marcus eyes are downfield, leading me to believe that is where the ball is designed to go. You can see Firkser to the top, what looks to be getting open right as Marcus starts to step up due to the edge pressure. Prior, you to that you see the defender once again squatting on the route. 

Coach Mac this morning was talking about Luck having so much time he was able to go to his 4th or 5th option on a play. 
Marcus doesn't have that much time.  He was criticized for not stepping up in the Dallas game, that led to a strip sack, fumble.  
He steps up here, looking down field, trying to give his WRs a little extra time to get to their spots or get open. Leonard does a great job of closing in and eliminating that option.

Critic could say, he should have either threw the ball down the field earlier and hope for this Wr to make a play. Or  He should have dumped it to Firkser.
Defender could say, he didn't take a risk or force the ball downfield or he didn't have time to see Firsker in the corner, because of the scramble and speed at with Leonard closed the window to throw.

You Make the Call. 

Regarding the two sacks above, I think the first one Marcus should have gotten rid of faster. Yeah the defender is there in a way, but with proper timing, the defender shouldn't be factored in the equation. I also think Spain getting bumrushed was a factor, seeing he was right in Marcus sight line.

Final Conclusion: Marcus should have threw it with timing faster.

The second one: I give credit to the defense. Without seeing the all-22, I don't know what the downfield WRs were looking like. Maybe he could have thrown it. But at the very start it looks like they were running with the WRs. The edge of the line failed and Conklin probably should have been called for a take down hold. He stepped up and Leonard was right there.

Final Conclusion: Defense won the down, soundly beating the WRs and O-line.

Archived