PFF: Saints’ Sheldon Rankins is quietly having a career year in 2018

Dome

[link] 

1,500-plus defensive snaps into his NFL career with the New Orleans Saints, Rankins is blossoming into one of the league’s top pass-rushing defensive interiors. Rankins’ career-high 72.9 pass-rush grade ranks eighth among the 32 at his position with 225-plus pass-rush snaps through Week 10.

RANK-768x432.png

Rankins ranks just tied for 14th in total pressures (28) among defensive interiors this season, but his 11.6 pressure percentage ranks tied for ninth among qualifiers. He’s also made a knack for creating pressure early in the down, as 37.0% of his pressures have been recorded within 2.5 seconds of the snap, which ranks seventh among the 26 defensive interiors with at least 20 pressures in 2018.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, Ryan Nielsen has been among the best hires we've had on the coaching side in a long time. The improvement we've seen out of almost every D-linemen and the unit as a whole has been really impressive.

Rankins deserves a ton of credit too. He's developing into a DT that is constantly forcing pressure and is a factor in the run game.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Hey @Dome, can you give us an update on his current rankings? I'd love to see his continued improvements.

At the end of November Rankins had improved his run defense as well and was ranked just 2nd only to Damon Snacks Harrison as a run stopper. He was 9th in pressures per pass rush snap at that time too. Onyemata was the higher overall ranked player between the two according to PFF and they combine for one of the best interior tandems in the league. 

Right now Rankins is ranked #19 Defensive interior and Onyemata is ranked #21

What brought this whole thing to my mind is his final play the other night. He made a tackle forcing a turnover, how many yards down field, on one of the better receivers in the league, ultimately ending the game, as a defensive tackle. 

That just can't be recorded in the stats for what it's actually worth.

If we win the superbowl, it'll be because of our defense.  That's crazy to say after what we've seen the past decade, but it's true.  

I mean, the offense is still statistically the better unit, but our defense has been playing like an elite unit over the past several weeks and saved the 1 seed for us.  Hopefully they keep that up in the playoffs.

Imagine the success we could have had if Sean Payton had kept a decent defense consistently every year like the Pats have done.

• 2 weeks later...

Big man is a hoss. Best interior lineman the Saints have had in a while. I'm super impressed with every aspect of his game. He can rush the passer, he can stuff the run, he can drop into coverage on zone blitzes.

What's really impressive to me is he was doing all this despite teams being able to roll an extra blocker to him. With all due respect to Okafor, he's not that guy that's going to make you pay consistently so teams could roll their blockers to the middle and leave Okafor 1-on-1. Now that Davenport's back teams are going to have to respect his side a little more and Rankins is going to have a lot more room to operate.

9 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

Big man is a hoss. Best interior lineman the Saints have had in a while. I'm super impressed with every aspect of his game. He can rush the passer, he can stuff the run, he can drop into coverage on zone blitzes.

What's really impressive to me is he was doing all this despite teams being able to roll an extra blocker to him. With all due respect to Okafor, he's not that guy that's going to make you pay consistently so teams could roll their blockers to the middle and leave Okafor 1-on-1. Now that Davenport's back teams are going to have to respect his side a little more and Rankins is going to have a lot more room to operate.

Davenport was really starting to heat up, but since he missed time with his injury, and after returning now, I haven't really heard his name much. I see Okafor in the game a lot more than I see Davenport. Is it just me? Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention?

2 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Davenport was really starting to heat up, but since he missed time with his injury, and after returning now, I haven't really heard his name much. I see Okafor in the game a lot more than I see Davenport. Is it just me? Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention?

I've seen him make a few plays.  Nothing special though.  Didn't Payton say it's hard for them not to play Okafor because he knows his assignments so well?

12 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

I thought Davenport played well in week 17. Statline says he did. 3 tackles, 1/2 sack, 1 TFL, 3 QB hits

Yes, week 17 was much better than the previous few weeks. That injury really slowed him down. 
I'll sound like a broken record, but the bye week couldn't have come at a better time for  this entire team.

Davenport is still learning, but what he's showing is very promising.  The 1st this upcoming draft might've been a higher cost than worth ATM but he'll show his worth starting next year and the additional 1st will look like a steal, especially since it's going to be a lower end 1st.  Remember when Packers fans try to say we were gonna fall off with Brees not doing well and they'd get a top 10 pick?

Archived