2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

44 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what I think about Daniel Jones. He is the only one who I would probably consider in round 1 since Herbert is going back to school 

If Kubiak goes to the Jags it would make it likely flacco goes their in my opinion.  That's the only team I see that would jump all over jones thats ahead of us.

3 hours ago, elwayfan07 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what I think about Daniel Jones. He is the only one who I would probably consider in round 1 since Herbert is going back to school 

Jones is my favorite QB in this draft, but I get the reservations.

Personally, the only real knock I see is his arm strength and ball velocity, but even then I think he’s capable of making all the throws.

I think between the ears pre/post snap as well as his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver accurate footballs under pressure are elite traits for him.  He’s also a well above average athlete (talk he could run sub 4.65 in the 40).

I also love the fact that nothing was easy for him.  He didn’t have the luxury of a good OL or weapons around him.  He has a toughness about him that is a must in the NFL.

The arm strength may be enough to keep him from being a truly elite QB, but I’d roll the dice on him as early as 1.10.

Honestly, he’s a better prospect than Tua, IMO and maybe Fromm.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Jones is my favorite QB in this draft, but I get the reservations.

Personally, the only real knock I see is his arm strength and ball velocity, but even then I think he’s capable of making all the throws.

I think between the ears pre/post snap as well as his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver accurate footballs under pressure are elite traits for him.  He’s also a well above average athlete (talk he could run sub 4.65 in the 40).

I also love the fact that nothing was easy for him.  He didn’t have the luxury of a good OL or weapons around him.  He has a toughness about him that is a must in the NFL.

The arm strength may be enough to keep him from being a truly elite QB, but I’d roll the dice on him as early as 1.10.

Honestly, he’s a better prospect than Tua, IMO and maybe Fromm.

I still have Haskins ahead of him but I’d be all in on him at 10

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I still have Haskins ahead of him but I’d be all in on him at 10

I have Haskins above him as well.  I have my concerns with Haskins, but his upside is higher than Jones.

Haskins gets the ball out so damn quick.  His athleticism worries me, but how quickly he can get the ball out will help cover that up.  

I need to watch some more of Drew Lock, though.  I saw him vs Alabama and wasn’t impressed, but I’ve read some people really like him.

I think a lot of us are off on Lock because of what happened with Lynch, excellent physical tools that didn’t work out.

37 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I need to watch some more of Drew Lock, though.  I saw him vs Alabama and wasn’t impressed, but I’ve read some people really like him.

I think a lot of us are off on Lock because of what happened with Lynch, excellent physical tools that didn’t work out.

I'd also point out with Elway/Kubiak, the chances we could fix Lock's problems were about nil.   I mean, he fits that skill profile for our failed projects to a T.    Now that we appear to be headed in a very different direction, maybe we will want Jones ahead of Lock, or maybe we have better coaching personnel who could fix a Drew Lock type of player.  We certainly couldn't with the guys we had around before.

Still, a project pick at 1.10 is so ugly.   The ceiling isn't generational or even close, it's just going to stand out in this very meh top-end class.   And the floor is to bust out, and not even be league-average starter-wise.   And I say that believing Lock will display the best physical tools outside of Haskins.   It's not even the 'Bama/Georgia games - he was facing better competition all-around, that's tough for anyone.  But the Kentucky game, he was really meh.  IIRC, didn't even get a first down in the 2H.  It was eye-opening , and there was too much of that vs. average competition.  @Counselor's breakdown is more comprehensive, but man, it's just disappointing overall.  Which is scary when we have to consider a jump to the NFL level of competition.

I'll repeat an earlier statement - if Jones had Lock's arm talent, he'd be a lockdown franchise QB prospect.  If Lock had even 1/2 of Jones' intangibles, same statement for him.    It's going to be fascinating now that Kubiak apparently is done, which guy Elway & co. zero in on.    At least both guys get to show their skills at the Senior Bowl and Combine.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 11:34 PM, germ-x said:

Lock reminds me a lot of Derek Carr coming out. Live arm, but erratic in the pocket. Makes throws off his back foot at weird times. Of all the QBs, I'd say Lock has the most upside but a high bust rate. 

Daniel Jones at 10 would be a reach. He's a good, not great prospect. Has a really good feel for the game, but his arm and ability to make throws off schedule are suspect. 

My favorite is Easton Stick. Not as a first round guy, but just a day 2-3 guy who looks like a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Lock reminds me a lot of Derek Carr coming out. Live arm, but erratic in the pocket. Makes throws off his back foot at weird times. Of all the QBs, I'd say Lock has the most upside but a high bust rate. 

Daniel Jones at 10 would be a reach. He's a good, not great prospect. Has a really good feel for the game, but his arm and ability to make throws off schedule are suspect. 

My favorite is Easton Stick. Not as a first round guy, but just a day 2-3 guy who looks like a lot of fun.

Haven’t watched Easton. I’ll have to check him out