2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

His accuracy is hurt by the talent around him and the constant pressure in his face. It’s not like he is missing wide open guys or easy throws like Josh Allen was at Wyoming. We are talking dropped passes, deep balls off fingertips (that nfl receivers would easily have). Trust me I preach accuracy and footwork, big reason I was so high on Baker. I don’t see those issues carrying over with Jones. Heck Peyton had a 60.4% as a Senior at Tennessee. But it wasn’t because of his footwork which is a big killer and indicator of the issues translating to the next level. 

Thats a little different. Completion % and accuracy don't always go hand in hand. When I think "lack of accuracy" I think Keenum missing about 5+- throws a game that he has to make.

I would have zero suprise if Daniel Jones is our pick at 1.10. He has a tremendous feel for the game, and the 'little things' all check out; made his own LOS calls, elite at progressions, great pocket feel, etc. All the brains stuff is there. The arm is good enough. The accuracy is a bit worrisome, but 60% isnt horrible and I would love to see that adjusted for throw aways and dropped balls. He really didnt have great talent around him.

But more than anything, if Peyton has Elway's ear this kid is getting drafted by us. I cant imagine a scenario where PFM isnt totally enamored with this kid. He was trained by his old QB guru and has all the Peyton-ish traits that will remind Manning of himself.

Also, while Jones isnt Lamar Jackson, lets calm down on the talk of lacking physical traits. He can push the ball down the field well enough and has underrated speed, he just would rather stick to the pocket. I expect 4.75-4.80 type 40 from him. Not bad IMO.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Does anyone have imput on Jordan Ta'Amu from Ole Miss? From what I saw he is a very accurate developmental guy who wasnt asked to do too much in College, so his diagnosis and progressions are very subpar. But you cant teach accuracy and he has that going for him. I see him arguably on the lower end of the 2nd tier of QB's (Which is everyone after Haskins) and dont see a big enough difference between him and, say, Findley to take one R2 and the other R4.

I think he isnt getting enough chatter honestly. Not a world beater but a good kid, hardworking, elite character with the most difficult to teach QB trait, accuracy, already on his side. Could he be one of those guys that comes from a very simple college offense, is dinged in the draft process for this, and develops suprisingly well? IDK, but I think he should be in the convo.

I went and watched some tape and I liked him. Very live arm. His deep ball is beautifully placed. Panics a bit and breaks down under some pressure in the pocket. Needs to refine is touch and take a little off the short and intermediate throws as he over throws a bit. His feet are pretty active but he needs to swivel a bit more and rely less on just his arm in delivering some passes. He looks like Russell Wilson on some throws especially his deep ball. Could be something there with this kid.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Here are my QB rankings so far

1. Dwayne Haskins 

2. Daniel Jones 

3. Will Grier 

4. Jordan Ta’amu

5. Eric Dungey 

6. Ryan Finley

7. Drew Lock

No grade yet on Stidham or many others. 

I watched Dungey play in that bowl and all I got to say is ewwww. Lock has to be a better prospect than him.

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Not his best game but I like his intangibles a lot. 

I just don't see close to an NFL skilll set. Just doesn't make good reads. I wanted to like him because I've read him as a sleeper but wow. That system he plays in is supposed to be qb friendly. 

Edited by thebestever6

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I just don't see close to an NFL skilll set. Just doesn't make good reads. I wanted to like him because I've read him as a sleeper but wow. That system he plays in is supposed to be qb friendly. 

These also aren’t my final rankings. But he can be a Taysom Hill type player and I think a team will find a use for him. Lock hasn’t made any strides in fixing his foot work. Not that it is his fault may be the coaching but I haven’t seen the progression there.

I think one thing that has become clear to me is Haskins and Jones are the only R1 talents. And one thing that many may disagree on; there is not much difference between the two in where they should be drafted.

Daniel Jones is a clear cut top-10 pick IMO. I actually would be suprised if he is avaliable when we draft.

After those two, I am all in on simply waiting for Jordan Ta’amu  in R3-R4 as a developmental guy and then targeting a QB again in 2020. I dont like the concensus 2nd tier guys - Drew Lock, Will Grier, Ryan Findley, etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think one thing that has become clear to me is Haskins and Jones are the only R1 talents. And one thing that many may disagree on; there is not much difference between the two in where they should be drafted.

Daniel Jones is a clear cut top-10 pick IMO. I actually would be suprised if he is avaliable when we draft.

After those two, I am all in on simply waiting for Jordan Ta’amu  in R3-R4 as a developmental guy and then targeting a QB again in 2020. I dont like the concensus 2nd tier guys - Drew Lock, Will Grier, Ryan Findley, etc.

I mostly agree with this - its Haskins / Jones and everyone else. Our worst case scenario is if those two go to Jacksonville / NYG before us and for some god awful reason we reach on another guy at 10.

Last years draft (taking Chubb over Rosen/Allen) leads me to believe that we will not make this mistake, which is comforting. However, if Elway feels like his seat is getting hot I could see him reach...which would suck.

42 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

I mostly agree with this - its Haskins / Jones and everyone else. Our worst case scenario is if those two go to Jacksonville / NYG before us and for some god awful reason we reach on another guy at 10.

Last years draft (taking Chubb over Rosen/Allen) leads me to believe that we will not make this mistake, which is comforting. However, if Elway feels like his seat is getting hot I could see him reach...which would suck.

Elway didn't reach last year because he had Keenum, and thought he was going to be "the guy" to at least get the team to 2020 draft.  Now, its pretty obvious he is not "The Guy", Elway and Ellis know that sitting through yet another year with "bottom 5 in the league" offense and QB play will have a really detrimental impact on the BUSINESS side of the team - so they are going to be much more desperate to "do something, anything" to fix the QB situation.  Keenum's salary albatross will make it very difficult to bring in another quality vet via trade, even if we were willing to give the picks and someone were willing to trade.  So - I'm very, very nervous that Elway will play it differently this year and reach. 

2 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Elway didn't reach last year because he had Keenum, and thought he was going to be "the guy" to at least get the team to 2020 draft.  Now, its pretty obvious he is not "The Guy", Elway and Ellis know that sitting through yet another year with "bottom 5 in the league" offense and QB play will have a really detrimental impact on the BUSINESS side of the team - so they are going to be much more desperate to "do something, anything" to fix the QB situation.  Keenum's salary albatross will make it very difficult to bring in another quality vet via trade, even if we were willing to give the picks and someone were willing to trade.  So - I'm very, very nervous that Elway will play it differently this year and reach. 

Kind of a tangent rant here but - In 2018 there were two starting QB's (not on their rookie deals) that made less money than Keenum's $18m/year, and one of them was Tom Brady. While yes he was expensive, that is just the going rate for a QB. Keenum isn't a "starting caliber QB", but he had leverage and well his agent would be the worst in the world if he didn't get that kind of money. I'm tired of the narrative that Elway thought Keenum was "the guy", he would've gotten a much longer deal if that were seriously the thought behind the signing. 

Agree though, that money does make it near impossible to bring in another vet (who would prob cost $10m). If only we still had Chad Kelly (lol) as something the front office could pass as a competition to look forward to. 

• Like 1

Kind of a tangent rant here but - In 2018 there were two starting QB's (not on their rookie deals) that made less money than Keenum's $18m/year, and one of them was Tom Brady. While yes he was expensive, that is just the going rate for a QB. Keenum isn't a "starting caliber QB", but he had leverage and well his agent would be the worst in the world if he didn't get that kind of money. I'm tired of the narrative that Elway thought Keenum was "the guy", he would've gotten a much longer deal if that were seriously the thought behind the signing. 

Keenum isnt a starting QB, so him making anything close to starters money was a bad move in-and-of itself.

We should have signed Teddy, Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc. Guys that were not starting caliber, but who only demanded one year deals. All of them would have been similarily competent to Case, and in Teddy's case he could have had much higher reward v the risk.

There may be a moderately defensible position regarding paying Case 18M for one year, but giving him so much guarenteed his second season was never a defensible move. It has made people look a full year ahead, to 2020, for the possibility of mediocre QB play. Thats horrendous.