2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

25 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Well maybe not the way the cowboys could in terms of letting a young player walk, but plenty of teams have had revolving doors at QB (the current Denver Broncos) and none of them have sustained success.

The idea is that QB is becoming a response position in today's NFL.

The school of thought is that guys like Pat Mahomes, Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky aren't genetically programmed to be having MVP calibre seasons, they're doing so because of great coaching and having a great team around them. In a few years when the Chiefs, Rams and Bears succumb to group think and pay these guys like $28m per year and pay the price of eroding the supporting cast, they'll regress into the QB purgatory.

If instead you keep the supporting cast together and just draft a new QB on a rookie deal, you can perhaps repeat the success of Mahomes/Goff/Trubisky whilst letting another team butcher their roster to overpay your former QB.

I'm not sure I totally subscribe to this theory (especially in the case of Mahomes who's been genuinely phenomenal and elevated the Chiefs offense) but it's a valid theory and I'd tread very carefully before paying a huge contract to someone like Dak Prescott. Hell even in Denver I'd have rather taken my chances on a vet. minimum FA and a rookie draft pick last year than pay Keenum $18m and lose out on supporting cast to do so.

58 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The idea is that QB is becoming a response position in today's NFL.

The school of thought is that guys like Pat Mahomes, Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky aren't genetically programmed to be having MVP calibre seasons, they're doing so because of great coaching and having a great team around them. In a few years when the Chiefs, Rams and Bears succumb to group think and pay these guys like $28m per year and pay the price of eroding the supporting cast, they'll regress into the QB purgatory.

If instead you keep the supporting cast together and just draft a new QB on a rookie deal, you can perhaps repeat the success of Mahomes/Goff/Trubisky whilst letting another team butcher their roster to overpay your former QB.

I'm not sure I totally subscribe to this theory (especially in the case of Mahomes who's been genuinely phenomenal and elevated the Chiefs offense) but it's a valid theory and I'd tread very carefully before paying a huge contract to someone like Dak Prescott. Hell even in Denver I'd have rather taken my chances on a vet. minimum FA and a rookie draft pick last year than pay Keenum $18m and lose out on supporting cast to do so.

Oh I get the logic behind it, but it’d literally take legendary scouting/coaching to accomplish it.  To be able to hit on the right guy every 4-5 years would be incredibly difficult.  Further it doesn’t take into account being able to build an elite team to support such a philosophy, which also isn’t an easy task.

Elite QBs allow you to be competitive almost regardless of everything around them.  All the coaching turnover and player turnover makes it almost impossible to field an elite team outside of QB.

As far as the QBs you mentioned, Mahomes is a generational type talent.  Goff/Trubisky I can see the point.  While Mahomes has definitely benefited from Andy Reid, Mahomes is still unbelievable.  The arm strength, accuracy,  improvisation, and feel for the position are absolutely ridiculous.  His skill set is something you’d create in a laboratory.  He’s like a souped up version of Favre/Rodgers, which is saying something.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Oh I get the logic behind it, but it’d literally take legendary scouting/coaching to accomplish it.  To be able to hit on the right guy every 4-5 years would be incredibly difficult.  Further it doesn’t take into account being able to build an elite team to support such a philosophy, which also isn’t an easy task.

Elite QBs allow you to be competitive almost regardless of everything around them.  All the coaching turnover and player turnover makes it almost impossible to field an elite team outside of QB.

As far as the QBs you mentioned, Mahomes is a generational type talent.  Goff/Trubisky I can see the point.  While Mahomes has definitely benefited from Andy Reid, Mahomes is still unbelievable.  The arm strength, accuracy,  improvisation, and feel for the position are absolutely ridiculous.  His skill set is something you’d create in a laboratory.  He’s like a souped up version of Favre/Rodgers, which is saying something.

I think long term san Francisco is gonna get burned by that jimmy g trade and contract as well. 

People say that was a bargain for a high second and I just don't see it. They had to pay him franchise qb money with such a small sample size. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, germ-x said:

This is exactly right. That’s why teams pay even above-average QBs huge money, they don’t want to end up like the 2016-2018+ Denver Broncos. 

Look at Seattle. They lose so much of the core of their Super Bowl teams thanks to age, cost and free agency. But they’re still a perennial playoff team thanks to having an elite QB and an elite head coach. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Look at Seattle. They lose so much of the core of their Super Bowl teams thanks to age, cost and free agency. But they’re still a perennial playoff team thanks to having an elite QB and an elite head coach. 

Yeah, great point.  If you can be B+ or better at QB and HC you can endure a lot - whether it’s roster turnover, weak positional groups, a tough division, etc.  A strong HC + QB tandem masks a lot of deficiencies and keeps the locker room in-check which eliminates any of the snowballing issues that result.

To compete with a below average QB + HC tandem you have to have an A++ roster everywhere else- which is insanely difficult to assemble, as we’re learning. 

To your point, it’s easier to mask a below average roster with a strong HC + QB than vice-versa. 

Edited by bMiller031

21 hours ago, germ-x said:

PFF is all over Drew Lock.  Said he’s improved every area every year and was their #2 graded QB the last 5 weeks of the season behind Kyler Murray.

Get used to it, Ben Albright has said on Twitter multiple times that everything he is hearing is that the FO is enamored with Lock and went to watch him play a few times. He said that from people in the organization that Lock is basically 'their guy' right now and Elway apparently loves him.

Having Case start for 3-8 games until Lock gets adjusted would be the best scenario. Either way this organization needs to peg their guy, get behind him and build around him. I dont know how other Broncos fans feel but Im tired of trying to put band-aids and throwing up hail marys in FA for veteran QBs. In order to stabilize the franchise and the product on the field I feel like they need to just jump in and fully commit to a rookie QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Get used to it, Ben Albright has said on Twitter multiple times that everything he is hearing is that the FO is enamored with Lock and went to watch him play a few times. He said that from people in the organization that Lock is basically 'their guy' right now and Elway apparently loves him.

Having Case start for 3-8 games until Lock gets adjusted would be the best scenario. Either way this organization needs to peg their guy, get behind him and build around him. I dont know how other Broncos fans feel but Im tired of trying to put band-aids and throwing up hail marys in FA for veteran QBs. In order to stabilize the franchise and the product on the field I feel like they need to just jump in and fully commit to a rookie QB.

@germ-x @AkronsWitness  

Is he a candidate for a senior bowl/ combine break-out?  Any chance he doesn't make it to 1.10?

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

@germ-x @AkronsWitness  

Is he a candidate for a senior bowl/ combine break-out?  Any chance he doesn't make it to 1.10?

The only teams in front of DEN that could take a QB is NYG and JAX. However, I feel one of those might go after Flacco (JAX most likely). NYG takes Haskins. The only other thing I would worry about is WAS jumping up and taking their guy. Apparently early word is that they are trying to position themselves for a trade to jump DEN to take their guy, whoever that is.

I dont think there is a real threat inside 1.10 barring a crazy good combine, interviews and pro day.

I do remember Lock being talked about as the #1 pick in the draft after his junior year when he blew up. He went back to college and had down year compared to his really good numbers the year before.

From what I know is that he probably has the best arm talent in the draft but the drawback is his inconsistency at times. It reminds me of Pat Mahommes predraft where some were unsure if all of his talent could be harnessed on the NFL. His upside if he ties it all together is franchise QB caliber, but like every QB, the question is if that will happen and take that next step with NFL coaching.

He would be the perfect guy to have sit for 1/2 the season behind Case to learn and then toss him in for 4-8 games next year to get a taste. Then again, rookie/soph QB success is predicated on system, coaching, surrounding talent. If the new OC will help him and design a offense with his strengths and simplify things--he could be a homerun even if he is not as readymade as a guy like Haskins

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

As I’ve said I need to watch some more of Lock to have a better opinion.  The hire of Scangarello seems to point in that direction, however.

From what I’ve read on The Athletic, Scangarello was brought for 2 reasons; 1. His ability to develop QBs and 2. His offensive innovation.

In terms of QBs, he looks for toughness and competitiveness.  Daniel Jones fits that profile, but from what I’ve read of Lock he does as well.  While Lock had a better team he also played in the SEC where Missouri’s talent didn’t stack up and he still continued to improve every year.  Lock’s also the most talented QB in this draft which will check a box for Elway and would be the most talented QB Scangarello has ever worked with.

I am not saying Lock is the right answer and Elway has come out and stated part of his failures has been with pre determining their moves, but this seems like a pre determination to get the QB Elway wants in the building and surrounding him with coaching/talent that he didn’t with Lynch.

It could be the right move.  I’ve been turned off of Lock with the little I’ve seen, so I’ll watch more in the coming weeks.  However, I’ll say to start the year he was a potential top 5 pick by many.  Hit a rough patch and wasn’t even a 1st rounder and now by many is a top 15 selection based on how he finished the year. 

53 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As I’ve said I need to watch some more of Lock to have a better opinion.  The hire of Scangarello seems to point in that direction, however.

From what I’ve read on The Athletic, Scangarello was brought for 2 reasons; 1. His ability to develop QBs and 2. His offensive innovation.

In terms of QBs, he looks for toughness and competitiveness.  Daniel Jones fits that profile, but from what I’ve read of Lock he does as well.  While Lock had a better team he also played in the SEC where Missouri’s talent didn’t stack up and he still continued to improve every year.  Lock’s also the most talented QB in this draft which will check a box for Elway and would be the most talented QB Scangarello has ever worked with.

I am not saying Lock is the right answer and Elway has come out and stated part of his failures has been with pre determining their moves, but this seems like a pre determination to get the QB Elway wants in the building and surrounding him with coaching/talent that he didn’t with Lynch.

It could be the right move.  I’ve been turned off of Lock with the little I’ve seen, so I’ll watch more in the coming weeks.  However, I’ll say to start the year he was a potential top 5 pick by many.  Hit a rough patch and wasn’t even a 1st rounder and now by many is a top 15 selection based on how he finished the year. 

Does the oc meet with guys at the combine? I know draft prospects go on visits with teams starting like a month or so from the draft . I buy little to the smoke coming out now. Once denver selects their 30 or so prospects I'm sure a handful of qbs will visit I'll be interested to see and hear the smoke coming out at that time.