2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

28 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Got a feeling Elway is about to bet his legacy on Lock and the OC he just hired. 

I'm surprised we have no qb coach yet. 

Wondering if any of this is a smokescreen. We have the 10th pick, and there are 2 QB needing teams ahead of us at 6 and 7. Seems stupid of the front office to hype up Lock when we are in a position with bad leverage.

4 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Wondering if any of this is a smokescreen. We have the 10th pick, and there are 2 QB needing teams ahead of us at 6 and 7. Seems stupid of the front office to hype up Lock when we are in a position with bad leverage.

The problem is Elway has never really hidden his affinity for prospects before. I think there is an arrogance about him that he feels he doesn’t need to play that game. Which is unfortunate. 

The Broncos PR team has done a good job selling the new coaching staff and a lot of the local media is eating it up but I'm still, at best, only lukewarm about Vic. 

Who realistically would you have prefered? No Harbrough talk, like of the candidates that we had a connection to. I think we did great, ending up with the two coaches that most here wanted. I still would have gone with Zac but Elway didnt have the ability to make such a risky move after the VJ blunder. He had to make a conservative bet and Vic was the best out there that still had a bit of 'upside' as a HC (In that he hasnt had a chance to show what hes got yet, but is seasoned enough to basically be guaranteed to not be VJ or McD)

The problem is Elway has never really hidden his affinity for prospects before. I think there is an arrogance about him that he feels he doesn’t need to play that game. Which is unfortunate. 

Could be arrogance, or he could just be an idiot when it comes to this aspect of being a GM.

Its almost firing worthy how badly he telegraphs his QB crushes. Its so unprofessional.

53 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

It makes no sense as a smoke screen.  Smoke screen in my opinion doesn't give us any leverage. 

I'm gonna be so ticked off if we trade up for Lock. At pick 10 it's whatever dont love the move but I get it. But trading up would annoy me especially with Elway leading the hype train.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

It makes no sense as a smoke screen.  Smoke screen in my opinion doesn't give us any leverage. 

I'm gonna be so ticked off if we trade up for Lock. At pick 10 it's whatever dont love the move but I get it. But trading up would annoy me especially with Elway leading the hype train.

Yeah, the cost of trading up is just going to be so high that it is not appealing to me. We would be giving up at the very least, one of either our 2020 1st or 2019 2nd to jump to 5.

6 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Yeah, the cost of trading up is just going to be so high that it is not appealing to me. We would be giving up at the very least, one of either our 2020 1st or 2019 2nd to jump to 5.

Which scares me because theres no doubt Elway loves Lock. Now the question is why is he so forthright with it. And the answer to me is to guage the interest of other teams to see if there's chatter of teams wanting to leap us for him. That will tell Elway how high he's willing to go.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

This hype train is what stands out. Elway is creating a Market of top ten with his hype. He is damaging our own team if he trades up on hype he helped create. That would be so idiotic. 

31 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This hype train is what stands out. Elway is creating a Market of top ten with his hype. He is damaging our own team if he trades up on hype he helped create. That would be so idiotic. 

Yeah thats exactly what I mean. I'll have to watch the draft on my crappy tv because I'll break it out of anger. 

6 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Well, the consensus among NFL folks is that we're going after a QB. Not much news there, regardless of what Elway says. I mean, Keenum was kind of a disaster, and we have no viable backup.

Lock fits the NFL mold so if he's available at 10 the only shock would be if we didn't take him and traded down. Maybe thats the smokescreen.

No matter what Elway says or doesn't say, the perception won't change.

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, the consensus among NFL folks is that we're going after a QB. Not much news there, regardless of what Elway says. I mean, Keenum was kind of a disaster, and we have no viable backup.

Lock fits the NFL mold so if he's available at 10 the only shock would be if we didn't take him and traded down. Maybe thats the smokescreen.

No matter what Elway says or doesn't say, the perception won't change.

There's no way thats a smoke screen. It benefits us how as a smoke screen? All that does is have qb needy teams that want lock trade to leap us not trade with us.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Let's face it, it would be a shocker if Haskins isn't the top QB taken.    After that, it's very murky what happens.   The Giants & Jaguars are the 2 teams who appear to be locked into QB.     After that, it's us at 10, MIA at 13, and WAS at 15.   OAK could always throw a huge monkey wrench into the draft board, but the heat they took for trading Mack, it would be a huge upset if they didn't dip into the EDGE/DL market at 1.4.   I still think trading up to get Nick Bosa is clearly on their radar, but that's just me, it's not like we're going to find anything solid in full lying season.  

All of that said, I'd be surprised if we ended up having to move up to get Lock.    Lock's tools were always going to get him hype now post-Senior Bowl (and will at the Combine), as he'll likely grade out as the toolsiest of the top-end 2019 class, minus Haskins.     But his flaws are well-documented.   Pretty much all the hype post-Senior Bowl is placing him somewhere in Rd1 - not challenging Haskins at the top.   It's not like he's the consensus #2 guy after Haskins.   My position hasn't changed that it would be a mistake to take any QB at 1.10 from the guys available in this group - but I'd be besides myself if we had to move up.   That would be mind-bogglingly bad. 

I suspect the hype being generated is more to change the narrative on 1.10 being a reach for QB.   Every team that doesn't want QB is praying that teams keep reaching for need at the top end - so the counter-campaign has to be to justify going this early for a QB.   In that light, it's not so surprising to see all this come out, if that's the goal.   Given how badly the Lynch pick worked out, having this pick look like a reach to begin with, that's something that Elway & co. will work hard at dispelling, if they're set at going QB, no matter what. 

Let's face it, if Elway hits the next QB pick, no one will mind the price paid.   If he whiffs, though, the 1.10 alternative we passed on will hurt for a while, as will the 2-3 offseasons we spend committed to that QB (more likely 3 offseasons if it's a 1.10 pick, less if we went Day 2+).    Elway's affinity for Lock types is well-documented - if he goes that route, well, Scangarello really better be as good as we hope his SF time suggests, Lock's got tools, but man, he's got a lot of work to do (and when it was Kubiak x 2 and co. in charge, pretty much zero hope we'd see a different result).  

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

There's no way thats a smoke screen. It benefits us how as a smoke screen? All that does is have qb needy teams that want lock trade to leap us not trade with us.

If we aren't going QB early, then inducing teams to jump us only increases the draft pool at 1.10.  Obviously, that's only plausible if we aren't going QB 1.10.   The only other purpose to the smoke on our end if we are going QB 1.10 is to change the perception we're making a huge reach.   Guess we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I suspect the hype being generated is more to change the narrative on 1.10 being a reach for QB.   Every team that doesn't want QB is praying that teams keep reaching for need at the top end - so the counter-campaign has to be to justify going this early for a QB.   In that light, it's not so surprising to see all this come out, if that's the goal.   Given how badly the Lynch pick worked out, having this pick look like a reach to begin with, that's something that Elway & co. will work hard at dispelling, if they're set at going QB, no matter wh

Problem is Elway has been bad at eyeing qb talent in the past. So throwing out the report that Elway is Smitten with Lock does nothing to dispel that narrative.  Or that Lock is worth a top 10 pick.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Problem is Elway has been bad at eyeing qb talent in the past. So throwing out the report that Elway is Smitten with Lock does nothing to dispel that narrative.  Or that Lock is worth a top 10 pick.

Sure, but it doesn't stop the org from working the PR angle.    If you are going to change an audience's mindset, starting early increases the chances you can sway people over time.   If you took a poll 2 months ago, now, and in 2 months, I suspect you'd find more in favor or QB at 1.10 as time goes by.    Rather than focus on Elway's inability to draft - the message becomes how QB X is for sure worth a 1.10 pick.   

If Elway really isn't thinking QB at 1.10, then this is good work to try and induce teams to move up.   If he is really smitten with Lock, given how iffy it seems to go 1.10 with any QB who's likely there, it's more about shifting the focus from Elway's past mistakes, and change the narrative to Lock himself.  Especially in the Senior Bowl and Combine, a guy like Lock whose biggest positives are his physical traits and tools, is going to generate more positive buzz.   I share the same concerns on going QB 1.10, but the messaging right now is hardly surprising to me.   

Archived