2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

15 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Keenum isnt a starting QB, so him making anything close to starters money was a bad move in-and-of itself.

We should have signed Teddy, Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc. Guys that were not starting caliber, but who only demanded one year deals. All of them would have been similarily competent to Case, and in Teddy's case he could have had much higher reward v the risk.

There may be a moderately defensible position regarding paying Case 18M for one year, but giving him so much guarenteed his second season was never a defensible move. It has made people look a full year ahead, to 2020, for the possibility of mediocre QB play. Thats horrendous.

I wish we did sign a one year starter last year . The rose colored glasses elway has for this teams chances are indefensible.  

If we had signed a bridgewater, or a mike glennon we are probably in a much better position to get haskins or Jones. These compounding mistakes make me nervous no doubt.  As did elways presser recently. 

If we had signed a bridgewater, or a mike glennon we are probably in a much better position to get haskins or Jones

As in we would have a higher draft pick? IDK if Teddy or Glennon would have been any worse than Case, especially Teddy. We may have been in worse position to get Haskins or Jones honestly, but our cap would be better at least.

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

Kind of a tangent rant here but - In 2018 there were two starting QB's (not on their rookie deals) that made less money than Keenum's $18m/year, and one of them was Tom Brady. While yes he was expensive, that is just the going rate for a QB. Keenum isn't a "starting caliber QB", but he had leverage and well his agent would be the worst in the world if he didn't get that kind of money. I'm tired of the narrative that Elway thought Keenum was "the guy", he would've gotten a much longer deal if that were seriously the thought behind the signing. 

Agree though, that money does make it near impossible to bring in another vet (who would prob cost $10m). If only we still had Chad Kelly (lol) as something the front office could pass as a competition to look forward to. 

Just to be clear, When I say Elway thought Keenum was "the guy", I'm not suggesting that Elway thought he had the Broncos Franchise QB going forward, simply that he thought he had an acceptable caretaker to get them through the next  couple of years, such that he wouldn't be "desperate" to reach for a QB.  Thus, last year, he would (I believe) have gladly taken Baker or Darnold, if they fell into his lap, but decided not to take Rosen or Allen, because he thought they were a reach at 1.5.  

But I think that dynamic may have changed. After watching Keenum's poor-mediocre play, and the impact on the fan base, I'm afraid he my now feel more tempted to reach.

17 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Just to be clear, When I say Elway thought Keenum was "the guy", I'm not suggesting that Elway thought he had the Broncos Franchise QB going forward, simply that he thought he had an acceptable caretaker to get them through the next  couple of years, such that he wouldn't be "desperate" to reach for a QB.  Thus, last year, he would (I believe) have gladly taken Baker or Darnold, if they fell into his lap, but decided not to take Rosen or Allen, because he thought they were a reach at 1.5.  

But I think that dynamic may have changed. After watching Keenum's poor-mediocre play, and the impact on the fan base, I'm afraid he my now feel more tempted to reach.

I think you're right. I don't think we'll see any change this year either in his approach. Take another year, stabilize the coaching staff, give the offense an entire year under a new system. Cut some ties and clean up the salary cap. Hopefully toss in another great draft.

Both FA and the draft are full of QB's in 2020. It makes no sense to reach for one this year at all. Pick up a mid round developmental QB and call it good.

As a long time fan I'm pretty used to the "wait 'til next year" mantra. I'm fine with it. 

2020 and beyond could look really good if we don't get impatient and make choices to appease the fan base this year.

Take another year, stabilize the coaching staff, give the offense an entire year under a new system. Cut some ties and clean up the salary cap. Hopefully toss in another great draft.

Same line of thinking could be used to say 'Draft the QB this year, give him a year of development with our stable, long term coaching staff and let him learn the offense for a year'.

If the QB hits, we would be one step closer to a young, long term QB who is over the rookie bumps-and-bruises.

46 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think you're right. I don't think we'll see any change this year either in his approach. Take another year, stabilize the coaching staff, give the offense an entire year under a new system. Cut some ties and clean up the salary cap. Hopefully toss in another great draft.

Both FA and the draft are full of QB's in 2020. It makes no sense to reach for one this year at all. Pick up a mid round developmental QB and call it good.

As a long time fan I'm pretty used to the "wait 'til next year" mantra. I'm fine with it

2020 and beyond could look really good if we don't get impatient and make choices to appease the fan base this year.

I think most on this forum are fans who root with their brains as well as their heart, it's easy for us to see the big picture. I feel like 90% of the fan base is very "now" oriented though - which, like was previously alluded to, could cause the business side of things to go South.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Same line of thinking could be used to say 'Draft the QB this year, give him a year of development with our stable, long term coaching staff and let him learn the offense for a year'.

If the QB hits, we would be one step closer to a young, long term QB who is over the rookie bumps-and-bruises.

Actually, if "the guy" is there this year, get him. I didn't feel that way last year. We had an atrocious OL, limited offensive weapons, a revolving door at OC, holes all over the roster, coach on the hot seat............................ Basically a terrible situation for a young QB.

This years a lot different. Let him learn one system, sit behind Case for a while, then step up. Our OL is greatly improved and we've got lots of young weapons.

Just don't reach! There are going to be some fantastic ballplayers available at 10 and we need one of them.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:41 PM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would have zero suprise if Daniel Jones is our pick at 1.10. He has a tremendous feel for the game, and the 'little things' all check out; made his own LOS calls, elite at progressions, great pocket feel, etc. All the brains stuff is there. The arm is good enough. The accuracy is a bit worrisome, but 60% isnt horrible and I would love to see that adjusted for throw aways and dropped balls. He really didnt have great talent around him.

But more than anything, if Peyton has Elway's ear this kid is getting drafted by us. I cant imagine a scenario where PFM isnt totally enamored with this kid. He was trained by his old QB guru and has all the Peyton-ish traits that will remind Manning of himself.

Also, while Jones isnt Lamar Jackson, lets calm down on the talk of lacking physical traits. He can push the ball down the field well enough and has underrated speed, he just would rather stick to the pocket. I expect 4.75-4.80 type 40 from him. Not bad IMO.

I completely agree I love Jones as a prospect.  I think he has enough arm much like Peyton did. I think he can make all or most of all the throws.  

He's so advanced in his reads and progressions, pre snap and post snap. His touch is awesome.  Such a breath air compared to the paxton lynch debacle.

I personally don't get nfl rankings of guys coming out of college. Because when Trubisky came out he made one or two reads in college.  In the nfl he still struggles alot going through reads. Imo Jones is a better prospect than Mitch coming out. He doesn't have as high of a ceiling but he has a much higher floor.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:36 AM, thebestever6 said:

I completely agree I love Jones as a prospect.  I think he has enough arm much like Peyton did. I think he can make all or most of all the throws.  

He's so advanced in his reads and progressions, pre snap and post snap. His touch is awesome.  Such a breath air compared to the paxton lynch debacle.

I personally don't get nfl rankings of guys coming out of college. Because when Trubisky came out he made one or two reads in college.  In the nfl he still struggles alot going through reads. Imo Jones is a better prospect than Mitch coming out. He doesn't have as high of a ceiling but he has a much higher floor.

My Order right now for 10 is probably

Haskins

Jones

Baker

Greedy

Murphy

10 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

So for the first time in my adult life I didn’t get a chance to watch college football this year. My question is what about Drew Lock? How did he go from being a 1st round pick had he declared last year to not on anyone’s list this year?

He's definitely on the draft radar.  Definitely has a second round grade at worst right now. From everything I've read he didn't improve from last year really didn't show a lot of growth.  All though I personally just saw his bowl game.

Elway went to watch Locks game and he seems to like strong armed qbs who are toolsy so we'll see. 

14 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

So for the first time in my adult life I didn’t get a chance to watch college football this year. My question is what about Drew Lock? How did he go from being a 1st round pick had he declared last year to not on anyone’s list this year?

He was erratic all season.  Has all the tools, but the consistency isn’t there.  You watch his highlights and he screams top 5 pick, you watch an entire game and you’re like maybe I’d roll the dice in round 2 if he’s there.

32 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He's definitely on the draft radar.  Definitely has a second round grade at worst right now. From everything I've read he didn't improve from last year really didn't show a lot of growth.  All though I personally just saw his bowl game.

Elway went to watch Locks game and he seems to like strong armed qbs who are toolsy so we'll see. 

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He was erratic all season.  Has all the tools, but the consistency isn’t there.  You watch his highlights and he screams top 5 pick, you watch an entire game and you’re like maybe I’d roll the dice in round 2 if he’s there.

Before we dismiss him from Rd1 talk, his strengths are going to be his tools - and that's going to play up really well in non-real game situations.   Senior Bowl, Combine, pro day workout.    My feelings on the risk with Lock are a matter of record, but of all the guys outside the Haskins tier, I suspect he's the one who's going to rise the most in draft rankings the next 2 months.  Given our track record with this type of QB, I'm a big no-thanks, but I think the talk of him being outside of Rd 1 is really premature.   Let's face it, after Haskins, no prospect has a solid Rd1 grade locked down.   That means a lot can change in the next 2 months, with those silly-season activities still yet to come.

Archived