2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I hope he cares more then  Jay. I mean  doesn't it seem like jay never improved footwork, or presnap reading?

He literally just got  by on talent alone and still had a decent career. 

Yeah, I have no idea about that part.  Just talking his physical talent.  Height, weight, athleticism, arm, and a quick release all very comparable to Cutler coming in. 

31 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No two reports are going to be consistent with these things but I read Jones bombed some of the interviews with teams (surprising as a Duke kid with Cutcliffe tutelage) and teams will now have to go through his agent. While Lock has really stolen the show (if you can say such a thing) with the media aspects of the Senior Bowl. 

Yeah, it’s that time of year that who knows what to believe and everyone is kind of seeing their own thing.  Example, I read Lock looked great yesterday, while Todd McShay wasn’t as enthusaistic with his performance going as far as to say he needs a year to develop and is behind in some key areas.

As far as Jones, if those interview reports are true it’s definitely concerning.

Very interesting to me that Jones didnt interview well, but I dont really think much of it.

I still firmly believe that Jones is a better prospect that Lock. Outside arm strength, I see little if anything that Lock does better than Jones. We continue to overplay arm strength. Three of the four QB's in the games this past weekend are average in regards to arm strength. What they are elite at is accuracy. Daniel had an elite accuracy % when adjusted for drops and throw aways. Lock is again us falling for the brawn over the brains. Unless your a Mahomes level physical talent, I am always going brains these days. Lock isnt near Mahomes in physical ability.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Very interesting to me that Jones didnt interview well, but I dont really think much of it.

I still firmly believe that Jones is a better prospect that Lock. Outside arm strength, I see little if anything that Lock does better than Jones. We continue to overplay arm strength. Three of the four QB's in the games this past weekend are average in regards to arm strength. What they are elite at is accuracy. Daniel had an elite accuracy % when adjusted for drops and throw aways. Lock is again us falling for the brawn over the brains. Unless your a Mahomes level physical talent, I am always going brains these days. Lock isnt near Mahomes in physical ability.

Well Maholmes is a freak of nature, we're not finding another one of those.  Seriously the things Maholmes does throwing accurately, with extraordinary power and while totally out of position are things I haven't ever seen anyone other than Aaron Rodgers do. 

That being said, one piece I read said that Scangarello calls plus arm strength a "non-negotiable" trait a QB in his offense must have. So Jones, is who is a slightly taller version of Case Keenum, might not be a fit from the physical perspective for our coaching staff. 

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

So thats what I'd read prior to the SB. Reports I read yesterday said they all were struggling with accuracy.

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well Maholmes is a freak of nature, we're not finding another one of those.  Seriously the things Maholmes does throwing accurately, with extraordinary power and while totally out of position are things I haven't ever seen anyone other than Aaron Rodgers do. 

That being said, one piece I read said that Scangarello calls plus arm strength a "non-negotiable" trait a QB in his offense must have. So Jones, is who is a slightly taller version of Case Keenum, might not be a fit from the physical perspective for our coaching staff. 

Taller version of Case Keenum is too harsh. 

Sounds like Lock has really separated himself from the pack at the Senior Bowl practices. 

I like Lock more and more the more I watch him. Don't think the Lynch comps are credible beyond the "tall, big arm" thing, I see a guy who has the combination of rocket arm, accuracy and ability to throw with touch...when everything is perfect. Things do break down when he has to move. I think in a Coryell offense he's a pretty good fit. I worry that he isn't such a great fit in a WCO. It doesn't look fluid at all when he is rolling out of the pocket. 

Just got done watching some of Stidham and man he’s a rock solid prospect too. 

Way early in the season I made post that he’d be a Kubiak guy and on Denver’s radar.  I’d basically written him off as he came into the season as a potential 1st rounder and just continued to drop by the draftniks.

He’s far more talented than the Kubiak QB type.  Above average arm, he gets a ton of revolutions on the football, quick release, above average athlete, solid size at 6’3” 215, very good throwing on the run as Auburn used a lot of that in their system, and shows the ability to use touch to accurately deliver the football.

My biggest knock on him is he seems to avoid getting hit in the pocket and looks a bit jittery if he feels pressure.  That’s a big knock in today’s NFL, but he is a really good talent who I’ve read is a good leader, highly competitive, and wants to be great.

I’d honestly throw him in the mix as a potential 1st rounder.  Not at 10, but mid to late.  I could see a guy like Jay Gruden falling in love with him and taking him top 15 or trading into the late 1st to nab him if they don’t sign a bigger name free agent.

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sounds like Lock has really separated himself from the pack at the Senior Bowl practices. 

I like Lock more and more the more I watch him. Don't think the Lynch comps are credible beyond the "tall, big arm" thing, I see a guy who has the combination of rocket arm, accuracy and ability to throw with touch...when everything is perfect. Things do break down when he has to move. I think in a Coryell offense he's a pretty good fit. I worry that he isn't such a great fit in a WCO. It doesn't look fluid at all when he is rolling out of the pocket. 

Completely agree.  He’s not Lynch.  But it seems he’s been to used to sitting in the pocket in the system he’s played in.  When on the move it gets really dicey with his ability to accurately throw the ball.

He definitely can sling it and has a really quick release.  Also a good athlete.  He can improve in the touch category and throwing WRs open, but it isn’t like he hasn’t shown flashes (Lynch never did).

He isn’t as talented, but probably a better technician than Allen coming out last year, who went top 10 and more physically gifted while not as polished as Rosen, who also went top 10.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I read that Jones seperated himself from the pack at the senior bowl I guess there's conflicting reports.  

I read it on our own draft forum it was he was the only one that was spotty with accuracy. 

Again, it’s that season and everyone has differing opinions.  I still haven’t read he was a bad interview, but have read he was very up and down and in the weather there his lack of arm strength showed.  Also read that of all the QBs there he was the best with trajectory to throw a WR open and the best at understanding touch to get the WR open.

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I read that Jones seperated himself from the pack at the senior bowl I guess there's conflicting reports.  

I read it on our own draft forum it was he was the only one that wasn't spotty with accuracy. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817460-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-insider-buzz-from-2019-senior-bowl-week

One great line from a scout at the Senior Bowl regarding QB's; "Lock looked like the best of the bunch but thats not saying much"

The knocks against the top guys are real deal killers. Jones described as innaccurate and very inconsistent should move him out of the first IMO.

Stidham had better reviews than most of the top guys. Anyway, I know a lot of you want a QB at #10. Just who should that be?

Archived