2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

21 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What do you guys think about Lock as a prospect versus Allen and Rosen last year?

There’s more than a few in Broncos Country who say - with the caveat that they love Chubb and can’t fault the pick - that we should have taken a QB at 5 last year. You can’t say, “I would have taken Baker or Darnold,” because we can’t play that game as there’s no way to know what we would have had to give up and/or if the Browns/Jets would’ve made the trade. 

So therein lies the question - Allen/Rosen + your choice at #10 this year or Chubb + (for arguments sake) Lock at #10 this year? Time to go on the record. 

I’d have taken Allen last year at #5, sat him the entire year and then used this draft to load up on everything else.

Though, I don’t see Chubb/Lock/Haskins/Jones/Stidham as a bad concellation.

I actually really like Stidham and he seems like a fit in Scangerrelos offense and I think could be had with Denver’s 2nd round pick.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What do you guys think about Lock as a prospect versus Allen and Rosen last year?

There’s more than a few in Broncos Country who say - with the caveat that they love Chubb and can’t fault the pick - that we should have taken a QB at 5 last year. You can’t say, “I would have taken Baker or Darnold,” because we can’t play that game as there’s no way to know what we would have had to give up and/or if the Browns/Jets would’ve made the trade. 

So therein lies the question - Allen/Rosen + your choice at #10 this year or Chubb + (for arguments sake) Lock at #10 this year? Time to go on the record. 

My gut says Lock has more things that can be coached out of him then Allen. But Allen with all his tools still  has the higher ceiling.  I thought Allen Coming out has to do so much stuff by being off script out the pocket. 

Lock I feel has the higher floor. But his arm and athleticism also aren't close to Allen those traits of him are generational. But Lock, I feel his floor is higher than Allen coming out. I think his troubles with accuracy stem from footwork but that can be coached up.

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I’d have taken Allen last year at #5, sat him the entire year and then used this draft to load up on everything else.

Though, I don’t see Chubb/Lock/Haskins/Jones/Stidham as a bad concellation.

I actually really like Stidham and he seems like a fit in Scangerrelos offense and I think could be had with Denver’s 2nd round pick.

From everything I've read and seen from Stidham hes the worst qb in this class when facing a little pressure.  If we went for a second round qb I like Thorson.

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is a very good debate. I’ve thought about it since you posted it and so can’t really decide because it’s hard to tell who will be at 10 if we had gone Allen last year. If we had to go the same position? I’d probably go Chubb/Lock. However Allen plus White would be tempting. But life or death I’ll choose Chubb and Lock. And I’m not much of a Lock guy but like @thebestever6 pointed out more of Lock’s deficiencies seem coachable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is it Lock or bust in peoples opinion? For Elway or are the other qbs they like flying under the radar because they weren't seniors? I find it hard to believe Elway just likes one qb.

I’m hoping he does a full analysis on the class. I also like Thorson more than most but his interception percentage is scary. A 61-45 TD to INT ratio is bad. As well as a career 58.4% completion percentage and a 6.3 y/a

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m hoping he does a full analysis on the class. I also like Thorson more than most but his interception percentage is scary. A 61-45 TD to INT ratio is bad. As well as a career 58.4% completion percentage and a 6.3 y/a

His supprting cast on offense is bad bad though. Plus it takes a full two years to get back from an acl tear.

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Yeah I understand which is why I still like him and the tape I’ve seen I don’t discount the skill on that tape. 

And I havent watched Rypien a lot but I hear he could be a decent second rounder. I find it hard to believe we pigeonholed ourselves to one qb or bust. And let the whole nfl know.

Edited by thebestever6

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

As a prospect I have Allen > Lock though Lock could have a better career depending on where he goes because from all reports he’s a true football nerd to loves the process.

I also have Chubb > White as a prospect but at the end of the day I would have Allen and White barely above Chubb and Lock for the broncos only because Shaq Barrett is a much better ROLB than any ILB we have on the team.

I love hearing this because I was very, very high on Josh Allen before the draft last year and I thought my MWC bias was a part of it. I also see Allen as loving football and checking all those boxes Lynch failed to just as much as Lock does if not more, again from all I've heard. Last year, however, the Denver media was going make the fan base hate any tall, strong, athletic, big-armed QB we drafted, especially if he came from the MWC which the Denver media hates. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I love hearing this because I was very, very high on Josh Allen before the draft last year and I thought my MWC bias was a part of it. I also see Allen as loving football and checking all those boxes Lynch failed to just as much as Lock does if not more, again from all I've heard. Last year, however, the Denver media was going make the fan base hate any tall, strong, athletic, big-armed QB we drafted, especially if he came from the MWC which the Denver media hates. 

I was on the Allen train as well.  I will say, though, that while he did okay as a rookie in Buffalo, he has a LONG way to go to establish himself as a legitimate QB in the NFL in terms of his passing.  He’d definitely been a huge risk, but one I would’ve taken.  

His physical talent obviously got a lot of hype, but crazily I don’t think it got as much as it should have.  Josh Allen is arguably the most physically gifted QB in the history of the NFL.  Physical gifts don’t equal success, but he’s 6’5” 240, runs like a deer with some wiggle and can throw a football 80 yards in the air.

Mel Kiper compared his physical gifts to John Elway (who Kiper considers the greatest prospect he’s ever evaluated) and I listened to a PFF video at the end of this season where they said he was a stronger armed more elusive Cam Newton.

The Bills offense was garbage, terrible OL with no weapons, the Buffalo offense was worse than Arizona’s and Rosen fell flat on his face while Allen (because of his athleticism) was able to find ways to help his team win.  Allen will need help to make it in this league, but if Buffalo can put together a decent OL and get him a few weapons before they ruin Allen’s career he could end up being one hell of a player.  Buffalos’ entire offseason should be dedicated to at least trying to make the OL average and getting a solid offensive weapon or 2 in the building.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

My gut says Lock has more things that can be coached out of him then Allen. But Allen with all his tools still  has the higher ceiling.  I thought Allen Coming out has to do so much stuff by being off script out the pocket. 

Lock I feel has the higher floor. But his arm and athleticism also aren't close to Allen those traits of him are generational. But Lock, I feel his floor is higher than Allen coming out. I think his troubles with accuracy stem from footwork but that can be coached up.

I think you're correct on the floor/ceiling discussion regarding Lock and Allen. I will fully admit my ignorance I do not have the time to evaluate things as closely as I once did but from what I have seen there isn't much to dislike about Lock, especially when the national media is spending all its time hyping Murray and Haskins.

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think you're correct on the floor/ceiling discussion regarding Lock and Allen. I will fully admit my ignorance I do not have the time to evaluate things as closely as I once did but from what I have seen there isn't much to dislike about Lock, especially when the national media is spending all its time hyping Murray and Haskins.

I think Lock has the best chance to be a top 10 to 15 qb from this class. But he probably has the lowest chance of being a top 5 qb. And if we can land him at 10 a guy who could be a top 10 qb on a 5 year rookie deal its not a terrible pick at 10.

I just don't like a trade up from 10 this team has to stay true to their board. Trading up for a bigger cost than the Chiefs did for Mahomes is a big mistake.  

Lock you could say did improve every year though. Last year his tds were down but again it was a more prostyle offense.