2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

16 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So hearing a lot of the luster of this QB class wearing thin, probably some of it smoke. However, if Elway has a shot at Haskins or to a lesser extent, does he pull the trigger ? 

I’ve been back and forth on this all offseason.  Personally, I think Denver takes Lock if he’s there at #10 unless another team blows them away with an offer and by blow them away I think it’s give them assets for next year (future 2nd and 3rd or 4th) which which would give them ammo to get a QB in 2020.

If Flacco is bad (even if the team is somewhat successful and makes the playoffs) I feel the majority of the Denver fanbase will be calling for Elway to be let go.  If Lock’s on the roster, his upside and talent buys Elway at least another year and I don’t think one of these mid round picks does that....further, these mid round picks are now being projected as over drafted.  I’d probably rather over draft Lock at #10 with his physical gifts + he’s reportedly blown away the interview process than take a Grier, Jackson, Stidham (who I also like), or Finley a round earlier than they should go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Lock has smaller hands than Kyler Murray. I’ll just throw that into the 100 other reasons why he isn’t good.

Don’t disagree, but I don’t think it bothers Elway.  Elway loves traits and outside of Tyree Jackson, Lock owns this class in that area.  Elway, as of late, is also about character and leadership and Lock was a 3 year captain who has reportedly killed interviews.  I don’t doubt for a second that Elway is infatuated, even with Lock’s flaws.

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Don’t disagree, but I don’t think it bothers Elway.  Elway loves traits and outside of Tyree Jackson, Lock owns this class in that area.  Elway, as of late, is also about character and leadership and Lock was a 3 year captain who has reportedly killed interviews.  I don’t doubt for a second that Elway is infatuated, even with Lock’s flaws.

Yeah I know it’s unfortunate 

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

Lock has smaller hands than Kyler Murray. I’ll just throw that into the 100 other reasons why he isn’t good.

The biggest question with hand size is not whether a quarterback has a certain size of hands but whether or not that hand size affects the quarterback during actual games.

That didn’t seem to be the case fot Lock

For as patient as Murray can be despite his elite athleticism, he's not exactly a deft pocket drifter at this point. Yes he flashed the ability to subtly maneuver away from oncoming defenders  it just wasn't a consistent part of his game for the Sooners. At times, he'd leave the pocket to run at the first sign of pressure.

No QB can survive in NFL with Murray type of play. The league is now dominate by passing, short , intermediate, long ,not run as a rabbit ! 

You prefer Murray somme people Haskins others Lock. Say Lock is not good it is the claim no more !!

3 hours ago, French Fan said:

The biggest question with hand size is not whether a quarterback has a certain size of hands but whether or not that hand size affects the quarterback during actual games.

That didn’t seem to be the case fot Lock

For as patient as Murray can be despite his elite athleticism, he's not exactly a deft pocket drifter at this point. Yes he flashed the ability to subtly maneuver away from oncoming defenders  it just wasn't a consistent part of his game for the Sooners. At times, he'd leave the pocket to run at the first sign of pressure.

No QB can survive in NFL with Murray type of play. The league is now dominate by passing, short , intermediate, long ,not run as a rabbit ! 

You prefer Murray somme people Haskins others Lock. Say Lock is not good it is the claim no more !!

I respectfully still claim Lock is not good

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Counselor said:

I respectfully still claim Lock is not good

Your only argument is short hand !!!!!

Why Lock is considered by 32 NFL teams and thousand expert as 1st round ? You are better than him ?

Doug Flutie , Bernie Kosar too. But all played good in NFL. 

If Lock will be no good , his hand will not be a factor. Read defense , know playbook , play under pressure , leave pocket , decision when coverage will be tight.......yes !!

4 hours ago, French Fan said:

Your only argument is short hand !!!!!

Why Lock is considered by 32 NFL teams and thousand expert as 1st round ? You are better than him ?

Doug Flutie , Bernie Kosar too. But all played good in NFL. 

If Lock will be no good , his hand will not be a factor. Read defense , know playbook , play under pressure , leave pocket , decision when coverage will be tight.......yes !!

That’s not my only argument. I’ve sprinkled throughout this whole site pieces of my argument. I don’t have time to put it all together for you right now. 

On 4/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Cutler06 said:

So hearing a lot of the luster of this QB class wearing thin, probably some of it smoke. However, if Elway has a shot at Haskins or to a lesser extent, does he pull the trigger ? 

I don't think he does bud. I'd be a bit shocked if we draft a QB with our 10th pick. It wouldn't surprise me if we trade up to get a position player though. Some pretty amazing talent at other positions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think he does bud. I'd be a bit shocked if we draft a QB with our 10th pick. It wouldn't surprise me if we trade up to get a position player though. Some pretty amazing talent at other positions.

I am on the fence with this.  I’d prefer going another position at #10, but Elway puts himself in one hell of a tough spot if Flacco flops and there isn’t a young QB on the roster.

I know, I know, Denver could get one later and I am a big Stidham fan, but even he seems to be getting overdrafted in many of the mocks I’ve seen as many have him in the 2nd round now.  Haskins/Lock are definitively better prospects than Stidham as well and I don’t think some mid/late round QB does anything to keep support in Elway if Flacco has an abysmal season.

The bandaids at QB have to stop at some point or Elway will need shown the door.

Edited by germ-x

23 hours ago, germ-x said:

I am on the fence with this.  I’d prefer going another position at #10, but Elway puts himself in one hell of a tough spot if Flacco flops and there isn’t a young QB on the roster.

I know, I know, Denver could get one later and I am a big Stidham fan, but even he seems to be getting overdrafted in many of the mocks I’ve seen as many have him in the 2nd round now.  Haskins/Lock are definitively better prospects than Stidham as well and I don’t think some mid/late round QB does anything to keep support in Elway if Flacco has an abysmal season.

The bandaids at QB have to stop at some point or Elway will need shown the door.

So, the other thing that might buy him some time is having 2 first round picks in next years draft.  That way, he can commit to Flacco, but with a safety net. 

22 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

So, the other thing that might buy him some time is having 2 first round picks in next years draft.  That way, he can commit to Flacco, but with a safety net. 

May be worth it and maybe a team really wants #10, but for a comparison the value of moving from #10 to #15 is only a 3rd round pick.  So for Denver to pick up a future 1st round pick they’re likely moving back 15 picks.  Again, it may be worth it, but I don’t see it as likely.

There are all different scenarios that can be looked at and all could be successful.  Maybe Denver is all in on Flacco and believe he is the guy that leads this franchise to success for the next 3 years and it allows Denver to pick some mid round QBs over the next couple of years and develop them.  Also allows Denver to spend their early picks to fortify the rest of the team...it could definitely happen.  Maybe Flacco is what he has been the last 2-3 years and isn’t the answer and Denver isn’t a good football team.  I’ve read and had people tell me to give Flacco the benefit of the doubt this year and use early picks to make the rest of the team better and if Denver is bad go after a top QB in the 2020 draft.  That also could be a well played move, but isn’t really any different than taking a Haskins or Lock in 2019 and using the 2020 draft on other positions.