2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

May be worth it and maybe a team really wants #10, but for a comparison the value of moving from #10 to #15 is only a 3rd round pick.  So for Denver to pick up a future 1st round pick they’re likely moving back 15 picks.  Again, it may be worth it, but I don’t see it as likely.

There are all different scenarios that can be looked at and all could be successful.  Maybe Denver is all in on Flacco and believe he is the guy that leads this franchise to success for the next 3 years and it allows Denver to pick some mid round QBs over the next couple of years and develop them.  Also allows Denver to spend their early picks to fortify the rest of the team...it could definitely happen.  Maybe Flacco is what he has been the last 2-3 years and isn’t the answer and Denver isn’t a good football team.  I’ve read and had people tell me to give Flacco the benefit of the doubt this year and use early picks to make the rest of the team better and if Denver is bad go after a top QB in the 2020 draft.  That also could be a well played move, but isn’t really any different than taking a Haskins or Lock in 2019 and using the 2020 draft on other positions.

I agree - it’s unlikely.  But just one more potential scenario that Elway could be thinking about in what is turning out to be a very unpredictable draft year.

Obviously, it all comes down to what Elway REALLY thinks about Flacco - whether he believes what he’s saying in public (“just entering his Prime, etc”), or if that is just spin.  The other consideration is what message drafting someone at 10 (or anywhere in the 1st round) sends to Flacco and the team.  Basically, you’re telling him he’s going to be replaced this year or next - no matter what.  What’s that do to his motivation, and his ability to lead the team?  With a later round QB, it’s more motivational, I believe.  They don’t ever HAVE to play if Flacco is playing well - but if he’s not getting it done, they’re right there to push him.  

Me, I like both Haskins and Locke. I think they’re going to be good, if not great, QB’s that could lead this team for 10 years or more. I think one, or both, will be available at 10. When was the last time Denver had that kind of stability at the QB position?  1998?  Who knows when we’ll be in a position to get an equivalent QB again.  But - I certainly get the logic that says ride with Flacco.  I do think he can be a good fit with this offense and with Scangarello.  I’d love to give him a stud TE to throw to, and maybe a rd 2 center/guard to shore up the line, and see what he can do.  

42 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I agree - it’s unlikely.  But just one more potential scenario that Elway could be thinking about in what is turning out to be a very unpredictable draft year.

Obviously, it all comes down to what Elway REALLY thinks about Flacco - whether he believes what he’s saying in public (“just entering his Prime, etc”), or if that is just spin.  The other consideration is what message drafting someone at 10 (or anywhere in the 1st round) sends to Flacco and the team.  Basically, you’re telling him he’s going to be replaced this year or next - no matter what.  What’s that do to his motivation, and his ability to lead the team?  With a later round QB, it’s more motivational, I believe.  They don’t ever HAVE to play if Flacco is playing well - but if he’s not getting it done, they’re right there to push him.  

Me, I like both Haskins and Locke. I think they’re going to be good, if not great, QB’s that could lead this team for 10 years or more. I think one, or both, will be available at 10. When was the last time Denver had that kind of stability at the QB position?  1998?  Who knows when we’ll be in a position to get an equivalent QB again.  But - I certainly get the logic that says ride with Flacco.  I do think he can be a good fit with this offense and with Scangarello.  I’d love to give him a stud TE to throw to, and maybe a rd 2 center/guard to shore up the line, and see what he can do.  

The approach may be to not put any pressure on Flacco by selecting a QB high.  IMO, that’d take some cajones on Elway’s part considering Flacco hasn’t had a good season since 2014, but who knows.

I guess this is just my preference and by no means is the only correct move, but I’d prefer to get a QB on the roster as quickly as possible.  If Haskins or Lock were there at #10 I would take one of them considering Denver’s situation, even though I think White, Bush, Hockenson are all studs and fill an immediate need.

If Flacco performs well that’s awesome and Denver can let the young QB sit for 2 or 3 years and that wouldn’t bother me a bit.  If Flacco flops, the young QB is already on the roster with a year of experience in the system and ready to take over.  The 2020 draft can be used to fill other needs as opposed to crossing our fingers hoping one falls or having to trade current or future assets to move up and get one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I guess this is just my preference and by no means is the only correct move, but I’d prefer to get a QB on the roster as quickly as possible.  If Haskins or Lock were there at #10 I would take one of them considering Denver’s situation, even though I think White, Bush, Hockenson are all studs and fill an immediate need.

If Flacco performs well that’s awesome and Denver can let the young QB sit for 2 or 3 years and that wouldn’t bother me a bit.  If Flacco flops, the young QB is already on the roster with a year of experience in the system and ready to take over.  The 2020 draft can be used to fill other needs as opposed to crossing our fingers hoping one falls or having to trade current or future assets to move up and get one.

I concur...

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

The days of sitting a QB for years is done now, because you only get them on a cheap deal for 5 years and then you've got to pay them an absolute fortune which hampers your ability to surround your QB with talent. You need to go all in on winning a ring whilst you've got a QB on his rookie deal now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The days of sitting a QB for years is done now, because you only get them on a cheap deal for 5 years and then you've got to pay them an absolute fortune which hampers your ability to surround your QB with talent. You need to go all in on winning a ring whilst you've got a QB on his rookie deal now.

That doesn’t bother me and I don’t think you don’t draft a QB in case Flacco is actually good and the rookie has to sit for 2-3 years (don’t forget 1st round picks are essentially on 5 year contracts).  Further, there are ways around this, like extending a rookie QB after a season or if you really believe in them before they have a ridiculous season and they severely out price themselves.

I actually think we start seeing more of this in the NFL, Belichick has been ahead of the game in this area, but as these salaries increase we will start seeing teams extend players 2-3 years before they’re FAs.

Honestly, I don’t think Denver is in any different a position as last year and until they make a move for a young QB this will continue as I think Flacco is an upgrade over Keenum, but he isn’t the long term answer, nor can he be at 34 years old.  He’s already declined and isn’t near the caliber QB as a Manning, Brady, or Brees who are/were capable of playing until and into their 40s.

Again, I will not complain if Denver takes something other than a QB at #10, I think they get a better player if they do immediately.  It’s a lot like last season, do you sacrifice the now for the future and are you willing to take the risk?  Denver didn’t last year and are now in basically the same spot they were in going into the 2018 draft.  Did Bradley Chubb move the win/loss column in the same way Josh Allen or Josh Rosen could’ve or would’ve in the future?  Does Devin White, Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson or anyone else someone can think of increase Denver’s win rate the way a QB could?  

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I actually think we start seeing more of this in the NFL, Belichick has been ahead of the game in this area, but as these salaries increase we will start seeing teams extend players 2-3 years before they’re FAs.

And that my friend is a main reason why the Pats are where they are, year in, year out. They extend them early and if that fails, trade them for more draft capitol. Thats why they always seem to have so many picks.

Absolutely excellent observation bud.

15 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

.  I’d love to give him a stud TE to throw to, and maybe a rd 2 center/guard to shore up the line, and see what he can do.  

How about Hockenson/Bradbury? We'd probably have to trade back up into the first to get 'em both but what a get.

Our OL would go top 5 by the seasons end. IMO Bolles gets his first pro-bowl this year, Leary's a solid LG, Bradburys the best center prospect in a while, McGovern can handle RG and may be good at it and our new RT should upgrade us immensely. With Hockenson at TE, both as a blocker and receiver we've just improved our talent in both the running and passing game.

Flacco, with upgrades like that could have a field day. We've got lots of talent in the other skill positions to make our Offense really dangerous.

Anyway, just a thought.

By the way, the concept of "QBOTF" IMO is just that, a concept and fairly self-deceptive. Unless you've got a strong team already a new drafted QB has no chance of altering that teams future. Mayfield/Rosen are perfect examples. Mayfield was drafted by a team thats built steadily through the draft. Rosen, not so much. Mayfield could have a great career but to do that he's got to follow the "Brady" path. Tom's kinda my hero here. He's kept his pay low to win rings. Ya gotta love him for that!

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Tom's kinda my hero here. He's kept his pay low to win rings. Ya gotta love him for that!

Business Insider did a study a few months back about him. They conservatively estimated that Tom Brady has sacrificed over $60 million in potential earnings throughout his career (upper estimates put him closer to a hundred). His yearly salary has never broken $20 million, and he has never once been the highest paid QB in the league in any season in HIS ENTIRE CAREER... Let that soak in for a second. 6 Superbowl rings later though, the proof is kind of in the pudding.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Business Insider did a study a few months back about him. They conservatively estimated that Tom Brady has sacrificed over $60 million in potential earnings throughout his career (upper estimates put him closer to a hundred). His yearly salary has never broken $20 million, and he has never once been the highest paid QB in the league in any season in HIS ENTIRE CAREER... Let that soak in for a second. 6 Superbowl rings later though, the proof is kind of in the pudding.   

I mean Tom has obviously sacrificed earnings and gotten results but it does help to be married to the highest paid model on the planet.  (In more ways than 1 I might add)

On 4/7/2019 at 8:03 AM, germ-x said:

Yeah this is 100% where I am as well. I’m done with veteran journeyman and unless Russell Wilson hits the open market - and Seattle is too smart a franchise to allow that to happen - the only way to real contention is draft and develop. 

Ellis and the trust might not allow Elway to go that route however as they are in desperate win-now, even if it’s 10 wins and a Wild Card berth kind of win-now, they will are passing on a defensive player or OL for a QB who won’t start for a year or two as A waste and a lost chance and getting an extra primetime game or two. 

Sad state of affairs this franchise is in right now. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah this is 100% where I am as well. I’m done with veteran journeyman and unless Russell Wilson hits the open market - and Seattle is too smart a franchise to allow that to happen - the only way to real contention is draft and develop. 

Ellis and the trust might not allow Elway to go that route however as they are in desperate win-now, even if it’s 10 wins and a Wild Card berth kind of win-now, they will are passing on a defensive player or OL for a QB who won’t start for a year or two as A waste and a lost chance and getting an extra primetime game or two. 

Sad state of affairs this franchise is in right now. 

Elway’s hands could definitely be tied.  It’s why I always wonder how tight the collar is on Elway or if he’s handcuffed.  Again I feel Elway deserves another 2-3 years regardless of this draft, but A LOT of broncos fans don’t agree with that stance. Putting myself in Elways position I think from a job security standpoint having a young QB on the roster buys him more time to get it right, but if we go through another year or 2 of trying to bandaid the QB position I think it may be time for Elway to go.  I think it would solidify that he’s scared to take a QB in the draft and is crossing his fingers that a the staff can develop a mid to late rounder.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Elway’s hands could definitely be tied.  It’s why I always wonder how tight the collar is on Elway or if he’s handcuffed.  Again I feel Elway deserves another 2-3 years regardless of this draft, but A LOT of broncos fans don’t agree with that stance. Putting myself in Elways position I think from a job security standpoint having a young QB on the roster buys him more time to get it right, but if we go through another year or 2 of trying to bandaid the QB position I think it may be time for Elway to go.  I think it would solidify that he’s scared to take a QB in the draft and is crossing his fingers that a the staff can develop a mid to late rounder.

I know one thing for sure.  If Elway DOES take a Qb in the first round, he will live or die with that QB’s success (or lack thereof).  If this one bombs, Elway is gone.