2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I know one thing for sure.  If Elway DOES take a Qb in the first round, he will live or die with that QB’s success (or lack thereof).  If this one bombs, Elway is gone. 

Agreed. 

4 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I know one thing for sure.  If Elway DOES take a Qb in the first round, he will live or die with that QB’s success (or lack thereof).  If this one bombs, Elway is gone. 

If Broncos win Championship year 1 or year 2 with Flacco and Draft QB this year at 10 and he is a bust...........no !

In today's NFL, you cannot draft a QB with a premium pick and let him sit for 50% or more of his rookie contract. Just absolutely cannot do it. The salary disparity between a QB's rookie deal and his eventual second deal is so significant that it drastically alters a team's roster composition.

Having that rookie QB contributing early means you can supplement the team with high-impact FAs, and be more aggressive in pursuing impact players. The Rams are a perfect example. The moves they made will not be possible when Goff starts making $25MM+ per year. It's true that QBs need some time to develop, but unless and until the pay scale changes, the best thing you can do is draft a QB with some skills, throw him to the wolves, and commit to building a team around him quickly to try and maximize success.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

In today's NFL, you cannot draft a QB with a premium pick and let him sit for 50% or more of his rookie contract. Just absolutely cannot do it. The salary disparity between a QB's rookie deal and his eventual second deal is so significant that it drastically alters a team's roster composition.

Having that rookie QB contributing early means you can supplement the team with high-impact FAs, and be more aggressive in pursuing impact players. The Rams are a perfect example. The moves they made will not be possible when Goff starts making $25MM+ per year. It's true that QBs need some time to develop, but unless and until the pay scale changes, the best thing you can do is draft a QB with some skills, throw him to the wolves, and commit to building a team around him quickly to try and maximize success.

So, the best strategy then is to draft a better than average QB who can manage a game, build a strong offensive line, and a running game around him, and make the defense the focal point to the team.  Then you maintain that offensive line, and the defense, then you draft running backs on the cheap because they are good for five years at best anyway, and make sure you land a better than average QB every five years, like a Dak Prescott type...nothing fancy, nor great, nor bad about his game; but he will do in a pinch.  Totally dig the strategy.

Edited by jsthomp2007

45 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

So, the best strategy then is to draft a better than average QB who can manage a game, build a strong offensive line, and a running game around him, and make the defense the focal point to the team.  Then you maintain that offensive line, and the defense, then you draft running backs on the cheap because they are good for five years at best anyway, and make sure you land a better than average QB every five years, like a Dak Prescott type...nothing fancy, nor great, nor bad about his game; but he will do in a pinch.  Totally dig the strategy.

Kinda like the 2000 Ravens, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don’t know that I agree with this.  Whether the rookie sits or not doesn’t really matter in terms of building the rest of the team, if a young premium pick QB is on the roster all FA money and draft picks will be focused on the rest of the football team.

Now I understand that a young QB would be on a cheap deal and allow the team to throw bigger contracts out during that time, but again, whether they play or not in the first couple of years doesn’t really prevent a team from doing that anyway. 

Further there is a “theory” going around that makes QB an essentially interchangeable position.  You get a young QB on a cheap deal, use the saved funds to build an excellent roster, and when the QB hits his 2nd contract let him walk and do it all over again.  It sounds great, but would be a complete disaster in the vast majority of cases.  Finding quality QB play is probably the most difficult thing to do in all of sports, further, if a team lets a really good young QB walk at 27-28 years old and the team takes a step back you’ve essentially written your ticket out of town as a GM/Coach.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 2:45 AM, germ-x said:

Honestly, I don’t think Denver is in any different a position as last year and until they make a move for a young QB this will continue as I think Flacco is an upgrade over Keenum, but he isn’t the long term answer, nor can he be at 34 years old.  He’s already declined and isn’t near the caliber QB as a Manning, Brady, or Brees who are/were capable of playing until and into their 40s.

Again, I will not complain if Denver takes something other than a QB at #10, I think they get a better player if they do immediately.  It’s a lot like last season, do you sacrifice the now for the future and are you willing to take the risk?  Denver didn’t last year and are now in basically the same spot they were in going into the 2018 draft.  Did Bradley Chubb move the win/loss column in the same way Josh Allen or Josh Rosen could’ve or would’ve in the future?  Does Devin White, Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson or anyone else someone can think of increase Denver’s win rate the way a QB could?  

I didn’t say we aren’t drafting a QB, but if we do then I expect him to play a role this year. Flacco was playing alright last year before he got injured but even he got taken out because it was Jackson time 

On 4/10/2019 at 4:14 PM, germ-x said:

I don’t know that I agree with this.  Whether the rookie sits or not doesn’t really matter in terms of building the rest of the team, if a young premium pick QB is on the roster all FA money and draft picks will be focused on the rest of the football team.

Now I understand that a young QB would be on a cheap deal and allow the team to throw bigger contracts out during that time, but again, whether they play or not in the first couple of years doesn’t really prevent a team from doing that anyway. 

Further there is a “theory” going around that makes QB an essentially interchangeable position.  You get a young QB on a cheap deal, use the saved funds to build an excellent roster, and when the QB hits his 2nd contract let him walk and do it all over again.  It sounds great, but would be a complete disaster in the vast majority of cases.  Finding quality QB play is probably the most difficult thing to do in all of sports, further, if a team lets a really good young QB walk at 27-28 years old and the team takes a step back you’ve essentially written your ticket out of town as a GM/Coach.

I think Elways got a different variation, that being pick up established veterans, pay 'em a reasonable amount and surround them with the best talent they can afford.

Worked with PM, failed with Case, and ??????????? with Flacco.

10 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think Elways got a different variation, that being pick up established veterans, pay 'em a reasonable amount and surround them with the best talent they can afford.

Worked with PM, failed with Case, and ??????????? with Flacco.

Yeah, but I don’t see that working either.  Manning is an exception, but going after journeyman QBs or QBs that are average is going to result in average QB play in the majority of cases.

I like Flacco and think he’s a better option than Keenum.  I really like his playoff experience and his arm strength to back the defense off. I think he can have a solid year in Denver.  But he literally hasn’t been good since 2014 and even that wasn’t a great year.  He’s been an average to above QB his entire career, I don’t expect that to change here in Denver.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, but I don’t see that working either.  Manning is an exception, but going after journeyman QBs or QBs that are average is going to result in average QB play in the majority of cases.

I like Flacco and think he’s a better option than Keenum.  I really like his playoff experience and his arm strength to back the defense off. I think he can have a solid year in Denver.  But he literally hasn’t been good since 2014 and even that wasn’t a great year.  He’s been an average to above QB his entire career, I don’t expect that to change here in Denver.

He's been bottom 10 to bottom 5 for the past four years. I just don't think he's going to lead us anywhere but to mediocrity, and if Elway is counting on more than that, then he might as well pack his bags now.

We need to draft our guy now while we have the chance. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

In the era of FA it's a dilemma, that's for sure. Draft a kid and hope he can win a SB in his first five years or pick up an aging vet on a decent salary and hope he can do it. 

Two things: I keep reading how you guys say Flacco has been terrible the last few years but then say we will be mediocre. If he is terrible shouldn’t we have a bottom 5 record. That also may be a blessing in disguise. Get a blue chip qb next draft. 

Its starting to be drew lock in every mock. Is that the pick or are we gonna all be in shock when he’s available and it’s someone else?

Thirdly is said lock, mock, and shock in the same paragraph. 

14 minutes ago, OrangeNBlue86 said:

Two things: I keep reading how you guys say Flacco has been terrible the last few years but then say we will be mediocre. If he is terrible shouldn’t we have a bottom 5 record. That also may be a blessing in disguise. Get a blue chip qb next draft. 

Its starting to be drew lock in every mock. Is that the pick or are we gonna all be in shock when he’s available and it’s someone else?

Thirdly is said lock, mock, and shock in the same paragraph. 

Or, with Lock in every Mock will we be in Shock if it's a Crock. I, for one, won't be.