2nd Viewing OL Thoughts

WindyCity

1. This was an exceptional day in pass protection across the board. A ton of ++ plays where the entire line is providing great time and have their guys on lock down. Even when they gave up pressure it was controlled and not free runners, except the almost safety.

2. Witzmann is better than Kush. At a minimum he is a better pass blocker and he uses his huge wingspan to really punch DTs before they can get their momentum going. I came away impressed.

3. The Bears got worked over on the interior against Snacks Harrison in the run game. He is just too big and powerful for Cody Whitehair to deal with.

4. There were a couple of instances where Witzmann and Whitehair struggled with communication and who was going to do what on the double team. Some of that is to be expected with guys playing beside each other.

5. James Daniels is better in pass pro right now than he is in the run game. He is pretty good when he is on the playside, but backside and pulling was not great.

6. This seems to be a physical issue. They just are not moving people and they are ending up on the ground a lot. I am not sure they are built for the power run game that they are running with Long and Massie beside each other. They just are not that physical of an OL. 

7. The Bears may need to go back to some of the simplified zone runs they have run in the past with Howard. This requires less reading and less physical dominance from your OL.

#3 called it. That dude is a monster of a human being.

#5 Daniels just turned 21. He will get a lot stronger in next two to three years. And, beating dead horse, should be center.

#7 Interesting thought.

Start a game day thread.  We have to post in MN thread right now.

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

2. Witzmann is better than Kush. At a minimum he is a better pass blocker and he uses his huge wingspan to really punch DTs before they can get their momentum going. I came away impressed.

When I re-watched the Bills game I was liking what I saw from Witzmann too, haven't re-watched the Lions game yet but when I do I'll look out for this.

I think Kush's neck injury is hindering him more than they are letting on, I think that's the reason he was still splitting snaps with Witzmann against Buffalo, and why Witzmann got all the snaps this week. Looks like we're going to see a lot more of Witzmann than Kush going forward.

Archived