John Elway's Approach to Protests

elliot878

WARNING We're going to stay away from the political side of this discussion.  As soon as this turns political, I will lock the thread - so please do not go there.  I have faith that this group can handle this discussion without breaking forum rules.

That said, I think this article is a worthwhile read.  It gives you a sense of the culture inside Dove Valley, and how things are run from the top down.  Differing opinions are respected, players are allowed to take a stand, as long as their stand doesn't take priority over winning football games.  Elway also wants to see action in the community by players if they are protesting, not just taking a blind stance.  

Interesting stuff, and as far as I can tell, a mature way to manage in today's climate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-elway-fine-protests-within-102905850.html

48 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Without commenting any actual views on either the protestors, or those who are against the protestors, I think Elway's approach to this has been inch perfect.

Agreed. Think Elway is taking the right approach. Players have a right to take action to support their opinions, but ultimately the Broncos come first and nothing must negatively affect the team.

Elway of all people is absolutely the right person to understand the status of and know what is right and wrong for this team.

Elway's approach is 100% the right one in today's polarized society. The people commenting on that Yahoo story are absurd and I can virtually guarantee they didn't read the story. I think it's important that players not only protest, but take action and use their platform to advance change. I'm glad to see Elway laying ground rules- frankly, it's brilliant from a football standpoint. It treats players as men and says "use your platform, but also do your job first." A much different message than the GMs/owners calling it "ridiculous", "divisive", or whatever else. Kudos to John, who I can confidently say has different views than his players, yet allows them to freely express their constitutionally protected rights.

I was pleasantly surprised by the nuance and understanding in Elway's approach and even moreso his acknowledgment of the motivations behind the protest, which people everywhere seem content to ignore or misrepresent. Was a great message that covered all the bases, John definitely got this one right.

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If I was in Elway's position my stance would be clear - you stand for the Anthem or you sit for the game. 

And that is honestly perfectly reasonable. That is up to the owner of course, not Elway, as when you put your uniform on you represent that owner, or in our case - whatever company we all work for.

that said, I agree with Elways approach.  He clearly states that none of this takes precedent over your job.  When you're in the stadium, at Dove Valley etc, your focus must stay on football.  Those are "hours worked" for these guys, and their focus should be on their job while at work. Kneeling doesn't mean your focus can't still be on football, it's a thin line I guess, but Elway seems to be walking it masterfully in a way that doesn't antagonize or offend anyone on either side.

27 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Well said by Elway. Read through some of Brandon Marshall's IG comments sometime. People are sick. 

I can't stomach reading famous people's comments on social media.  So thankful I don't have, nor will I ever have, any level of fame.

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If I was in Elway's position my stance would be clear - you stand for the Anthem or you sit for the game. 

If Elway did that he would've got major backlash. Earlier this year he lobbied for judge Neil Gorsuch with a letter using the official Broncos letterhead. He also attended Trump's inauguration.

He would look really hypocritical and partisan if he didn't let players express their beliefs.

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

And yet, taking Elway's nuanced approach is going to be attractive to FAR more players in this league than the other way around. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

And yet, taking Elway's nuanced approach is going to be attractive to FAR more players in this league than the other way around. 

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree with both of you Elways job is to be flexible not stepping on toes assembling the best team possible.

But I see AAA's point this is a job anything that effects the bottom line which sitting for the Anthem does shouldn't be allowed.

I can't go to my job wearing hats of my agendas or affiliations. Whats the difference of a player doing it. The league is supposed to be neutral in every way. 

Micheal Jordan said it best not sure if I can quote it. But nothing should happen during a game that effects the bottom line.

I wouldn't let Micheal Bennett come out with that book.I would say do you wanna be a Seattle Seahawk or write a controversial book.

10 hours ago, elliot878 said:

And that is honestly perfectly reasonable. That is up to the owner of course, not Elway, as when you put your uniform on you represent that owner, or in our case - whatever company we all work for.

that said, I agree with Elways approach.  He clearly states that none of this takes precedent over your job.  When you're in the stadium, at Dove Valley etc, your focus must stay on football.  Those are "hours worked" for these guys, and their focus should be on their job while at work. Kneeling doesn't mean your focus can't still be on football, it's a thin line I guess, but Elway seems to be walking it masterfully in a way that doesn't antagonize or offend anyone on either side.

I agree with this. He had to thread that needle. He has to make sure everyone in that locker room, from Derek Wolfe to Brandon Marshall, are fighting for the same goal, the one that makes them all famous and rich.

7 hours ago, champ11 said:

Well said by Elway. Read through some of Brandon Marshall's IG comments sometime. People are sick. 

7 hours ago, elliot878 said:

I can't stomach reading famous people's comments on social media.  So thankful I don't have, nor will I ever have, any level of fame.

Hate comes from all sides. Read what people write on social media at / to / about those on the right.

Hate comes in many forms and it comes from all sides.

The political left in this country thinks they have some kind of moral superiority on this matter and they most certainly do not. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Yeah that's true; at the end of the day business is business and the Broncos are in the business of winning football games. 

That being said, there's a reason that POS CSMF Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job. Business is business. 

Archived