Other Leagues Thread- Ligue 1, Championship, Portugal, etc

LeeEvans

• 1 month later...

Woooo I finally have my own local club to support. The Michigan Bucks are relocating from Pontiac to Flint after more than 15 years of operation in Pontiac. We have a great stadium for them to play in (11,000 seat Atwood Stadium) and hopefully we can get some great local support like DCFC has in Detroit. 

They are probably one of the most successful lower league soccer clubs in recent history too. 11 US open cup qualifications(including a cup win over the New England Revolution) , 11 divisional championships, and 3 national titles. 

I am beyond excited :D

9 hours ago, UKTexans said:

How do you have a USL 2 but no USL 1?

Will there be promotion and relegation?

USL 2 is currently the u23 league for the USL. The speculation is that the move from Pontiac to Flint (to a bigger stadium and Market) is a precursor to a move to USL League One, which is the 2nd division of the current USL and its set to begin play in 2019. So the pyramid right now in US soccer would look like this starting in 2019, with the Flint based team starting in USL 2 with the hopes of joining USL League One. There is no current promotion relegation system in place but its been rumored that the USL wants to incorporate it for its top 2 leagues.

MLS

USL

USL League One 

USL 2 

Edit: Here's some more info about he USL https://www.uslsoccer.com//unitedforsoccer

Edited by Imarobot

On 11/1/2018 at 4:49 PM, Imarobot said:

Woooo I finally have my own local club to support. The Michigan Bucks are relocating from Pontiac to Flint after more than 15 years of operation in Pontiac. We have a great stadium for them to play in (11,000 seat Atwood Stadium) and hopefully we can get some great local support like DCFC has in Detroit. 

They are probably one of the most successful lower league soccer clubs in recent history too. 11 US open cup qualifications(including a cup win over the New England Revolution) , 11 divisional championships, and 3 national titles. 

I am beyond excited :D

First of all, Michigan Bucks is too confusing with the Milwaukee Bucks being a thing. Second, they should be renamed the Flint Tropics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 9:36 PM, LeeEvans said:

First of all, Michigan Bucks is too confusing with the Milwaukee Bucks being a thing. Second, they should be renamed the Flint Tropics.

Image may contain: sky and text

This is how they decided to rebrand the team. I absolutely HATE the random soccer ball, but I think everything else is pretty great.

This is the downtown area which influenced the brick and arches references in the crest for those unfamiliar.

Image result for downtown flint michigan

Edited by Imarobot
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, Imarobot said:

Image may contain: sky and text

This is how they decided to rebrand the team. I absolutely HATE the random soccer ball, but I think everything else is pretty great.

This is the downtown area which influenced the brick and arches references in the crest for those unfamiliar.

Image result for downtown flint michigan

I wish in the info graph they included an arrow in the soccer ball state, "we play soccer."

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/08/2018 at 5:25 PM, UKTexans said:

Rowett is so overrated.

He went on a decent run with Birmingham but underachieved at Derby.

On 07/08/2018 at 2:44 AM, LeeEvans said:

I'm not sure if I'd say he underachieved with Derby. That was not as good of a side as the one with Hughes and Hendricks in it. They played us pretty well but I don't think the talent level was particularly high. 

On 07/08/2018 at 10:27 AM, UKTexans said:

Vydra, Jerome, Nugent, Weimann, Lawrence, Ledley, Johnson, Wisdom, Carson. Lot of EPL experience there.

I've just found this thread, but you're both right. 

Rowett didn't underachieve at Derby in terms of results, but he eradicated any sense of style and the football was difficult to watch. It certainly wasn't a good for player development and I believe we had the oldest squad in the league with a reluctance to promote any of our youth players despite winning the PL2 over the likes of Arsenal. He will also be remembered 'best' as the man who sold Hughes, a truly talented footballer who was just good to watch. Hendrick was no big miss, he'll be back in the Championship soon enough and has a tendency of going missing for 70 minutes of every game. 

Of the players listed: Vydra was okay but Rowett centred our entire attack around putting him in good positions, so it's no surprised he scored goals. He lacks the fundamentals to be a Premier League player. Jerome was a poor buy. Nugent was okay last season, poor this time round. Weimann lacks so much quality that he is able to cover up with endeavour, but there will be guys playing in League 2 right now with more ability. Lawrence is talented, if somewhat wasteful and frustrating. Ledley was okay last season, not outstanding. Johnson lacks quality, bit of a clogger in all honesty. Wisdom at his best is very good, at his worst very clumsy. Carson was outstanding last season, certainly the only reason we were in the top 6 places last season. You missed Curtis Davies, who was outstanding too, plus Keogh. The trio of Carson, Keogh and Davies really was the reason we were able to compete. 

This season has been a lot better in terms of development and enjoyment. We're a lot more inconsistent, for example we scored 8 when beating WBA & Norwich but we lost and failed to score on the road to Bolton, Rotherham and Millwall. Luckily we're quite consistent at home so it should be enough to see us finish in the top 6.

• 1 month later...