Derek Carr

Skins212689

I think the Skins should look into seeing what the price would be to get him. Seems things aren't all that great in Oakland. I would definitely consider a 2019 2nd that could turn into a 2020 1st at this point. Smith isn't the answer and being as though it looks like we will make the playoffs I don't see Gruden being fired, but Carr may be available during the offseason and if so I want in. 

28 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I think the Skins should look into seeing what the price would be to get him. Seems things aren't all that great in Oakland. I would definitely consider a 2019 2nd that could turn into a 2020 1st at this point. Smith isn't the answer and being as though it looks like we will make the playoffs I don't see Gruden being fired, but Carr may be available during the offseason and if so I want in. 

If his brother doesn’t want Carr why would Jay?

So long as Simple Jack is coach. It doesnt matter the qbs name. They will be equally bad.

5 years and we dont have a single offensive weapon that catches in the top 150 targeted%caught. Got teams out there with 3 players catching 70% of their targets. And best we do is a couple around 55%. What QB can be successful with that?

We need to stop going after other people's retreads at quarterback.  We need to draft and develop a pro-style quarterback on our own.  No gimmicky run-first QB like RGIII.  A legitimate QB who is a leader, has a strong, accurate arm and is going to move the needle on the field.  And we can't force it and trade away all of our draft picks again, we've got to let that person come to us and then do our due diligence developing them.  

So the Vikings can steal Cousins from us. Brees can leave the Chargers for the Saints. Manning can even go get his last SB with the Broncos but the Skins need to hold onto Smith who cant lead this offense to many points. Once again I would definitely look into seeing what it would cost to get Carr. There is no QB coming out this year worth a 1st round pick who will light it up straight out of college. Carr is still young and has the tools to be a good to great QB. This team is a QB, LG, CB, and one dominate pass rusher away from being a legit contender and I think they should act on things immediately. Cravens a former 2nd round pick no longer a Skin. Matt Jones a former 3rd round pick no longer a Skin. So lets not get too caught up in draft picks versus proven players. Carr is a proven player. Fuller a proven steal in the 3rd round they let go for Mr Smith. I'd definitely been happier letting Fuller go for Carr than Smith. 

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So long as Simple Jack is coach. It doesnt matter the qbs name. They will be equally bad.

5 years and we dont have a single offensive weapon that catches in the top 150 targeted%caught. Got teams out there with 3 players catching 70% of their targets. And best we do is a couple around 55%. What QB can be successful with that?

I’m a little confused. Maurice Harris is at 77%. Chris Thompson is at 82%. Jamison Crowder is at 68%. Jordan Reed is at 63%. Vernon Davis is at 71%. Richardson and Doctson are low, that’s for sure. Richardson is a deep ball guy and Doctson is not very good.

But several of those guys are easily among the top 150 in catch rate — they probably just aren’t showing up on the list because they don’t have enough targets. That’s more of an injury issue than an offensive effectiveness issue.

And if we’re talking about long-term, among players with at least 100 targets since 2014, we’ve got Thompson, Reed, Crowder, Davis, and Garçon all in the top 150. Which, with the exception of DJax and Doctson, is pretty much everyone we’ve thrown the ball to since Gruden got here. 

Can't get any QB now for the next two years unless we draft one because we have Smith.  No QB would sign to compete with Smith nor can we get rid of Smith with the cap hit that comes with it AND pay another starting QB.  We are stuck with this guy for at least two years and just typing this makes me so sad man.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m a little confused. Maurice Harris is at 77%. Chris Thompson is at 82%. Jamison Crowder is at 68%. Jordan Reed is at 63%. Vernon Davis is at 71%. Richardson and Doctson are low, that’s for sure. Richardson is a deep ball guy and Doctson is not very good.

But several of those guys are easily among the top 150 in catch rate — they probably just aren’t showing up on the list because they don’t have enough targets. That’s more of an injury issue than an offensive effectiveness issue.

And if we’re talking about long-term, among players with at least 100 targets since 2014, we’ve got Thompson, Reed, Crowder, Davis, and Garçon all in the top 150. Which, with the exception of DJax and Doctson, is pretty much everyone we’ve thrown the ball to since Gruden got here. 

Theyre injured and not on the field. So didnt get listed. The WRs depended on most are terrible.

Davis has 15 catches, Crowder 13 and hasnt played since the Saints game. Gruden is an offensive coach with 0 weapons. What he does have to spread a defense is among worst in the league. And when you dink and dunk all game, you can get passes to RBs but nothing is to amount from it. I wasnt factoring in RBs. But Chris Thompson had 13 yards a catch last year. And this year its 7. We cant keep the DBs back because we have had nothing at WR so no chance for him to have broken things open.

An offensive minded coach was hired. And each year our talent gets collectively worse and production dropped.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, Skins212689 said:

So the Vikings can steal Cousins from us. Brees can leave the Chargers for the Saints. Manning can even go get his last SB with the Broncos but the Skins need to hold onto Smith who cant lead this offense to many points. Once again I would definitely look into seeing what it would cost to get Carr. There is no QB coming out this year worth a 1st round pick who will light it up straight out of college. Carr is still young and has the tools to be a good to great QB. This team is a QB, LG, CB, and one dominate pass rusher away from being a legit contender and I think they should act on things immediately. Cravens a former 2nd round pick no longer a Skin. Matt Jones a former 3rd round pick no longer a Skin. So lets not get too caught up in draft picks versus proven players. Carr is a proven player. Fuller a proven steal in the 3rd round they let go for Mr Smith. I'd definitely been happier letting Fuller go for Carr than Smith. 

In a vacuum, would I like to replace Alex Smith with Derek Carr? Sure.

However, a move like that cannot be evaluated solely in a vacuum.

First off, the Redskins would have to deal with Smith's contract. Assuming they cut him in late February/early March (i.e. before the fifth day of the 2019 League Year), that would mean the Redskins would take on $20.4M in dead cap in 2019 along with another $16.2M spread across the next three years. Of course, I'm assuming they would designate Smith a June cut; otherwise, it would be $36.6M all in 2019.

Second, the Redskins 2019 cap situation is currently estimated at $174.3M (if you go on Spotrac, you'll need to divide the number by two because they've double entered all of the Redskins for 2019). Cutting Smith in late February/early March as a June cut would not change that number (his salary and pro-rated portion of the signing bonus are already guaranteed). $174M would put the Redskins somewhere in the realm of $10-12M in cap space ... significantly less than the $19.9M Carr's 2019 salary would handle. Could they make room for him? Sure, with some reworking of contracts. However, that leads the Redskins back to the troubles they had in the 2000s where they were always kicking the can down the road with renegotiations, causing them to keep players longer than they should and let players they should keep go because they couldn't afford to re-sign them.

Then there is the problem of giving up the draft pick. Yes, no pick is guaranteed, and as you pointed to, the Redskins have had some high level misses. Those misses are costly because of losing a quality player on a cheap contract. Giving up the ability to get a cheap, potentially good linebacker for four years (five if you include the 5th year option, though that makes said player significantly less cheap) is a loss of value not only in that player, but also in the cap space that player doesn't take up. That allows you to keep guys like Scherff or Ioannidis. Tossing that the Raiders for Carr causes the team to have less room for the guys they want to sign as well as losing out on that hungry up-and-coming talent.

The Redskins did themselves a substantial disservice first by trading for Alex Smith (giving away young cheap talent they had already developed in Fuller and the ability to get more young cheap talent in the form of a 3rd round pick(*)). At the same time, trading for Derek Carr a year after trading for Alex Smith and sending another high round draft pick would be devastating for the franchise. This would require a lot of contract jiggery-pokery as well as potentially letting guys like Matt Ioannidis walk because they couldn't afford to keep them. That's a bad deal all the way around.

Again, I do not think Alex Smith helps this team get to the Super Bowl. At the same time, the Redskins have made their bed with this deal. Blowing it up a year in would be silly in the extreme.

(*) Had they kept the pick, they could have gotten both Mason Rudolph (at 74) and Geron Christian or Martinas Rankin (at 78). Of course, that's 20/20 hindsight, but even if you exclude the idea that Rudolph would have been there, they could have gotten another cheap lineman in the third.

Archived