Jaguars sign Patrick Omameh

pwny

On 11/14/2018 at 9:56 PM, Tugboat said:

Seems like we could do worse as a bargain bin cheap depth guy. I'm our system/coaching at least. Don't mind if he sticks around, unless he's gotten significantly worse since he was last here or something. 

He doesn't have the talent around him in NY maybe the reason why his game has suffered so much. He gave up a total of 18 pressures the entire 17' season and he's already given up 21 this season.. simply pathetic and our line is clearly worse than last year so yeah I doubt he brings anything to this team worth writing home about.

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

He doesn't have the talent around him in NY maybe the reason why his game has suffered so much. He gave up a total of 18 pressures the entire 17' season and he's already given up 21 this season.. simply pathetic and our line is clearly worse than last year so yeah I doubt he brings anything to this team worth writing home about.

I definitely wouldn't just jump to "surrounding talent".  The Giants line has some.  Solder is better than any Tackle we had on our roster even before Cam got injured.  They invested big in a guy like Hernandez in the draft, who i'm not a huge fan of...but should at least be serviceable or better.  They made their OLine a priority this last offseason, and it still amounted to nothing.

Part of it is also just Omameh's ridiculous contract they'd signed him too, and the compensatory pick formula...needing to cut him before the deadline to help their situation for that, considering it's obviously a lost season for them anyway.

But a huge part of OLine these days, is schematic and coaching specific too it seems.  It's become one of the bigger "system player" positions, with so many teams desperate for serviceable OLine play that they'll effectively tailor their whole scheme around certain types of players, trying to hide their liabilities.  Which appears to be what we did with Omameh in the first place...somehow hiding some of his deficiencies better than anyone else has ever managed to do.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But a huge part of OLine these days, is schematic and coaching specific too it seems. 

Tfw your head coach is an OL guy, and your OL has 3 of the bottom 5 pass blockers in football. 

Archived