Have the Redskins Found Their Answer at LG?

THESKINSFAN21

Jonathon Cooper...obviously talented,first round bust. Played well with the Cowboys and is an upgrade if nothing else from Lavauo. Cooley said he is the answer at left guard after his performance at Tampa. He's only 28 and albeit a small sample size, he played well for a guy who has been on a couch(his own words) since september. Lavauo would be a legit backup.The injury could be a blessing in disguise. 

17 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Jonathon Cooper...obviously talented,first round bust. Played well with the Cowboys and is an upgrade if nothing else from Lavauo. Cooley said he is the answer at left guard after his performance at Tampa. He's only 28 and albeit a small sample size, he played well for a guy who has been on a couch(his own words) since september. Lavauo would be a legit backup.The injury could be a blessing in disguise. 

The guys been cut what-like 5 times. I wouldn't crown him just yet. He must have flaws in his game . He's had his share of injuries too--broken leg, knee injuries, foot injuries. 

15 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I know. But look at someone like John Sullivan or anyone else on the Rams line. I'm just saying upgrade,not all pro. I agree it's only one game. But,you never know😁

Sullivan . He played 9 years for the team that drafted him before his back problems. Then bounced to us and the Rams . I can't see that comparison . 

14 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Ok well I like Cooper😛

I like Cooper too. I thought he was a real pain in our butts last year in Dallas. His health has been the main issue throughout his career so I definitely wouldn't call him the "answer" at LG but I do think we can keep him penciled in at starting LG until we do find the answer. I still think online depth all around needs to be a big, if not biggest, focus in our offseason. The way he dealt with those TB stunts with ease was very impressive for a guy who was on the street little over a week ago. 

4 minutes ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

JPP, Gerald McCoy, Vita Vea, Beau Allen. Not a Dline I'd scoff at. The Texans are out of this world though so it will be as good of a test as there is. 

Their defense is ranked 31st in DVOA.  But you're right that their DL is pretty good, though they have been dealing with injuries all year.

Let’s see how the rest of the year goes with Cooper. Regardless, I’m with Mknight, at this point LG is still one of our top needs. I’d say even if Copper continues to play well that we still need to take a mid round interior OL. He’ll need competition, so does Roullier and we need better depth in the interior OL. I don’t want to see Bergstrom re-signed after this year.

For now at least, I think he’s the answer. You’re never going to do much better than a guy with his talent level and experience as an early November street FA pickup. 

Long term? Not highly likely that he’s a several-year solution at the position, but I think the jury is still out on that to some extent. He was legitimately good in Dallas — and although Callahan isn’t there anymore, I think a lot of their line scheme has remained similar, so he might be a fit for us. Plus that was a scenario where he was playing as clearly the worst player on a very talented line, with help from smart and athletic players on both sides (and a RG who could shoulder a big load and allow them to slide everything left to help him when he needed it), which is similar to what we’ve got in place here. Obviously Roullier isn’t Travis Frederick, but I think it’s still mostly comparable.

It’s interesting that Cooley was so sold, though, because I believe I read that the PFF guys gave Cooper the lowest rating of his career for Sunday’s game. I think I trust Cooley’s take on the tape a little more than theirs (I’ve started to feel like they give way too much weight to big or noticeable plays), but I find it intriguing that two observers could watch the same game and reach such diometrically opposed conclusions on how a guy played. 

Also, I would love it if either Howard or Bowanko emerged and took that starting job at RG from Tony Bergstrom. 

Bergstrom is a useful guy to have on the roster because of his versatility, but he’s just not up to snuff as a full time player. I have a bad feeling he’s going to be very exposed with players like Watt and Cox and Dareus and Campbell and Casey and even David Irving on the schedule the rest of the way. 

Archived