Week 11: Houston Texans GDT

Ghostnote

58 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Based on the kick from 64? Looked pretty solid. Just WAY short.

If it was a 5% chance, it's better than the 0% that the kick there was gonna have. 

I agree, after having seen that kick, it probably would’ve been good from 52. 

But we didn’t know that at the time the decision was made. And if our thought process was “Hopkins is hurt, he probably can’t kick long,” then I don’t think we can treat a 52 yarder as much more than a long shot either. 

I understand your point, and I wouldn’t have revolted if they had tried to throw it. I could only find one substantially similar situation in the last 20ish years — DEN vs SD in 2004, Denver was down 3 and had it 4th and 10 on SD’s 46 yard line with 8 seconds left and no timeouts. They tried to throw it for the first down too, and they actually got the 10 yards but didn’t get out of bounds and the clock ran out. 

If Gruden knew there was a 0% chance that Hopkins could make the kick, then it was obviously dumb. But otherwise, I think we’re just choosing from bad/hopeless options. I honestly think McCoy might have had a better shot at completing a Hail Mary than a 12 yard out to the sidelines in that scenario. Rather hope for one miracle than two 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

53 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But we didn’t know that at the time the decision was made. And if our thought process was “Hopkins is hurt, he probably can’t kick long,” then I don’t think we can treat a 52 yarder as much more than a long shot either. 

I understand your point, and I wouldn’t have revolted if they had tried to throw it. I could only find one substantially similar situation in the last 20ish years — DEN vs SD in 2004, Denver was down 3 and had it 4th and 10 on SD’s 46 yard line with 8 seconds left and no timeouts. They tried to throw it for the first down too, and they actually got the 10 yards but didn’t get out of bounds and the clock ran out. 

If Gruden knew there was a 0% chance that Hopkins could make the kick, then it was obviously dumb. But otherwise, I think we’re just choosing from bad/hopeless options. I honestly think McCoy might have had a better shot at completing a Hail Mary than a 12 yard out to the sidelines in that scenario. Rather hope for one miracle than two 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

My man went back to 2004. Gruden is a player coach, so he asked Hopkins was he ok kicking from that long and Hopkins said yes. Once again I believe that was the right decision to make on 4 and 10. A Hail Mary or any other play with so little time with no TimeOuts is more likely to equal 0 percent than a field goal with a injured Kicker. Remember he only missed the FG by like 5-10 yards. Refs call  the PI on the Doctson play we win the game, because Hopkins makes that FG from the spot of the foul. 

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Either way it was a long shot. I wouldn’t  blame them if they had done either. What didn’t make sense is that McCoy went deep to Doctson instead of trying to hit something underneath for 5 to 10 yards - at the least - to get in better FG range.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Either way it was a long shot. I wouldn’t  blame them if they had done either. What didn’t make sense is that McCoy went deep to Doctson instead of trying to hit something underneath for 5 to 10 yards - at the least - to get in better FG range.

Yes, agreed there too. 

We did better then I expected in the game and come away feeling ok even after the loss.

REFS SUCKS.

The only thing about our team that disappointed me yesterday was coaching
1.Clock Managment is Terrible.
2.Simple gameplaning pre game woulda showed the Texans are weakest when running left,So 90% of the time we run up the gut or to the right at JJ watt.(Both AP TDs was going left where Clowney sucks at contain).
3.The FG attempt to end game is a joke to anyone paying attention to game when ball was going left on tv screen the Kickers was kicking it to the back of the endzone,when going Right the ball was landing in the 7-10 yard line on kickoffs.Kicking a 63 yarder into wind that stops the kicked from getting the ball into the endzone on a Kickoff is just stupid and never had shot.

4 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

We did better then I expected in the game and come away feeling ok even after the loss.

REFS SUCKS.

The only thing about our team that disappointed me yesterday was coaching
1.Clock Managment is Terrible.
2.Simple gameplaning pre game woulda showed the Texans are weakest when running left,So 90% of the time we run up the gut or to the right at JJ watt.(Both AP TDs was going left where Clowney sucks at contain).
3.The FG attempt to end game is a joke to anyone paying attention to game when ball was going left on tv screen the Kickers was kicking it to the back of the endzone,when going Right the ball was landing in the 7-10 yard line on kickoffs.Kicking a 63 yarder into wind that stops the kicked from getting the ball into the endzone on a Kickoff is just stupid and never had shot.

While the FG attempt was a long shot, it’s also a long shot that McCoy can throw it 60 yards into the end zone.

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

While the FG attempt was a long shot, it’s also a long shot that McCoy can throw it 60 yards into the end zone.

8 secs is enough time for a 10-15 out route try and get out of bounds,which I also understand is a long shot.
But going into the wind that just caused his kickoff earlier to hit a 8 and try a 63 yarder was never going to work.

3 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

8 secs is enough time for a 10-15 out route try and get out of bounds,which I also understand is a long shot.
But going into the wind that just caused his kickoff earlier to hit a 8 and try a 63 yarder was never going to work.

echo echo echo echo echo

exactly @ovfd55!

5 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don’t know, not with the Texans guarding the boundaries. Attempting a pass with 8 seconds left on the clock especially when you’re facing the Texans pass rush and were missing 3 starters is a huge risk. 

I could totally see Colt throwing a 5 to 10 yard out and then a CB jumping it ala Robert Alford in 2015 on Kirk for a pick 6.

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

The non-penalty on Josh was a killer under the 2 min mark. So were the interceptions and Davis dropping a T D pass. We still had a chance. One stinking timeout and we coulda won. On to Dallas ! 

And the 2, arguably 3 non-call PIs on Doctson. Each of them would’ve put us in the Redzone, one of them at the 1 yard line.

Archived