Week 11 non-Viking games

vike daddy

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Only if he retires after this contract. If the Vikings resign him for anything resembling top QB money at that time, we are screwed. The time to draft his heir apparent is now. Rookie contracts at QB are the way to go.  I'm in favor of taking a QB in the top two rounds every other year. 

I am curious then, how do you rebuild the offensive line?

13 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Only if he retires after this contract. If the Vikings resign him for anything resembling top QB money at that time, we are screwed. The time to draft his heir apparent is now. Rookie contracts at QB are the way to go.  I'm in favor of taking a QB in the top two rounds every other year. 

Maybe if someone falls into our lap but it'd be hard to justify drafting cousins replacement next and not doing everything to win while cousins is here.

Winning with a cheap qb might be one way to build a team butt they already decided to go with cousins so they are going to see it through

10 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am curious then, how do you rebuild the offensive line?

While Cousins is here, it will be tougher. 28 million will make it hard to sign and retain competent linemen, which is why I was against signing him in the first place. You don’t win championships with bloated QB contracts unless you’ve got an elite QB sucking up that money. You can’t go into year three of Cousins’ contract without a replacement ready to go. Because he isn’t worth what we’d have to pay to keep him. Which would further deplete resources to build the line. 

You can draft a QB in the first or 2nd and still draft linemen with other picks. Again, Cousins’ problems aren’t his OL, his problems deal with turnovers and bonehead decisions when the game is on the line. You don’t fix those with draft picks or free agent offensive linemen. 

5 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe if someone falls into our lap but it'd be hard to justify drafting cousins replacement next and not doing everything to win while cousins is here.

Winning with a cheap qb might be one way to build a team butt they already decided to go with cousins so they are going to see it through

And if you don’t have his replacement ready when that contract ends, you’re pressured into signing him again to another bloated deal. That creates the same problem with affording to keep talent around. Aside from that, you’re assuming that they don’t spend that high pick on another DB or some position other than OL. 

Cousins isnt Brady. He isn’t Rodgers. Heck, Brady has taken less money because he knows that monster QB contracts make it impossible to compete consistently. The team is talented enough to win now. But escalating Cousins’ salary sets them up for a purge. Then you’re stuck with a middling QB and less talent around him. 

Archived