2019 Free Agent Pool

DaBoys

Well, it is what it is boys. This thread is now more interesting than the 2019 draft prospects thread. We don't have our number one pick, and unless we are looking at having the exact same roster now as we do next year our best chance to improve it is going to be through $free agency$, damnit. 

I'd hate to think our only chance to improve is through our 2nd round pick, and we have money this year(which may be another reason why we felt comfortable trading our pick), so expect us to be major players in the over-pay shark tank.

From another thread:

"Well hopefully they sign DLaw.

Maybe TE Tyler Eifert, or Jesse James.

Grady Jarrett comes to mind. You know Rod loves him. What if they signed DLaw AND added another DE? I know we have RG and Taco, but the staff could admit defeat there and sign a vet like Brandon Graham, Cameron Wake or Trey Flowers. There are some big name pass rushers who's contracts are up and with a defensive line heavy draft some of them could hit the open market: Ziggy Ansah, Anthony Barr, Jadeveon Clowney. The Rams have Suh and Donte Fowler jr. to sign. One of them could hit the market. Then guys like Orakpo, Shane Ray, Dee Ford, Michael Johnson, or even Terrel Suggs. If Sean Lee is out they could sign Clay Matthews and use him to blitz idk

Some possible cap casualties:

TE Charles Clay

DE Robert Quinn

DT Marcell Dareus

DE Justin Houston"

"Not sure, I haven’t thought enough about contracts and the cap. But I’d prioritize re-signing D-Law, Cooper, Byron, Jaylon, and signing Earl. Let Dak play out his rookie contract, then see. Tender Zeke for his fifth season, and let him play that out, hopefully avoiding a holdout. Would be fine with a mid-level TE, but I think i’m More interested in drafting one.

If you told me we could still afford a major move after that, then I’m in."

-Nextyearfordaboyz

That FA list is quite uninspiring. I think its a little early to give up on Taco and RG. DL is notoriously slow to develop if it isnt a top 5-10ish guy. Took DLaw multiple years. Same with Brandon Graham. Im sure I could think of a bunch more if I tried. 

The only Def play we need, outside of resigning our own (Law/Irving) is Earl Thomas.

Offensively, OL depth and a TE. Maybe a slot if Beasely moves on.

Dallas free agents --

Demarcus Lawrence
Tavon Austin
Cole Beasley
David Irving
Cameron Fleming
Jamize Olawale
LP Ladouceur
Marcus Martin
Caraun Reid
Datone Jones
Damien Wilson
Rod Smith
Darian Thompson
Justin March-Lillard
Geoff Swaim
Daniel Ross

16 free agents and all of them are unrestricted. DLaw is going to cost $23-25m/yr. He is really the only must re-sign FA on the list. I can see a number of others moving on for the chance to start or more money elsewhere. 

Byron Jones should be a priority, but he may gamble on himself like DLaw for a bigger payday. Even if he doesn't, I doubt he signs for less than $12m/yr.  Then you know Amani Cooper is guaranteed to a hefty payday too at around $14m/yr. Jones and Cooper are wildcards as Dallas doesn't have to get something done, but it's probably in their best interest to do so asap.

That $60m in cap space could dwindle very quickly and that is just taking care of their own. I don't think a "splash" signing from outside the team is all that likely tbh, save for ET.

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

16 free agents and all of them are unrestricted. DLaw is going to cost $23-25m/yr. He is really the only must re-sign FA on the list. I can see a number of others moving on for the chance to start or more money elsewhere. 

Anything over $20m, I franchise ($21m) again and see if I can get my 1st rounder back. DLaw is great, but going off memory no team in NFL history has ever won a superbowl if their #2 and 3 players have cost 15% or greater of the salary cap. 

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Byron Jones should be a priority, but he may gamble on himself like DLaw for a bigger payday. Even if he doesn't, I doubt he signs for less than $12m/yr.  Then you know Amani Cooper is guaranteed to a hefty payday too at around $14m/yr. Jones and Cooper are wildcards as Dallas doesn't have to get something done, but it's probably in their best interest to do so asap.

CB Franchise tag is $15m and technically Jones is our CB#2. $10-12m would be decent, with the franchise being an option.

Cooper is already under contract for next year. 

14 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

That $60m in cap space could dwindle very quickly and that is just taking care of their own. I don't think a "splash" signing from outside the team is all that likely tbh, save for ET.

$60M can buy a lot of players. I forget which player, but I think it was K Mack that has an average annual salary of $25m ish and his cap hit this year is like $12m. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas free agents --

Demarcus Lawrence
Tavon Austin
Cole Beasley
David Irving
Cameron Fleming
Jamize Olawale
LP Ladouceur
Marcus Martin
Caraun Reid
Datone Jones
Damien Wilson
Rod Smith
Darian Thompson
Justin March-Lillard
Geoff Swaim
Daniel Ross

And there you have the problem with trading your first rounder. You are basically drafting Amari Cooper and signing him in Free agency the same year. 

I say we re-sign Lawrence to a "big-money" deal. Irving likely will be brought back on a cheap contract due to his off-the-field issues. From the list on the right, I think we bring back the Canadian, Fleming and Datone Jones. 

Cooper isn't a FA until 2020, so that gives us some time. I would think they'd look to lock up Byron before his value increases further. We also have two years on Dak/Zeke. 

I imagine heading into FA, Thomas is going to be our main target. Could see a couple other depth signings per our M.O. but given our own guys we're going to be looking at having to extend, I don't see us making any big splashes. 

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

And there you have the problem with trading your first rounder. You are basically drafting Amari Cooper and signing him in Free agency the same year. 

Without Cooper we would have been drafting top 10 though right? Those guys make in the ~$6-10m/yr range. So its only like a ~$3-5m difference.

Zeke came into the league as a top 3 paid RB at $8m a year, iirc, and that was 3 years ago.

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Anything over $20m, I franchise ($21m) again and see if I can get my 1st rounder back. DLaw is great, but going off memory no team in NFL history has ever won a superbowl if their #2 and 3 players have cost 15% or greater of the salary cap. 

- idk, makes me feel like we're the Raiders. Getting rid of good players puts us further away from the goal. I don't like it. Especially with they have the cap space. Obviously the return would be good, but being without a good pass rusher isn't the way to go. Haven't seen enough from RG, Taco, and Armstrong to make me feel comfortable letting him walk. 

CB Franchise tag is $15m and technically Jones is our CB#2. $10-12m would be decent, with the franchise being an option.

Cooper is already under contract for next year. 

- Jones has another year on contract as well, so Dallas doesn't have to do another with him either. But, like Cooper, I think it would probably be in their best interest to try and get something done before hand if at all possible. At least one of them anyway...which probably makes it Cooper given the trade. 

$60M can buy a lot of players. I forget which player, but I think it was K Mack that has an average annual salary of $25m ish and his cap hit this year is like $12m. 

- Dallas has a ton of future space, $125m in '21 and $150m in '22 iirc, so definitely have a bunch of flexibility.

Archived