2019 Free Agent Pool

DaBoys

7 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I know I’m in the minority on this one but I’d let DLaw walk at $20M+ a year.  I would like to keep David Irving who is just as talented and a whole lot cheaper because he’s crazy.  But we would still have a decent rotation at DE without DLaw.  We put Irving at LDE with Gregory at RDE and I dint see a huge drop off especially with the rotational guys behind them with Taco and Armstrong.  With that same $20M, we could upgrade 3 positions on the team.  Would I rather have DLaw or Irving + ET + upgrade at TE?  I’d rather have the 3 players.

It sounds great on paper but it'd be a big mistake on a lot of levels.

1. Every other DE we have on the roster right now besides Dlaw is a situational rusher. Some are better at run, some are better at pass rushing, and none have grown into an every down DE like D-law yet

2. Taking out Dlaw has the same impact to our DE position like taking a prime #1 WR out of our WR crops. We just lack a guy that poses a lot of threat just because of his presence. And all our other pass rushers will suffer greatly because of that.

3. Dlaw is just the heart of our defense right now to be honest. Lee is done

4. I'd love to bring ET in but not at the risk of losing Dlaw. What ET can offer is always a speculation because it is a new team, and I don't feel confident letting go of a proven player in our team and how he already fits with us for a Free-Agency player who could POTENTIALLY work out for us. It seems like a situation ideal for the draft but not when we are talking big time free agency money. Theres cap risk and bust risk. With the draft its just a bust risk by switching out a player.

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I would try a tag and trade before just letting him walk. We probably wont get our comp picks this year because we will sign other FAs to similar deals.

Secondly does David Irving even football anymore? If he's so valuable why can't he stay on the field? Well there's this reason and that reason and if we give him the time he'll come up with several more reasons. 

I pretty much agree. I definitely find the notion that we can find the notion that we can field a contender with him and Dak both on $20+M//year deals to be dubious. And given the choice between the two of them, I would fully expect our FO to choose Dak.

i would probably still tag Lawrence again though

13 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I know I’m in the minority on this one but I’d let DLaw walk at $20M+ a year.  I would like to keep David Irving who is just as talented and a whole lot cheaper because he’s crazy.  But we would still have a decent rotation at DE without DLaw.  We put Irving at LDE with Gregory at RDE and I dint see a huge drop off especially with the rotational guys behind them with Taco and Armstrong.  With that same $20M, we could upgrade 3 positions on the team.  Would I rather have DLaw or Irving + ET + upgrade at TE?  I’d rather have the 3 players.

I don’t think that’s crazy at all. It’s a reasonable position based on what we have. However, it’s a hard sell given the production. Yes, that money can indeed be used to add multiple players (preferably on offense, one of which at TE). But, are we confident that Taco Charlton and Randy Gregory can get the job done without Lawrence being on the field? If the answer is “yes”, then let him walk and concentrate on other areas.

8 hours ago, D82 said:

I think letting Lawrence walk would be a mistake.

7 hours ago, atran35 said:

DLAW stays. 

Yall probably thought the same about Ware (I did) and that turned out to be a mistake. Lawrence has more injury concern and less production than Ware. 

If you ignore FA for years and focus solely on building your team through the draft then you have to retain the drafted talent that hits. That's a part of building through the draft. If you don't even do that, what do you do? 

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If you ignore FA for years and focus solely on building your team through the draft then you have to retain the drafted talent that hits. That's a part of building through the draft. If you don't even do that, what do you do? 

Everything has a cost. Nothing is absolutes. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Schefter saying Jags will look into trading Ramsey this off season.

I'm iffy on that. I mean the team is essentially a better QB away from being a consistent contender IMO. Don't see a reason to give away one of your best defensive players.

Archived