The Kyler Fackrell Aplogy Thread

TheOnlyThing

19 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

No one on this board has been more critical of #51 than me.

Uh, I think I could make a case for myself.

He still isn't an every down edge player.  But my goodness, his off ball work at SAM (I did say he needed to play SAM fwiw) and his pass rush is nothing but shocking.  

The odds of a 27 year old player just blossoming out of nothing are terrible.  Props to Gute for seeing something and keeping him around.

Honestly, he could lessen the need to take 2 edge players early in the draft.  

15 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Uh, I think I could make a case for myself.

He still isn't an every down edge player.  But my goodness, his off ball work at SAM (I did say he needed to play SAM fwiw) and his pass rush is nothing but shocking.  

The odds of a 27 year old player just blossoming out of nothing are terrible.  Props to Gute for seeing something and keeping him around.

Honestly, he could lessen the need to take 2 edge players early in the draft.  

This would be a mistake in my opinion. Now if we get a decent one in free agency prior to draft, then maybe only need 1. 

Like @Toddfather I'm happy for the guy. Over time he'd put out some really bad tape and taken some well deserved criticism but he appears to be playing with new found confidence in his skills, assignment, power and speed. Good for him. Good for us. No downside.

Player development takes time and he's taken a path less traveled for sure - but if a combination of coaching, defensive scheme or simply field time at this level - has resulted in the light bulb going on over his head - good. 

I dont expect great things from him - but if he can maintain the steady production level he's at now - good.

How close is his locker to Sprigg's?

22 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Most didn't like him when he was drafted. The only two I know that actually wanted him on draft day were @CWood21 and myself, but I'm sure there were at least a few others. 

He was inside my Top 60 in that draft class and I took a tremendous amount of heat for where I had him ranked. 

That being said, I didn't necessarily expect him to blossom like this in his 3rd season. He's always had the ability, the biggest question was temperament. For awhile it seemed like he was the Trevor Davis of the defense (so maybe there's hope yet for Davis). 

I had him in the third.  That prediction won me 'guru' on another forum.  He always played so 'under control'.  When they hired Pettine I got excited again because he is the kind of guy Pettine likes to use.  He is not a starter, but he is a pretty damn solid reserve.  Happy for him.

Well I don't need to apologize.  Said the kid can bend and have liked him all along.  That being said his performance against Seattle wow.  He's having a good season for sure.  Career year.  Hope he can keep it up.  Still view him as a situational pass rusher.  Perry and Matthews both might be shown the door at the end of the season.  Doesn't change my draft outlook we still need 2 edge guys either in FA or the draft.  He just earned himself a nice payday.  He reminds me of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.  

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

No one on this board has been more critical of #51 than me.

To say his 2018 play is a "surprise" would be a vast, vast understatement because I never entertained the possibility that Fackrell would have 7 sacks (or more) through 16 games let alone through 10.

Somewhere Fackrell's biggest fan Donzo is hopefully smiling because he was right and I was very, very wrong.

Anyone else need to say something about Kyler?

I will die with him on my “Dead to Me” list. 

I think we figured out who benefitted most from the scheme change. Lots of coverage sacks aka hustle sacks (I’m giving a lot of credit here). We’ve seemed to have pulled the reigns back on our OLBs. We lead the league in sacks by different players.  Pettine has dialed up the pressure at the right times. The cover guys have been far superior. It’s been an up year at defense and Fackrell has done his job well. Kyler Fackrell in Dom’s defense stunk. Kyler Fackrell in Mike Pettine’s defense doesn’t because the entire play isn’t reliant on him to get to the QB with more than just hustle.

Archived