Jump to content
TheOnlyThing

The Kyler Fackrell Aplogy Thread

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, fattlipp said:

I was wrong, but extending him for 4/40 next season at age 28 scares the shut out of me.

Yeah, you don't pay situational players 10 million a year. He's not an every down guy. He has played pretty well when we've moved him inside a few snaps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see fackrell as someone who could develop into a utility guy if we added other stouter edge guys.  He and matthews actually make a nice interchangeable combo.  And fackrell doesn't whiff as often on tackles.  This defense's identity could be 2-3 bigs who push the pocket and 3-5 LB/S types who all can blitz and kind of cover.

 

Poor man's LVE, James Farrior?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fackrell was supposed to be a ridiculous athlete before he tore his ACL in his junior year? Maybe it's taken time for him to heal up and regain that mental edge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fackrell has definitely been a pleasant surprise.  I'm just hoping this is who he really is.  GB doesn't need Fackrell to be a dominant player, he just needs to be a legit role player.  This version of Fackrell could have a very nice career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would sign him up at the end of this year to a 3 extension for 12m or so. Not wait for another year of production and then be forced to pay over the odds ala Nick Perry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I would sign him up at the end of this year to a 3 extension for 12m or so. Not wait for another year of production and then be forced to pay over the odds ala Nick Perry.

Is that 12M per season, or 12M total?  To be honest, I don't really see where either number works.  12M per season is too much to commit at this point, and I can't imagine Fackrell agreeing to an extension at 4M/YR if he comes out of this season with double digit sacks.  Make it 8M/YR and maybe he thinks about it.  In all likelihood, both sides probably want to let 2019 play out some before committing to any kind of extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is that 12M per season, or 12M total?  To be honest, I don't really see where either number works.  12M per season is too much to commit at this point, and I can't imagine Fackrell agreeing to an extension at 4M/YR if he comes out of this season with double digit sacks.  Make it 8M/YR and maybe he thinks about it.  In all likelihood, both sides probably want to let 2019 play out some before committing to any kind of extension.

Count me on this side as well :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leader said:

Count me on this side as well :)

I think you have to see what happens in this upcoming off season before making a decision. Do we go and get an EDGE in free agency and one in the draft? Is Sackrell willing to take a 'reasonable' deal? What have they seen from Donnerson on the practice squad? 

If he puts up 10 this year and say, 8 next year he's going to get overpaid in a big way. 3 for 12 is not unreasonable if there isn't much guaranteed money, even 3 for 15. Even if he flops you can get rid of him without too much of a cap hit or dead money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is way premature to talk extension on Fackrell.  He has had a couple of good games against lower tier players.

He is useful depth until he starts beating better pass protection units.  His big skill right now is his versatility and motor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think you have to see what happens in this upcoming off season before making a decision. Do we go and get an EDGE in free agency and one in the draft? Is Sackrell willing to take a 'reasonable' deal? What have they seen from Donnerson on the practice squad? 

If he puts up 10 this year and say, 8 next year he's going to get overpaid in a big way. 3 for 12 is not unreasonable if there isn't much guaranteed money, even 3 for 15. Even if he flops you can get rid of him without too much of a cap hit or dead money. 

Fackrell has literally zero reason to sign a deal during this offseason. 

Double digit (or even high single digit) pass rushers are basically worth their weight in gold in today's NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Fackrell has literally zero reason to sign a deal during this offseason. 

Double digit (or even high single digit) pass rushers are basically worth their weight in gold in today's NFL. 

He's 27 and not that good. This reminds me of that defensive lineman we had back in the Holmgren era, Williams. I don't remember his first name. He had 8 sacks as a DT in his contract year. Most were coverage sacks with the QB stepping up in the pocket. He got paid big time for the era. 

Sackrell could just as easily go back to 1 or ZERO sacks next year. You have to figure we are going to get some EDGE players next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason he would sign a contract this offseason is, does he want to back himself with an unknown 2019, where there might be coaching change, where he might go back to being the bust he was for the past few years etc. Or does he take a deal now? It is the same thing Jordy did, he signed a very reasonable extension after three years of play.

I personally prefer a strategy to reward a player sooner who is showing signs of uptrend rather than wait for their contract to run down and they then have complete leverage. For a player who is average or with potential, I would as an organisation prefer to do a modest deal early rather than an expensive deal late. Hence the reference to Nick Perry, if Green Bay had signed him to a reasonable three year contract or so after the 2015 season, rather than the 1 year 5m, they wouldn't have got bent over when he had his really good 2016 season.

Fackrell is currently on a 4 year $3.1m contract, and he has just experienced the best stretch of games of his career prior to which is you had offered him an extension worth in excess of $10m total (not per season) he would have bitten your hand off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any world where it makes sense for Fackrell to sign anything close to a 3YR/12M deal this off season.

Jordy's 2nd contract was a 3YR/15M (including incentives) extension signed in early Oct-2011.  Prior to signing that deal, Jordy's "breakout" season was his 3rd season, where he posted 45/582/2.  From a market value standpoint, those numbers are not close to what Fackrell has already posted this season in 10 games, and we are all aware that the salary cap has risen dramatically since Jordy signed that deal.  I can't imagine a less relevant point than what Fackrell might have accepted as an extension prior to this season.  His outlook going fwd has changed completely since the season began, which is why this thread was created in the first place.  Fackrell is going to do what Perry did, what Cobb did, and what Adams did.  He is going to play out his deal, and make the Packers pay him market value.  If GB doesn't feel like Fackrell is worth that price, Fackrell will be playing somewhere else in 2020.  That's not saying anything bad about Fackell or GB.  It's exactly what both sides should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't see any world where it makes sense for Fackrell to sign anything close to a 3YR/12M deal this off season.

Jordy's 2nd contract was a 3YR/15M (including incentives) extension signed in early Oct-2011.  Prior to signing that deal, Jordy's "breakout" season was his 3rd season, where he posted 45/582/2.  From a market value standpoint, those numbers are not close to what Fackrell has already posted this season in 10 games, and we are all aware that the salary cap has risen dramatically since Jordy signed that deal.  I can't imagine a less relevant point than what Fackrell might have accepted as an extension prior to this season.  His outlook going fwd has changed completely since the season began, which is why this thread was created in the first place.  Fackrell is going to do what Perry did, what Cobb did, and what Adams did.  He is going to play out his deal, and make the Packers pay him market value.  If GB doesn't feel like Fackrell is worth that price, Fackrell will be playing somewhere else in 2020.  That's not saying anything bad about Fackell or GB.  It's exactly what both sides should do.

If we lose Fackrell to FA, we can declare the OLB corps a legitimate disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In truth, I more or less agree with the "Fackrell is nothing special" camp on this.  Paying him a lot of money scares the crap out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×