3-4 Defense

Lil' Shorty

The idea of a switch has been thrown around and I’d agree that this is a direction we should go. Not just to try something new or to try and get an advantage schematically vs our division, but because I think it’s much easier to find a dominate RUSH LB over a dominant 4-3 DE. Ultimately we need more pass rush and variety on defense and I think this is how we get it.

We already have some pieces and some long standing vets who probably wouldn’t fit, namely McCoy and Kwon, will probably be gone this off-season anyway.

What are your thoughts? Who plays where in the 3-4 alignment and who do we need to sign in free agency or draft to bring defense back to Tampa?

Yes. I think all Buc fans would love to see the dominant 4-3 Tampa 2 defense make a comeback from the glory days, but it's just not happening. If we're lucky enough to land Harbaugh then it's definitely happening. It's a good point about it being hard finding good 4-3 DE's. We can instead load up on linebackers. Hard to tell how the D-line we have now would transition to the 3-4 ends, but, I'm confident it wouldn't be much worse.

McCoy ain’t coming back. 

It’s going to be a Beau Allen at Lde. Vea in the middle and a newbie on the right. Maybe will gholston? 

Jpp LEft OLB and Markus Golden in FA and then draft some guys to develop. 

Beckwith would be a perfect fit inside with Lavonte but beckwith needs to be healthy. 

Just now, REDandPEWTER said:

McCoy ain’t coming back. 

It’s going to be a Beau Allen at Lde. Vea in the middle and a newbie on the right. Maybe will gholston? 

Jpp LEft OLB and Markus Golden in FA and then draft some guys to develop. 

Beckwith would be a perfect fit inside with Lavonte but beckwith needs to be healthy. 

Gholston would probably be pretty good as a 3/4 DE. But is he gonna be good enough to warrant his contract? We might be able to get the same production from someone cheaper.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Gholston would probably be pretty good as a 3/4 DE. But is he gonna be good enough to warrant his contract? We might be able to get the same production from someone cheaper.

I haven’t checked the FA but I’d agree. But most of the salaries are falling off so maybe one more year at 6-7 million won’t hurt. 

Like @Caaddy24 said let’s load up on LBs. Vea should hold the point of attack and maybe generate some pass rush. JPP may be a little out of position as a DE there but I think he’d work out fine as well.

As @ravishingone illuded to, coordinator is key, with any situation. But if we get a good one, I think we’ll have a better shot at a good defense with finding some solid LBs.

9 minutes ago, indifference said:

Hiring Vic Fangio.

We need to find a rush OLB in the first round. I dont think David is a good fit in a 34 but he is a good football player. I’d HIGHLY suggesting we approach McCoy about taking a paycut or trade him.

It might be pretty hard to pry him from Chicago. A head coaching gig is probably the only way he leaves.

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It might be pretty hard to pry him from Chicago. A head coaching gig is probably the only way he leaves.

I want him to be the head coach. He’s been a quality DC since Harbaugh was with the Niners. Promote him as DC and let him decide what to do with Monken.

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not exactly a 3-4 question but it is defense related and didn't want to start a new thread:

How has Carlton Davis been for you guys? Figured we wouldn't take him but loved to watch him play at Auburn

He's been up and down. He's made some really nice plays on the ball. He's also looked confused about our coverages. But that's been everyone.

More than once he's anticipated what the QB is gonna do and left his zone to make a play on the ball. He looks better when he plays physically at the LOS but a lot of our defense has been soft zone until a few weeks ago.

He's probably been our best CB this year.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's been up and down. He's made some really nice plays on the ball. He's also looked confused about our coverages. But that's been everyone.

More than once he's anticipated what the QB is gonna do and left his zone to make a play on the ball. He looks better when he plays physically at the LOS but a lot of our defense has been soft zone until a few weeks ago.

He's probably been our best CB this year.

Agree with this. He’s had his rookie oops moments but he’s shown promise to build off of. 

Archived