You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Are you saying Philly winning the Super Bowl last season is worse that KC and Andy Reid not winning in the duration of time he has been in KC?  That seems an odd stance to take

As usual, you are being deliberately obtuse.

Moving on to Chip Kelly was disaster.  The fact that the disaster eventually allowed them to draft Carson Wentz, buy a new roster and get a super bowl doesn't undermine the point that the team went from a guy who will likely be a hall of fame coach to a guy who was not the offensive genius that he was billed as.

So, getting back to the original question, it sounds to me like you are trying to argue that Andy Reid was exposed as a bad coach in KC?  I think you are wrong on that one.

19 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Grew up in the Philly area during the Reid/McNabb years. This city loves Andy and everything he did for the franchise, but there's no doubting that it was time to move on. Yes the subsequent hire didn't pan out, but I still think they made the right move with Andy. Things had gone stale, the city had lost a lot of hope. Honestly, that's exactly the point I'm at with MM. He's a good coach, but he and the Packers both need a reboot. I said this last year too - I kind of feel like John Harbaugh is in the same boat in Baltimore. Both quality, SB winning coaches who need a change of scenery. 

And I don't disagree with this.

I disagree with the notion put forth by some that McCarthy is a bad coach that will be exposed elsewhere.  If he has a GM that gives him talent, he will be successful.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

One thing to consider...sometimes a change of scenery is needed. Rejuvinates guys. Makes them hungry. Insert Reid cheesesteak/bbq joke.

I agree with this.  As I said earlier today, I believe the decision to move on from McCarthy was made last year.  They kept him this year to direct a rebuilding year so a new coach wouldn't have to take the heat for under performing.

I just don't think he is a bad coach.  I think he has been stuck with a roster that has been degrading for years, and now we have talented but inexperienced players who are inconsistent due to inexperience.

I don't understand the bitterness toward McCarthy given what he has done for the team in the last 13 years.  Rational fans can admit the success and still feel the need to move on.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

as usual for this board- you miss the point.

Point is, Philadelphia made the same assessment that fans in Green Bay are making now.  They kicked Reid to the curb and ended up with the disaster of hiring the offensive genius Chip Kelly.

Reid went on to show that he is indeed a top coach.  Chip Kelly, not so much.

Sometimes fans should be careful what they wish for.

This is a bad example.  Philly let Reid go because he wasn't going to do any better IN Philly.  They made a mistake and hired the wrong coach.  But guess what? Now they hired the right coach and they won the damn Super Bowl.  Has Andy Reid won anything yet?  No.  

To keep MM and think anything is going to change is fantasy land.  To keep MM because you're afraid we might go down a little is just cowardly.  It is time for him to go.  It isn't because he is suddenly a bad coach.  It's more because he is NOT going to improve things in Green Bay.  To quote Keven Greene, "now is the time".

I don't know who they are going to get, but this was all set up in case Gute wanted to hire his own guy.  Well, MM didn't produce in his probationary year. You can use any excuses you want, the fact is he has not proven that he can overcome the same issues he's struggled with for the last few years.  It is time for our new GM to go ahead and hire his guy.  It happens more frequently than not when teams get new GMs.

I am Gute!

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This is a bad example.  Philly let Reid go because he wasn't going to do any better IN Philly.  They made a mistake and hired the wrong coach.  But guess what? Now they hired the right coach and they won the damn Super Bowl.  Has Andy Reid won anything yet?  No.  

To keep MM and think anything is going to change is fantasy land.  To keep MM because you're afraid we might go down a little is just cowardly.  It is time for him to go.  It isn't because he is suddenly a bad coach.  It's more because he is NOT going to improve things in Green Bay.  To quote Keven Greene, "now is the time".

I don't know who they are going to get, but this was all set up in case Gute wanted to hire his own guy.  Well, MM didn't produce in his probationary year. You can use any excuses you want, the fact is he has not proven that he can overcome the same issues he's struggled with for the last few years.  It is time for our new GM to go ahead and hire his guy.  It happens more frequently than not when teams get new GMs.

I am Gute!

If you take the time to read the thread, you will realize that most of what you just wrote does not accurately reflect my position.

The origin of the post you quoted is the notion that McCarthy will be exposed as a bad coach if hired else where.  I simply disagree with that notion.  McCarthy is not a bad coach, he has just run his course here.  

It can be the correct move to move on, and we still end up with worse.  That doesn't mean not to move on, but I think there is an unspoken assumption from some that simply getting a new coach will make things better.  I think that is naive.  

6 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If you take the time to read the thread, you will realize that most of what you just wrote does not accurately reflect my position.

The origin of the post you quoted is the notion that McCarthy will be exposed as a bad coach if hired else where.  I simply disagree with that notion.  McCarthy is not a bad coach, he has just run his course here.  

I don't think it's my responsibility to check the history of the notion of your posts. My post stands alone and if you read that one post you'd realize that I agree with the bolded part.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Your argument is that because he won a Super Bowl before he's more likely to win a Super Bowl, which is fundamentally a semi-broken concept.  Yes, there's a marginally better chance you're going to win a second Super Bowl because you're playing with similar players.  But when you're talking about a significant gap in between years winning a Super Bowl, that likelihood goes out the window.  It's been 8 years since he has won a Super Bowl, and the only other HC who went that far between HC is Brian Bilichick.  The average years between Super Bowl wins has been less than 3 years.  So either you think he's as good as Bilichick or you think he's bunking about several decades of history.  Which is it?

You have absolutely nothing to back any of this up.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

OK.  THanks for letting me know. 

16 of 29 coaches that have a career regular season win % above .575 with 5 or more years coaching have won superbowls.

I guess that number off the top of my head while in the middle of a 3hr drive holds water :)

16/29 seems about right.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Most talented roster since 2014 to me. Clearly talent enough to win more than 4 out of 10 games.

I was thinking the same thing today.  This team has the most pure talent since 2014, yet the results are nowhere near the same.  

Archived