You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Just now, Norse65 said:

Any head coach worth his salt will want his own staff.  Don't count on any coaches returning. He may retain some, or Murphy and Gutekunst might try to stick him with Pettine or whoever else. A candidate that we would want here will want his people.

Yep, and that's the only reason I would get optimistic about a new head coach.  I feel like this defense is better suited as a 4-3 defense.  We currently have a top 10 group of linebackers for a 4-3 defense and they're playing a 3-4.  Matthews/Martinez/Fackrell look a lot better as 4-3 LBs than 3-4 LBs, and Perry I think gets a boost as a 4-3 DE. 

I also think McCarthy sucks at coaching staff building. 

If we fire McCarthy, I'm excited about our chances for Rodgers to get his Sunset Ring.
If we keep McCarthy, I'm excited about our chances at getting two more rings with Rodgers. 

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thanks for the lecture. I'll add it to my collection of math literature I have filling my shelves already, but perhaps you meant to direct this ast cwood? He is the one struggling to grasp the probability argument (that he brought up).

If you went back to read the key word you purposely didn't bold the first time, or look back to the second time, you'd understand I'm not making any assertion whatsoever quantifying the odds MM wins another SB.

I put forth a qualitative point backed by historical trends. Perhaps that wasn't clear, not sure.

Sorry for the confusion. As for the math "lecture" I'm not called Fussnputz for nothing! LOL. 

What do you think of the causal factors I listed?

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I was the site drunk for suggesting we trade Rodgers.  I was the site idiot for suggesting we wait a year to re-sign him.

Although I still believe it was the right decision to trade him and get a massive haul of picks and take that risk over a dwindling Rodgers for the next five years, anybody who thinks I was an idiot for demanding that we wait to re-sign him looks really, really, really foolish now. 

Had we waited until after this year when Rodgers made multiple errors and didn't play all that well at all in a lot of games, we wouldn't be paying him as much as we're paying him now. 

I know. I remember. But, like golf, we have to play the ball where it lies, and right now that means a long term, expensive commitment to Rodgers. 

In my mind, there are two general possibilities.

1) Over the past few years, Rodgers has been executing the offense as designed, but the recent offenses have not been as effective as Mac's early years, and Mac has not been able to get things back on track.

2) Over the past few years, Rodgers has not been executing the offense as designed, so the recent offenses have not been as effective as Mac's early years, and Mac has not been able to get things back on track.

I am not seeing Mac's value anymore.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In my mind, there are two general possibilities.

1) Over the past few years, Rodgers has been executing the offense as designed, but the recent offenses have not been as effective as Mac's early years, and Mac has not been able to get things back on track.

2) Over the past few years, Rodgers has not been executing the offense as designed, so the recent offenses have not been as effective as Mac's early years, and Mac has not been able to get things back on track.

I am not seeing Mac's value anymore.

That really ignore's the question, right?  It isn't about whether MM should go, it is about what is in store for the new coach.  That is why the thread is "who replaces McCarthy".

So If you want to quote my post, then answer the question it asked- Packer Raymond stated Bruce Ariens wouldn't tolerate a bad attitude by Rodgers and the question  i raised is what do you do about it if Rodgers attitude is not adequate.

It has been obvious for some time that the team will move on- I don't get why every post has to be about why McCarthy is a problem in a thread about who should replace him.

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

That really ignore's the question, right?  It isn't about whether MM should go, it is about what is in store for the new coach.  That is why the thread is "who replaces McCarthy".

So If you want to quote my post, then answer the question it asked- Packer Raymond stated Bruce Ariens wouldn't tolerate a bad attitude by Rodgers and the question  i raised is what do you do about it if Rodgers attitude is not adequate.

It has been obvious for some time that the team will move on- I don't get why every post has to be about why McCarthy is a problem in a thread about who should replace him.

I wasn't attempting to answer anyone's question.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I really wonder if the reduction in padded practices has increased the number of injuries we see.  The contact drills don't need to be fierce but you perform like you rehearse.  I'm not positive but if their bodies aren't accustomed to contact this might be one of the reasons why injuries are up league wide.

Your wonder is my fact. Two years ago I was wondering how long it would take coaches and personnel people to get fed up that injuries were increasing in spite of controls on practices. Thankfully some are opening their eyes to why it's necessary to practice like you play. There is an growing collection of organizations that sees the science in preparing the body for games by exposing it to physical contact. And then there are the teams starting to say, "If we're going to pile up injuries anyway, we may a well hit in practice to become a more physical football team." That's a start too. The University of Alabama under Nick Saban practices so hard that a good number of their games are easier than practice. Eddie Lacy was shocked at how easy practices under Mike McCarthy were compared to his practices at Alabama. Now of the two, which team would you characterize as physical on the field? NFL people look at Alabama see their success, see how hard they practice, see that their injuries don't stop them from winning, and think maybe we've gone the wrong direction in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I would have traded Rodgers before he signed the contract extension, but there's no way we can trade him now.  This is why I didn't want us to extend him until after the season, and that was a really, really, really stupid move to do when he had two years left on his deal and he hasn't been playing like 2014 Rodgers since 2014. 

He has a 100+ QBR and a 20:1 TD/INT ratio. He's not the best QB in the league, but let's not act like we can't win it all with the Rodgers we have. Mac needs to get us balanced and start calling some simple 3 step 3rd down calls. Don't want Rodgers playing homerun ball in 3rd down? Call 4 slants. Run hitches from the slots and speed outs from X and Z, or give the ball to Jones on 3rd and 2. Realize the hand you've been dealt this year. 

I still have no regrets we locked up a once in a generation QB for his entire career.

MaCarthy never adjusted to the new practice rules the league adopted. His famous qb camp is done because of the rules and he hasn't found a way to get rookies up to speed. Saints, steelers, 49ers all have adapted and changed for the better. I would love to get pete carmicheal, and bring alex van pelt back as passing coordinator and pettine as asst. Head coach & full dc controls.

3 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

MaCarthy never adjusted to the new practice rules the league adopted. His famous qb camp is done because of the rules and he hasn't found a way to get rookies up to speed. Saints, steelers, 49ers all have adapted and changed for the better. I would love to get pete carmicheal, and bring alex van pelt back as passing coordinator and pettine as asst. Head coach & full dc controls.

And bring Jordy Nelson back after he retires as the wr coach. 

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He has a 100+ QBR and a 20:1 TD/INT ratio. He's not the best QB in the league, but let's not act like we can't win it all with the Rodgers we have. Mac needs to get us balanced and start calling some simple 3 step 3rd down calls. Don't want Rodgers playing homerun ball in 3rd down? Call 4 slants. Run hitches from the slots and speed outs from X and Z, or give the ball to Jones on 3rd and 2. Realize the hand you've been dealt this year. 

I still have no regrets we locked up a once in a generation QB for his entire career.

I don't have any regrets either.  I really believe a new HC can breathe life into this offense if we get the right guy.  I just don't see things getting any better if we stay the course.  Rodgers isn't getting any younger either.

Archived