You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Does anyone here know what MM's Game prep is like compared to other coaches? What I mean by this is the practice regimen he puts into effect, is it comparable to what other coaches are doing? I know MM chooses to have his last practice on Saturdays, and have heard numerous times Leroy Butler questioning this. While the contact game of Football will always have injuries, I wonder what the injury rate for MM teams are compared to others. It just seems like the Packers consistently have soft tissue injuries. Is it just because the game of football is so physically demanding? Or is MM hurting this team by not preparing them correctly? Is he doing things that same way now, as he did when we were competing for SBs? I really am not sure where to look this info up or even if it matters. It just seems like the issues with MM go beyond the typical X's & O's. This team does not seem prepared as well as they could, and it is really highlighted on road games. Mental Mistakes, repeated injuries, multiple draft picks not developing. I see lots of comments about how this team lacks talent from multiple blown drafts by Ted. I do agree to a point with this, but is MM's staff developing these players as well as he could be? I am not saying he is, or isn't. I have just noticed these things and am beginning to wonder if this goes beyond scheme and talent. Is MM no longer able to create an elite training plan that keeps the players as healthy and productive as possible?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Did you watch the interview with Ted after he got elected to the Packer HOF? He's not well man. Literally just about anyone, sans you, can see it. There weren't many larger Ted supporters on here than me. 

Thompson has been like that literally since the day he took over.  I'd like to see a video where Thompson looks socially aware of anything or capable of speaking like a normal human. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Did you watch the interview with Ted after he got elected to the Packer HOF? He's not well man. Literally just about anyone, sans you, can see it. There weren't many larger Ted supporters on here than me. 

Are you referring to the interview he gave to Larry McCarren (sp?).

I'd not seen it previously but looked it up following your post - and to my eye, it looks like more of (the same) Ted.

I cant say how he spoke years ago - but all I can remember is this slow....borderline, but not quite....slurring....speech pattern - that he again evidenced in that interview.

Is that the interview you're referring to?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His role is to write scouting reports and give Gute advice if he asks for it. I fail to see your point? He's not fit to be the head decision maker and FO liason to the fans/media. However he's not dead, he can scout players and talk. Hell we don't even know if his is still with the team. His role was extremely minimal compared to being a GM. 

Now you're trying to dodge your earlier statement.

You claimed he is mentally unwell.

Do you think the Packers knowingly kept a mentally unwell TT on staff?

I don't understand how people are still fighting for McCarthy to be retained.  He's fallen off a cliff the past few years.  His decisions making is all over the place .. his offense has no identity.  He spouts off about how the numbers say to punt when they really say to go for it.  He's a mess!  QB's don't progress with him .. they get worse.  He failed with Brett Hundley while at the same time telling us how successful of an NFL head coach he is.  He's stubborn!  He doesn't find creative ways to utilize his talent.  He was way slow in getting Aaron Jones heavily involved.  Our special teams are always terrible .. our players are always dropping like flies.  The head coach  and star QB aren't on the same page.  He's swapping out OC's on a regular basis, but retains his DC and ST coordinators for several years too long.  We're heading for a second straight losing record and another season without the playoffs.  He's well past his shelf life as the Packers head coach.  

Is it all his fault ... no, but when is it really all the head coaches fault?  Thompson did him dirty these past few years, but Rodgers masked a lot of the problems and kept the team at playoff level.  Now the QB tails off a bit from his MVP level and the head coach is not there to pick him up.  Time for a change.  Thompson was ousted last year .. McCarthy gets ousted this year.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Now you're trying to dodge your earlier statement.

You claimed he is mentally unwell.

Do you think the Packers knowingly kept a mentally unwell TT on staff?

There's a huge difference between mentally well enough to be a GM and mentally well enough to be an advisor. Do I believe they know he's showing mental signs of his age? Absolutely. That's why they made the move to begin with. 

My grandfather passed on the family business to my father and stayed on in a lesser role for many years before retirement. Don't understand what's hard for you to grasp. The mental state and the toll it takes being an on call, 24/7/365 head of player personnel, is vastly different than being a guy who shows up and does some scouting and goes home when he needs to.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what the Packers did.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't understand how people are still fighting for McCarthy to be retained.  He's fallen off a cliff the past few years.  His decisions making is all over the place .. his offense has no identity.  He spouts off about how the numbers say to punt when they really say to go for it.  He's a mess!  QB's don't progress with him .. they get worse.  He failed with Brett Hundley while at the same time telling us how successful of an NFL head coach he is.  He's stubborn!  He doesn't find creative ways to utilize his talent.  He was way slow in getting Aaron Jones heavily involved.  Our special teams are always terrible .. our players are always dropping like flies.  The head coach  and star QB aren't on the same page.  He's swapping out OC's on a regular basis, but retains his DC and ST coordinators for several years too long.  We're heading for a second straight losing record and another season without the playoffs.  He's well past his shelf life as the Packers head coach.  

Is it all his fault ... no, but when is it really all the head coaches fault?  Thompson did him dirty these past few years, but Rodgers masked a lot of the problems and kept the team at playoff level.  Now the QB tails off a bit from his MVP level and the head coach is not there to pick him up.  Time for a change.  Thompson was ousted last year .. McCarthy gets ousted this year.

Any knowledgable packer fan is suffering from McCarthy fatigue. He seems like a solid citizen, but he's simply burnt through any benefit of the doubt at this juncture. The mystique really died after the Seattle game years ago. It's an emperor with no clothes situation that has only worsened. 

I believe the rumors about TT's failing health. Way too many reports not to believe them. I also believe that they are keeping him around to keep his mind as busy as possible and to keep an eye on him because of his lack of immediate family. I have no proof of anything

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's a huge difference between mentally well enough to be a GM and mentally well enough to be an advisor. Do I believe they know he's showing mental signs of his age? Absolutely. That's why they made the move to begin with. 

My grandfather passed on the family business to my father and stayed on in a lesser role for many years before retirement. Don't understand what's hard for you to grasp. The mental state and the toll it takes being an on call, 24/7/365 head of player personnel, is vastly different than being a guy who shows up and does some scouting and goes home when he needs to.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what the Packers did.

I'm a pretty sharp guy. There's nothing you've said that I'm not capable of 'grasping'.

What I haven't seen, in all of this descriptive text, however, is whether or not you think GB kept a mentally "unwell" TT on staff or not.

You are trying to be slippery and modify your original statement to "showing signs of his age" while simultaneously placing the blame on me that I can't "grasp" something.

Shame shame.

Keep being slippery if you want, but the sharp readers here know what you're doing.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't understand how people are still fighting for McCarthy to be retained.  

Thompson did him dirty these past few years

Regarding your first point, there are folks who truly believe Mac is as good a head coach as Rodgers is a QB, that he is something special.

If you believed that, would you not fight to retain him?

As for your second point, yes Mac was done dirty by the previous GM and I have a feeling we are going to here more about that dynamic as Mac's tenure comes to an end.

Mac has always kept his frustrations, whether about players (including Rodgers) or management pretty close to the vest, but if he is going to be seeking another NFL head coaching gig we might start seeing some stories leaking out about the managerial dysfunction that contributed greatly to the team's failures over the past few seasons.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I'm a pretty sharp guy. There's nothing you've said that I'm not capable of 'grasping'.

What I haven't seen, in all of this descriptive text, however, is whether or not you think GB kept a mentally "unwell" TT on staff or not.

You are trying to be slippery and modify your original statement to "showing signs of his age" while simultaneously placing the blame on me that I can't "grasp" something.

Shame shame.

Keep being slippery if you want, but the sharp readers here know what you're doing.

I think the dude was slowing down for sure ... he had some sort of surgery and was slow to recover.  He had to cut way back on his scouting trips and handed over some of his duties to underlings.  I don't know about the mentally unwell part, but it seemed to me in his last few press conferences that he was not quite the same guy he was five or six years ago.  He was always pretty bad in front of a mic, but it seemed to be getting worse in last few pressers before getting canned.  If he was ready for the old folks home they probably wouldn't have kept him on ... figure they probably feel he is useful in writing up some scouting reports or whatever it is that he currently does.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Shame shame.

So your big hold up is that I used the word "unwell" in regards to how I thought Ted looked in a recent interview? 

You act like that word means that instead of a hospital bed, the Packers decided to give him a job in their FO. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

In comparison to the man that got the job in 2005, Ted's mental state is not well. I'm sure he can look at a tape and point out what makes a certain player special, or provide advice when called upon, but it's clear to me, as it was to Murphy and Mac, he's not mentally fit to head up a football organization anymore. Also the rigorous requirements of that job probably expedite the process of deterioration, so props to them for transitioning when they did.

If I take a few of the rumors and connect the dots, it goes something like this. 

TT's health was failing. Some other long time scouts noticed the same thing on some scouting trips (shuffling feet instead of walking, slurred speech, confusion etc). It's a slow process, and no doubt a very delicate and difficult situation. Some say a good part of his duties were delegated in his final years. Some of those duties went to Russ Ball who made some bad decisions. When Ball's name was thrown in the hat for the new GM, MM said no effin way. Some say Rodgers did the same. I'm guessing Ball was even more stingy than TT and had zero eye for talent or team building. That's when you heard MM uncharacteristically come out publicly about finding talent via all avenues, something he knew Ball wasn't going to do. In an effort to keep everything from falling apart, Murphy gave the job to Gute, with the narrative that an open communication about the team would involve MM as well on a regular basis. That's when we first heard of the 'silos.' I think the team is taking care of TT and keeping his mind as active as possible, because it's a first class organization, and he really has nowhere else to go

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So your big hold up is that I used the word "unwell" in regards to how I thought Ted looked in a recent interview? 

Absolutely. We all know the negative connotation implied (hell, directly stated) by this. Stop pretending you don't.

The mouth-breathers around here have been calling TT various forms of mental-illness inflicted for years. You are essentially trying to assert the same.

Archived