Could Patricia/Wilks be one and done coaches?

Elky

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

We’ve seen all time great coaches struggle early on (Belichick was 5-11 year one with the Pats, Landry went 6 years without a winning record in Dallas... for the record both coaches went on to have the two longest strings of consecutive winning seasons)

Yeah but I feel like if a coach shows early on they need to go it's going to show itself in a lot of ways that don't only reflect on the record sheet.  I definitely think usually coaches need a 2-3 year grace period, but there have been coaches who from the start look entirely overwhelmed or just a bad fit.

8 hours ago, Elky said:

Players aren't big on him and has gotten too testy with the media.

I love MattPatt as much as any other NE fan, but you simply can't do that with the spotlight on you now.

To be quite honest if these pod pulling sissies are upset cause they had to practice outside in the snow then GTFO. I don’t care who it is. 

The fact of the matter is that the Lions went from one extreme to the next. Under Schwartz a good chunk of the team were thugs and they played like it. The results were definitely mixed but they had a LOT of talent on the team at that time but consistently under achieved because of a severe lack of discipline. 

Then in walks Caldwell and his many shades of emotion and they played like that too. Often times they were very very flat and it took some miraculous plays from Stafford, great kicks by prater or late game heroics from slay for them to pull out wins. However, when their backs were against the wall against good teams or in the playoffs they just simply didn’t have enough. 

The fact that a player would come out and say some bull**** like that because it was a little cold tells me everything I need to know about this team and IMO someone like Patricia is exactly what they need. Don’t get me wrong, I love slay and think he’s a fantastic player but I hope he got his *** chewed out for those comments and he better get back in line. 

These dudes are paid MILLIONS to play this game. MILLIONS. Hell if I could play football professionally for 100k I’d be all over it. I’d practice in snow, sleet, hail etc etc. if the players want to be pampered crybabies they can take their *** elsewhere. 

I'm not a fan of getting rid of any head coach after one season unless they prove utterly incapable of being a competent head coach... but is there any good reason to think it's going to work out with Patricia?  The tough coach act seems really forced with him, almost Schiano-esque.  

At least the Lions have Stafford, otherwise the rest of the team is in no better position than teams like the Giants (if not worse).  I'm not sold Patricia is the coach to turn it around.  

12 hours ago, Malik said:

Why would Patricia be fired after 1 season? It's not like the Lions are underperforming. 

Patricia was hired after the previous coach was fired because 9-7 wasn't good enough. Patricia is going to finish worse than that, so according to the Lions GM, that is under performing. 

Patricia shouldn’t be fired. His exchanges with the media are cringey but, strictly based on some of the comments coming out of the locker room, some of those players seem incredibly entitled. Borderline whiners. It definitely seems like he’s trying to pull a Belichick (although I’d argue that that is actually his legit personality, he just can’t get away with it the way BB does) with a stern attitude, compared to most coaches today who almost have to be player’s coaches in today’s atmosphere. He should be given another year IMO.

I would say the same of Wilks, but Broncofan laid out how the circumstances might incentivize Kiem to get a new coaching staff altogether. They need a new offensive voice in there and if the only promising ones come in the form of HCs, it could put Arizona in a tough position.

3 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

To be quite honest if these pod pulling sissies are upset cause they had to practice outside in the snow then GTFO. I don’t care who it is. 

The fact of the matter is that the Lions went from one extreme to the next. Under Schwartz a good chunk of the team were thugs and they played like it. The results were definitely mixed but they had a LOT of talent on the team at that time but consistently under achieved because of a severe lack of discipline. 

Then in walks Caldwell and his many shades of emotion and they played like that too. Often times they were very very flat and it took some miraculous plays from Stafford, great kicks by prater or late game heroics from slay for them to pull out wins. However, when their backs were against the wall against good teams or in the playoffs they just simply didn’t have enough. 

The fact that a player would come out and say some bull**** like that because it was a little cold tells me everything I need to know about this team and IMO someone like Patricia is exactly what they need. Don’t get me wrong, I love slay and think he’s a fantastic player but I hope he got his *** chewed out for those comments and he better get back in line. 

These dudes are paid MILLIONS to play this game. MILLIONS. Hell if I could play football professionally for 100k I’d be all over it. I’d practice in snow, sleet, hail etc etc. if the players want to be pampered crybabies they can take their *** elsewhere. 

You can't play football professionally, though. You're not good enough. The players are. And the authoritarian routine doesn't go over so well in the NFL. If the Lions aren't winning by next year at latest, he's going to lose the locker room. You can rant and rave all you want about what spoiled babies they are, but at least half of being a HC in the NFL is your ability to manage the egos. You need to keep the "pampered crybabies" happy if you want to succeed. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

You can't play football professionally, though. You're not good enough. The players are. And the authoritarian routine doesn't go over so well in the NFL. If the Lions aren't winning by next year at latest, he's going to lose the locker room. You can rant and rave all you want about what spoiled babies they are, but at least half of being a HC in the NFL is your ability to manage the egos. You need to keep the "pampered crybabies" happy if you want to succeed. 

So if you were a head coach you would be fine with a player coming out and whining about practicing in the snow? 

Just now, theuntouchable said:

So if you were a head coach you would be fine with a player coming out and whining about practicing in the snow? 

I would hope the player would come to me. The fact that he didn't feel comfortable doing that would make me reevaluate what I am doing.

It's hard going from an easy-going boss to one that's hard as nails. Especially when you're having less success with the hard as nails one. Also being "tougher" on your team doesn't make them more prepared or more motivated.

21 minutes ago, Malik said:

It's hard going from an easy-going boss to one that's hard as nails. Especially when you're having less success with the hard as nails one. Also being "tougher" on your team doesn't make them more prepared or more motivated.

Yeah, it strikes me as funny that people still think there's merit to the hard-arse approach. I'm not saying that it's an ineffective approach, but its effectiveness will depend on the coach. However, it's an approach that I personally would not want if I were GMing a team.

32 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

So say he came to you prior to the practice. What then? 

Well, it's too late at that point. But I hear him out, explain to him why I think it's necessary, and tell him that we'll reevaluate the need of it after practice. Then again, I doubt I'd have them practicing in snow just to make a point. The game this Sunday will be in a dome.

Archived