Mason Crosby: To cut or not to cut

AlexGreen#20

Crosby has been frustrating as hell this year. 

The Detroit game was obviously a complete disaster.

Minnesota he had a shot at a 50 yarder that would have won the game that he missed.

Here again tonight, he failed to knock one through.

Let's have the conversation. Only taking into account kickers with more than 10 FGA

+++

On kicks from 0-19 yards:

Crosby is 0-0

The league is 1-1 on the year (100%)

+++

On kicks from 20-29 yards:

Crosby is 3-3 (100%)

The league is 108-110 (98.2%)

+++

On kicks from 30-39 yards:

Crosby is 7-8 (87.5%)

The league is 155-164 (94.5%)

+++

On kicks from 40-49 yards

Crosby is 6-9 (66.7)

The league is 112-145 (77.2%)

+++

On kicks from 50-59 yards

Crosby is 4-6 (66.7%)

The league is 58-88 (65.9%)

+++

On the whole,

Mason Crosby is 20-26 (76.9%)

Based on the depth of his kicks, the average NFL kicker with 10 FGA would have kicked 82.36%

Mason Crosby is 5.46% worse than the average kicker. That ranks him at 23rd in the league. 

Obviously this doesn't account for things like weather conditions, but I think we've been kicking in fairly good weather so far this year. 

+++

From a salary cap perspective: 

Cutting Crosby right now saves about .25 million in salary for the 2018 season. That does not include the money that would need to be spent to bring in a new kicker. That's obviously going to be more than a quarter of a million dollars.

It would save the team  3.6 million in salary in 2019, obviously subtracting whatever the cost of the new kicker would be.

+++

Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Crosby has been frustrating as hell this year. 

The Detroit game was obviously a complete disaster.

Minnesota he had a shot at a 50 yarder that would have won the game that he missed.

Here again tonight, he failed to knock one through.

Let's have the conversation. Only taking into account kickers with more than 10 FGA

+++

On kicks from 0-19 yards:

Crosby is 0-0

The league is 1-1 on the year (100%)

+++

On kicks from 20-29 yards:

Crosby is 3-3 (100%)

The league is 108-110 (98.2%)

+++

On kicks from 30-39 yards:

Crosby is 7-8 (87.5%)

The league is 155-164 (94.5%)

+++

On kicks from 40-49 yards

Crosby is 6-9 (66.7)

The league is 112-145 (77.2%)

+++

On kicks from 50-59 yards

Crosby is 4-6 (66.7%)

The league is 58-88 (65.9%)

+++

On the whole,

Mason Crosby is 20-26 (76.9%)

Based on the depth of his kicks, the average NFL kicker with 10 FGA would have kicked 82.36%

Mason Crosby is 5.46% worse than the average kicker. That ranks him at 23rd in the league. 

Obviously this doesn't account for things like weather conditions, but I think we've been kicking in fairly good weather so far this year. 

+++

From a salary cap perspective: 

Cutting Crosby right now saves about .25 million in salary for the 2018 season. That does not include the money that would need to be spent to bring in a new kicker. That's obviously going to be more than a quarter of a million dollars.

It would save the team  3.6 million in salary in 2019, obviously subtracting whatever the cost of the new kicker would be.

+++

Thoughts?

I think this certainly shows that a Kicker needs to be brought in to compete. It sucks but such is the NFL you have to produce or you're looking for work. We've continued to do it in the P game there is no reason we shouldn't with our K. He makes a couple of those kicks and what does our team feel like now?

My plan would be to potentially move on next season. Our season really hangs on this game next week. 

I have no problem keeping Mason, but for his salary he needs to be top 5. If you are getting average kicker play, may as well cut him and bring in someone else

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

New snapper.  New holder.

I wouldn't cut him...but I would bring in competition.  Guessing some of his struggles are due to the two new guys in front of him.  Some.

I have no idea why Bradley ever made this team. He snapped poorly through camp. He's snapped poorly ever since. The missed FG had a poor snap and Scott had to pick one up off the ground this week. His knees are a nightmare. We should have kept Triner.

Archived