Mason Crosby: To cut or not to cut

AlexGreen#20

11 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I have no idea why Bradley ever made this team. He snapped poorly through camp. He's snapped poorly ever since. The missed FG had a poor snap and Scott had to pick one up off the ground this week. His knees are a nightmare. We should have kept Triner.

He made it because Gute drafted him.

3 hours ago, Howler said:

We have much bigger fish to fry than the pk. 

Doesn't mean we shouldn't fry this one too. 

He's below average, the stats bear it out. The kicks that were pointed out where he missed weather had nothing to do with it. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

New snapper.  New holder.

I wouldn't cut him...but I would bring in competition.  Guessing some of his struggles are due to the two new guys in front of him.  Some.

Yup, and don't forget: our ST coach is mediocre if that.

Zook was a very questionable hire. We fired Slocum for the Seattle disaster, but Zook was part of that coaching unit, too (assistant ST) so it's not like he was able to recognize the problems that were taking place, either.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thoughts?

After watching the roller coasters that are other teams' kickers, I'm not cutting him unless we get a clear upgrade.  I could really care less about the cap effects.  Is the money we save by releasing Crosby really going to be worth the risk?  Probably not.  Bring in some competition like we did with Scott.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Doesn't mean we shouldn't fry this one too. 

He's below average, the stats bear it out. The kicks that were pointed out where he missed weather had nothing to do with it. 

Agreed.  Weather will soon become a factor though and Mason knows how to kick in the cold.  Just seems like his compass is off.

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

After watching the roller coasters that are other teams' kickers, I'm not cutting him unless we get a clear upgrade.  I could really care less about the cap effects.  Is the money we save by releasing Crosby really going to be worth the risk?  Probably not.  Bring in some competition like we did with Scott.

Agree with this.
For whatever reason - probably faulty talent evaluations - some teams seem to be plagued by a series of lousy kickers - or below average.
Crosby's not been on the money as much this year as previous. All his fault? Cant say. DET was a complete misnomer. No clue (or actual answers from the team) what happened there.

I dont begrudge a kicker missing 50-60 yds kicks every once in awhile. It t'aint easy - and Crosby seems to still have the leg for it. He's not dropping them just over or in front of the crossbar (clear indication of age in FG kickers). His long boots are still hitting the halfway up the vertical length if not higher.

I welcome competition at any position - and as said elsewhere - I dont worry about the money - it on the field results (and reasons) that matter to me.

I'm not re-litigating this, but even when you account for weather/location crosby has kicked exactly the same as all of his opponents over his career across all distances. 

basically he's worse than our opponents are in the same games at all distance ranges.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

we're on this roller coaster now.  Expensive ride tho.

Her's a thought.  Instead of using a kicker let's just score TDs.  In all seriousness you don't cut Crosby for one bad game.  No kicker is perfect.  Take away the Detroit game and he's probably 10% better than the league average.  Bring in competition for sure but until you have someone who can consistently out perform Crosby you don't cut him.  

55 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Her's a thought.  Instead of using a kicker let's just score TDs.  In all seriousness you don't cut Crosby for one bad game.  No kicker is perfect.  Take away the Detroit game and he's probably 10% better than the league average.  Bring in competition for sure but until you have someone who can consistently out perform Crosby you don't cut him.  

take away a RB's long runs and he averages 2 ypc.

Point is he's a below average kicker being paid like an elite kicker.  He's the Cobb of STs.

There's an argument to be made the that unit isn't stable with a new holder new snapper etc.  I still don't think crosby is ever an elite kicker even if he has the same unit all the time, but there's a strong case for the kicking unit gelling over time.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

take away a RB's long runs and he averages 2 ypc.

Point is he's a below average kicker being paid like an elite kicker.  He's the Cobb of STs.

There's an argument to be made the that unit isn't stable with a new holder new snapper etc.  I still don't think crosby is ever an elite kicker even if he has the same unit all the time, but there's a strong case for the kicking unit gelling over time.

But if Crosby is consisently average over many seasons, that makes him good, right?

At least that was your argument with Matthew Stafford ;)

Archived