Mason Crosby: To cut or not to cut

AlexGreen#20

Just now, incognito_man said:

But if Crosby is consisently average over many seasons, that makes him good, right?

At least that was your argument with Matthew Stafford ;)

stafford is consistently above average and sometimes great... which is what makes him good in my book.   Individual seasons like Case Keenum, RGIII, Derek Carr, Alex Smith etc come and go with great offensive talent and great coaching and guys getting hot over a short span of games.

Stafford is one of those qbs who can make a throw or a play even when the defense plays excellent defense and defeats the offensive playcall.  That, and being capable and reliable when the defense is playing average defense is what makes a QB "good" in my book.  Also, staying healthy.

Stafford/Cam/Wilson all pretty on the same level for me.  Stafford has always had to carry a Peyton Manning like responsibility without the Peyton level ability to pass on every down.  WIlson/Cam/Ryan all have historically relied on complementary running games and/or excellent defense to have team success.

Brady/Rodgers/Brees

Roeth

Wentz/Rivers

Stafford/Cam/WIlson/Ryan

Watson/Goff/Cousins

3 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Team could easily be 6-3-1 with a more confident kicker right now tho 

I do'n know how 6-3-1 would happen. Crosby makes the field goal against Minnesota and that erases the tie: 5-5. Crosby makes all his field goals against Detroit and that makes us 6-4. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I do'n know how 6-3-1 would happen. Crosby makes the field goal against Minnesota and that erases the tie: 5-5. Crosby makes all his field goals against Detroit and that makes us 6-4. 

crosby makes his kick vs Seattle and "momentum" happens.

5 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I have no idea why Bradley ever made this team. He snapped poorly through camp. He's snapped poorly ever since. The missed FG had a poor snap and Scott had to pick one up off the ground this week. His knees are a nightmare. We should have kept Triner.

Low snaps are slow snaps and really throw off a kicker. The blocked punt was because of the same reason. Our long snapper should have been replaced weeks ago.

51 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I view Stafford and Crosby as pretty much identical vs their peers.

I guess I would if Crosby were objectively above average and his peers above him in salary weren't objectively above average.

Stafford has Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins above him in salary.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I guess I would if Crosby were objectively above average and his peers above him in salary weren't objectively above average.

Stafford has Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins above him in salary.

I don't think the needle swings that far differently for either of them. The biggest difference is the % of salary cap one takes up vs the other. Including this, Stafford is far more cuttable than Crosby IMO.

I wouldn't cut him mid season, I don't think there's a great chance to upgrade right now, though admittedly I have no idea about the FA kicker market.

The thing about those numbers is that Mason's attempts are obviously significantly lower than the league so each kick carries more than 10% weight in those averages. To offer another point of view - if you turn one miss into a make in two categories (30-39 and 40-49), he is above league average in all of them. Detroit was a putrid showing and it's skewing that data - the misses in Minny and Seattle hurt but they weren't gimme kicks.

I'd definitely try to improve next offseason though.

I agree about the LS also, he's not playing well and many of you guys were saying that here since the summer. It's a head scratcher for sure.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:14 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Bring in competition.

Don't cut him till you find something you know is better.

At 34, one would expect he might start losing some range, so they are starting to get to the point of needing something new, but good kickers can be hard to come by.

Image result for Mason Crosby

Looking at how his hair has aged, you would really have to hope that he doesn't age as quickly talent wise as well. 

12 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Image result for Mason Crosby

Looking at how his hair has aged, you would really have to hope that he doesn't age as quickly talent wise as well. 

Early gray hair in the Irish is fairly common. The problem with Crosby isn't age, it's consistency. Ever since he came to GB he's had problems with consistency. 

Mason Crosby’s contract is for 4.85 Million in 2019 with only a 1.25 Million cost to cut him.

3.6 Million savings minus .55 Million Rookie Kicker (Round 5, 172 overall, JK Scott’s contract) means you can let Crosby play out the season and replace him and save 3 Million Dollars.

hes letting Sargento off easy! Think of the kids!

Archived