Mason Crosby: To cut or not to cut

AlexGreen#20

23 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

take away a RB's long runs and he averages 2 ypc.

Point is he's a below average kicker being paid like an elite kicker.  He's the Cobb of STs.

There's an argument to be made the that unit isn't stable with a new holder new snapper etc.  I still don't think crosby is ever an elite kicker even if he has the same unit all the time, but there's a strong case for the kicking unit gelling over time.

I’m not arguing anything. Crosby has had 26 FG attempts. That’s a really small sample size to compare to a running back. He’s had 1 bad game. If you can find an elite kicker by all means grab him but I’m not giving up on a guy based on the Detroit game. 

1 more FG made out of his 26 attempts and he’s right at league average. 

27 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I’m not arguing anything. Crosby has had 26 FG attempts. That’s a really small sample size to compare to a running back. He’s had 1 bad game. If you can find an elite kicker by all means grab him but I’m not giving up on a guy based on the Detroit game. 

1 more FG made out of his 26 attempts and he’s right at league average. 

i'm just speaking to his career. Not his season.  

He's average.  I don't think he's below average.  I think most people think he's elite or at least very good.

33 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

i'm just speaking to his career. Not his season.  

He's average.  I don't think he's below average.  I think most people think he's elite or at least very good.

Keep in mind that he does kick in what is statistically the most difficult currently active stadium to kick in. His numbers will underrate him a bit. Still I wouldn't put his career higher than above average/good. I agree he's not in that very good/elite range

On 11/17/2018 at 5:48 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

Keep in mind that he does kick in what is statistically the most difficult currently active stadium to kick in. His numbers will underrate him a bit. Still I wouldn't put his career higher than above average/good. I agree he's not in that very good/elite range

like I already posted on page 2 or so, he's been worse at kicking than our opponents... so the same exact stadium and setting/weather.

11 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

like I already posted on page 2 or so, he's been worse at kicking than our opponents... so the same exact stadium and setting/weather.

Thanks, I missed that. I was going off a statistical analysis a few years back that found that 1) Lambeau is the most difficult current stadium to kick in, due to a combination of weather and grass surface, and 2) Crosby’s numbers were among the most negatively affected by kicking difficulty, meaning he was among the most underrated kickers by raw numbers alone

On 11/16/2018 at 5:13 PM, skibrett15 said:
On 11/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, incognito_man said:

I view Stafford and Crosby as pretty much identical vs their peers.

I guess I would if Crosby were objectively above average and his peers above him in salary weren't objectively above average.

Stafford has Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins above him in salary

So I got bored at worked and looked.

Over their careers, Crosby has averaged as the 17.27th best kicker in DVOA.

Stafford has averaged as the 17.22th best QB in DVOA.

Can't make this schit up 😂

Looks like my gut feeling was spot on.

Crosby's best years were: 6,8,12,13

Stafford's best: 10,10,11,12

This also doesn't account for conditions. So Crosby probably gets that .05 bump for kicking outdoors in the cold vs Stafford's home dome ;)

When it comes to kicker, I'm okay living with someone who is good enough.  Even with this not being Crosby's best year, he still isn't a bottom 5 kicker. There are teams like the Vikings who have been snake bitten by bottom 5 kickers. The grass isn't always greener

I'm always for bringing in a camp leg next offseason to see if we could strike gold, but I wouldn't cut Crosby.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

So I got bored at worked and looked.

Over their careers, Crosby has averaged as the 17.27th best kicker in DVOA.

Stafford has averaged as the 17.22th best QB in DVOA.

Can't make this schit up 😂

Looks like my gut feeling was spot on.

Crosby's best years were: 6,8,12,13

Stafford's best: 10,10,11,12

This also doesn't account for conditions. So Crosby probably gets that .05 bump for kicking outdoors in the cold vs Stafford's home dome ;)

haha that's too good.

• 2 weeks later...

Minnesota week 2. Long kick, but certainly a kick that could be made.

Detroit week 5, the worst performance by a kicker in just about ever. 

Week 11 Seattle, Pack loses by 3 and Mason misses another makeable kick.

Week 12 Arizona, another difficult attempt and another miss.

Gut can put those extra millions that Crosby is collecting but not earning to rebuilding the subpar roster.

Archived