Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Saint

Week 11 GDT: Eagles (4-5) @ Saints (8-1)

Recommended Posts

"To be the best, you have to beat the best.  A phrase we've all often heard while growing up. Thus far for the Saints, we've had no problem. Beating division contenders in the NFC and AFC alike. Next up on the menu is the reigning Super Bowl champs.

 

Injury bug:

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/injury-report/

After initially seeing the Eagles will be without all 3 starting CBs, it seems Sidney Jones practiced on Thursday fully, so looks like he'll play. They will be without Darby, Mills and Sproles. Lane Johnson and Holati Ngata were limited, indicating we'll see them Sunday.

For the good guys, I think we will miss Davenport and Armstead. Both big misses, but something we can hopefully weather.

 

Underrated Saint:

This week I wanna give a shout out to our Thor-haired LBer, Alex "My name is not a title of a porno" Anzalone. Started out the year playing timid, but as the season has progressed, he's become the LBer we've needed in the WLB for a while. He's smart, fast and good in coverage. His improvement in coverage has also coincided with our defensive fortitude. Apple has had a hand, but AA taking away anything short has really helped us shut down offenses. One of AA's biggest improvements is learning how to use his speed. He's learnt that he can't overpower or go through opponents like Demario Davis can, however he can get by them using timing and speed. A perfect example of that is his sack against Dalton. He's really grown and filled a hole on this team that we've had a while.

 

Coaches corner:

In terms of our game plan, the Eagles rank 12th in giving up sacks, 3rd in giving up QB hits and 23rd in Rush yards/carry. Defensively if we can shut down the run and get them into 3rd and long situations, our pass rush might be able to do some damage. With the offense, I think a short passing game could do some damage. Look for a heavy dosage of Kamara, TEs (Watson and Hill) and Michael Thomas with quick passes.

 

Geaux Saints!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just worried about Cox with Armstead out.  I'm not sure how we'll shuffle our oline around, but I don't trust Bushrod to help Peat nearly like I do Armstead.

Our oline is generally pretty good even when they're down.  Or at the least, Brees gets the ball out quickly and masks it.  So I don't expect a horrible performance, but will it be enough to slow us down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easier said than done, but Daniel Jeremiah hit the nail on the head when he said the Eagles have to force Brees to beat them deep. Take away everything underneath and make Brees beat you with the deep pass and test Bushrods protection while those long plays develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Just worried about Cox with Armstead out.  I'm not sure how we'll shuffle our oline around, but I don't trust Bushrod to help Peat nearly like I do Armstead.

Our oline is generally pretty good even when they're down.  Or at the least, Brees gets the ball out quickly and masks it.  So I don't expect a horrible performance, but will it be enough to slow us down?

That's my thought as well. I'm not sure they'll make us look terrible, but with Armstead out I'm sure they'll be able to take advantage of that.  I'm expecting a close game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dome said:

Easier said than done, but Daniel Jeremiah hit the nail on the head when he said the Eagles have to force Brees to beat them deep. Take away everything underneath and make Brees beat you with the deep pass and test Bushrods protection while those long plays develop.

That means taking away two elite weapons in Thomas and Kamara.

 It can be done, I mean, it's not like we've never had a bad game on offense.  And with Armstead out is as good a time as any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That means taking away two elite weapons in Thomas and Kamara.

 It can be done, I mean, it's not like we've never had a bad game on offense.  And with Armstead out is as good a time as any.

That’s what I mean, easier said than done for sure lol

But if you can make Brees throw deep and limit the underneath stuff you probably have a better shot. 

I’d take the chance on a swift death if Brees deep game is on. Gotta get the Saints off schedule offensively to stand a Chance right now and that’s best done (not easily, just best) by limiting the quick passes to the super stars 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read a stat on Reddit that seems true, but pretty unbelievable nonetheless.

Morestead is 33rd in the league in number of punts.  That means some team has two punters with more punts than Morestead.

Brees is 40th in the league in INTs.

Those are some pretty crazy stats and we may have an all time historical offense on our hands, despite the league-wide offensive explosion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 1:15 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Just read a stat on Reddit that seems true, but pretty unbelievable nonetheless.

Morestead is 33rd in the league in number of punts.  That means some team has two punters with more punts than Morestead.

Brees is 40th in the league in INTs.

Those are some pretty crazy stats and we may have an all time historical offense on our hands, despite the league-wide offensive explosion.

Denver has had two different punters this season:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Why am I nervous?

I always get nervous before games when we're good.  Every win is critical, especially in NFC south.

But Panthers and Falcons losing makes it that much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I always get nervous before games when we're good.  Every win is critical, especially in NFC south.

But Panthers and Falcons losing makes it that much better.

I'm nervous for every game. Lol

It's a little easier though when the Saints suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Philly doesn't have a secondary but I'd like to see more runs to wear down that dline early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×