Hunter2_1

The Recipe of Losing

Has anyone else noticed the pattern of our losses this season, and many losses in recent history? It's consistent, and It goes a little something like this;

Step 1: Bad Start

One week after falling behind 14-0 and later 21-3 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, we were down 13-0 in the second quarter against the Lions. Versus the Titans, the Patriots again had a bad start: the  58-yard kickoff return which helped them take the lead. We found ourselves down 17-3 by the time the first quarter came to an end. 

Step 2: Third Down

This has been a pattern from last season, too. The offense is ranked middle-of-the-pack no matter the distance it has to cover, while the defense is one of the NFL’s worst in stopping opponents on third-and-mediums and third-and-shorts. On the year, the two sides are ranked 14th (39.7%) and 26th (43.1%) when it comes to conversions on third down. The one time we overcame it recently was vs PIT who KILLED us on 3rd down. Not looking forward to that.

Step 3: Field position

TEN started three of its six first half drives on New England’s side of the field. Titans had to go 10 fewer yards on average

This is the new entry to the bank. We are 28th in field position, which is alien to us. Last year we were savage, and were the best in starting field position all year.

Step 4: Brady locks on

When TB locks on to only 3 people, you know he's uncomfortable. It's his biggest tell. It's not the same as targetting someone who is dominating (J White in SB), it's the forcing it like we saw with Gordon and Edelman.

The antidote is starting strong. When we start strong and get a lead (games vs CHI and GB was the model for this) - we tend to win. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

The only one of these that isnt true for every other team is Brady locking on; of which is a symptom of consistent pressure not really a root cause. 

You forgot to mention when McDaniels gets really stubborn with his gameplan and the defense allowing a mediocre quarterback look like Joe Montana.

Edited by Elky

On 16/11/2018 at 7:12 PM, Deadpulse said:

The only one of these that isnt true for every other team is Brady locking on; of which is a symptom of consistent pressure not really a root cause. 

I dunno, a lot of teams are perfectly capable of losing after a strong start. We seem to be incapable of losing after a great start, but really struggle if we get off to a bad start like we did in all losses this and last season

51 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I dunno, a lot of teams are perfectly capable of losing after a strong start. We seem to be incapable of losing after a great start, but really struggle if we get off to a bad start like we did in all losses this and last season

I dont understand. Your saying the Patriots historically dont recover from bad starts to the season? Thats just demonstrably untrue, even recent history suggests the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont understand. Your saying the Patriots historically dont recover from bad starts to the season? Thats just demonstrably untrue, even recent history suggests the opposite. 

No, I'm not saying that. Not sure how you came to that at all. I'm saying the losses show that we don't tend to recover from slow starts in GAMES. Whereas if we start hot, we usually always win. And before you say "that's the same with all teams" - it aint.

Edited by Hunter2_1

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm saying the losses show that we don't tend to recover from slow starts in GAMES. Whereas if we start hot, we usually always win. And before you say "that's the same with all teams" - it aint.

Again... how is that just not normally true for any and all teams? 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Again... how is that just not normally true for any and all teams? 

I give up.

Yeah I agree with @Deadpulse. Comebacks are cool because they don't usually happen. The team that jumps out to a 10-point lead or whatever usually doesn't choke. Happens to everybody.

Has everyone forgotten we're only half a game behind KC for HFA?

On 20/11/2018 at 9:50 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Yeah I agree with @Deadpulse. Comebacks are cool because they don't usually happen. The team that jumps out to a 10-point lead or whatever usually doesn't choke. Happens to everybody.

So, Jacksonville got off to a big lead / good start - and ended up losing. Which means the inverse for Pittsburgh. If we got off to a 9-0 lead against PIT, I doubt we would be disappointed

KC were leading in the 4th Q, ended up on the losing side. If we go into the 4th Q with the lead - we almost always win.

GB had a 14-3 lead, lost. 

As for the point about 3rd down - it's not that simple for other teams either. LAR have the same % of 3rd down stops as us - they are 10-1. TB are 9 places better than us on 3rd down % - they are...well, booty.

I'm not saying we are unique in the above things, but that you can set your watch by a loss if you see those things come in. Some teams can overcome the same things, most other teams lose for MORE reasons. I didn't mean to make this complicated...in fact, f this thread :D 

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, Jacksonville got off to a big lead / good start - and ended up losing. Which means the inverse for Pittsburgh. If we got off to a 9-0 lead against PIT, I doubt we would be disappointed

GB had a 14-3 lead, lost. 

And these examples are notable because what's normal is for the team that starts strong to win the game.

if only they didnt get demolished by an average titans team theyd be #1 seed in the afc after being the jets. *sigh*

44 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

when do we get a Vikings Game Day Thread around this joint...?

slackers.

Knife... meet heart