WAY TOO EARLY 2019 Mock Off Season

Bobby816

We fire Bowles right after the season ends but don't fire Macc (I wish we'd fire him too).

We Hire John DeFilippo as our HC: I think he has a soft spot for young QBs and will love the challenge of Darnold and our offense. With Cap Space and a young QB he accepts our job over some others. (Backup option is Zac Taylor another QB guy).

Haven't done enough research yet to see who I'd want as OC and DC.

Resignings

Mo Claiborne

Quincy Enunwa

Robby Anderson

Henry Anderson

Daryl Roberts

Brandon Copeland

(And some other cheap depth players)

Free Agency

Le'Veon Bell (RB): We finally get a difference maker on offense. He chases the money and we give him his money.

Quinton Spain (OG): We get our LG to sure up a 3rd spot on our OL. (backup options Billy Turner, DJ Fluker)

Dante Fowler Jr. (Edge): We get our Edge guy. I think he wants to not only start but also get paid. We offer both. (backup options Demarcus Lawrence, Anthony Barr, Shaquill Barrett, Shane Ray)

Donte Moncrief (WR): With no big WRs hitting the market really... Moncrief offers more upside than most the FA WRs. We move on from Kearse and others, so we need multiple WRs. Moncrief fills that nice #2/3 type WRs we resign in Enunwa and Anderson. (backup options Devin Funchess, Adam Humphries, Golden Tate, Josh Gordon).

Draft

1. Jonah Williams (LT/Alabama): This guys sures up our left side of the OL. We sign Spain (or a starting LG) and make both sides of the OL strengths for this offense. Making Bell have holes and giving Darnold time to throw.

2. (traded away)

3. Elgton Jenkins (C/Mississippi State): Best C in the draft IMO. Athletic guy that can run and pas block very well. With Bell at RB these OL will have to be athletic with a lot of pulling along the OL. Jenkins and Williams offer that.

3. (from NO) Debo Samuel (WR/South Carolina): Love this guys combo of skills. Reminds me of a Davante Adams type guy. Gives us 4 good receiving options for Darnold along with Bell and Herndon. Maybe we get our #1 WR in the coming drafts, but suring up the OL was a bigger priority.

4. Jabari Zuniga (Edge/Florida): Speed Edge rusher. Can rotate in with Fowler Jr (or whatever edge we get in FA). Allows Zuniga to get stronger, which is his only weakness really.

5. Nik Needham (CB/UTEP): very fluid athlete. Not a burner, but a very good cover guy. A lot like Nickerson who we just drafted. With Skrine gone we add a CB.

6. (traded away)

7. Rodrigo Blankenship (K/Georgia): We need a kicker and why not just draft one to make sure we get a good one. Rodrigo is accurate and has a good leg. We cant keep having a revolving door at K.

Im not a fan of moncrief at all. I dont see fowler as the answer at pass rush either. With 3 sacks on the year youre overpaying for his age, not his production. 

The jets need talent more than youth at this point. Id prefer us look to sign an Ansah (rumor is he is leaving Detroit) for more money. 

The bell signing is a no-brainer for us but this offseason brings no real improvement in terms of improving our offensive or defensive scheme.

Our WR core would be awfully bad if thats all we did at WR. The problem with our Oline isnt that they cant pass block, its that we dont have WR's that scare anyone so teams can stack the box against the run. Doesnt matter who you sign or draft on the oline, unless you fix WR, the offense wont be able to scare defenders off the line. 

Look at what pittsburgh done without bell. Having good WR's forces teams to play off the line and THAT is what opens holes for the running game and forces teams to worry about the play-action rather than selling out on the run.

Like this, rather go with Funchess if available being that he adds a different dimension to the passing game in terms of being a Jump Ball/Red Zone threat where as Moncriefs skills are more along the lines covered by Robby’s, also Kelvin Harmon I dont see lasting that long personally.

12 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Im not a fan of moncrief at all. I dont see fowler as the answer at pass rush either. With 3 sacks on the year youre overpaying for his age, not his production. 

The jets need talent more than youth at this point. Id prefer us look to sign an Ansah (rumor is he is leaving Detroit) for more money. 

The bell signing is a no-brainer for us but this offseason brings no real improvement in terms of improving our offensive or defensive scheme.

Our WR core would be awfully bad if thats all we did at WR. The problem with our Oline isnt that they cant pass block, its that we dont have WR's that scare anyone so teams can stack the box against the run. Doesnt matter who you sign or draft on the oline, unless you fix WR, the offense wont be able to scare defenders off the line. 

Look at what pittsburgh done without bell. Having good WR's forces teams to play off the line and THAT is what opens holes for the running game and forces teams to worry about the play-action rather than selling out on the run.

How does getting the best LT and C in the draft and a very good starting LG as well as arguably the best RB in the NFL not improve us? I have us adding 2 WRs as well.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

How does getting the best LT and C in the draft and a very good starting LG as well as arguably the best RB in the NFL not improve us? I have us adding 2 WRs as well.

Doesnt matter how good you block, if theres 8 in the box and noone to scare them off the line, theyll be no holes to run or time to throw. Even the best LT and OC (unproven rookies) wont be able to block more than 1 guy at a time. 

Fear of the deep pass keeps defenses honest. Fear of gashing them for 20 yds on blitzes. Thats what will really change this team. 

11 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Doesnt matter how good you block, if theres 8 in the box and noone to scare them off the line, theyll be no holes to run or time to throw. Even the best LT and OC (unproven rookies) wont be able to block more than 1 guy at a time. 

Fear of the deep pass keeps defenses honest. Fear of gashing them for 20 yds on blitzes. Thats what will really change this team. 

Like I said I have us adding 2 WRs along with that OL giving Darnold more time. So if a team wanted to stack the box to stop Bell... Darnold would have big lanes and open WRs to throw to. Much like Dallas’ rookie year with Dak and Elliott. Except we’d have better receiving options than what Dak had then. We can’t get 3 new OL a star RB, a edge rusher and a #1 WR in 1 offseason. It’s not realistic.

I like this offseason. Priority number 1 is get offensive minded hc. Check. Priority number 2 is to revamp the OLine for short term and long term success. Check. Number 3 Get offensive play maker. Check. 

I think if we can nail those 3 things, we are in good shape.

I also like what you did at WR and Edge. 

I would resign Myers though. He’s been lights out this year. 

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We fire Bowles right after the season ends but don't fire Macc (I wish we'd fire him too).

We Hire John DeFilippo as our HC: I think he has a soft spot for young QBs and will love the challenge of Darnold and our offense. With Cap Space and a young QB he accepts our job over some others. (Backup option is Zac Taylor another QB guy).

Haven't done enough research yet to see who I'd want as OC and DC.

Resignings

Mo Claiborne

Quincy Enunwa

Robby Anderson

Henry Anderson

Daryl Roberts

Brandon Copeland

(And some other cheap depth players)

Free Agency

Le'Veon Bell (RB): We finally get a difference maker on offense. He chases the money and we give him his money.

Quinton Spain (OG): We get our LG to sure up a 3rd spot on our OL. (backup options Billy Turner, DJ Fluker)

Dante Fowler Jr. (Edge): We get our Edge guy. I think he wants to not only start but also get paid. We offer both. (backup options Demarcus Lawrence, Anthony Barr, Shaquill Barrett, Shane Ray)

Donte Moncrief (WR): With no big WRs hitting the market really... Moncrief offers more upside than most the FA WRs. We move on from Kearse and others, so we need multiple WRs. Moncrief fills that nice #2/3 type WRs we resign in Enunwa and Anderson. (backup options Devin Funchess, Adam Humphries, Golden Tate, Josh Gordon).

Draft

1. Jonah Williams (LT/Alabama): This guys sures up our left side of the OL. We sign Spain (or a starting LG) and make both sides of the OL strengths for this offense. Making Bell have holes and giving Darnold time to throw.

2. (traded away)

3. Elgton Jenkins (C/Mississippi State): Best C in the draft IMO. Athletic guy that can run and pas block very well. With Bell at RB these OL will have to be athletic with a lot of pulling along the OL. Jenkins and Williams offer that.

3. (from NO) Debo Samuel (WR/South Carolina): Love this guys combo of skills. Reminds me of a Davante Adams type guy. Gives us 4 good receiving options for Darnold along with Bell and Herndon. Maybe we get our #1 WR in the coming drafts, but suring up the OL was a bigger priority.

4. Jabari Zuniga (Edge/Florida): Speed Edge rusher. Can rotate in with Fowler Jr (or whatever edge we get in FA). Allows Zuniga to get stronger, which is his only weakness really.

5. Nik Needham (CB/UTEP): very fluid athlete. Not a burner, but a very good cover guy. A lot like Nickerson who we just drafted. With Skrine gone we add a CB.

6. (traded away)

7. Rodrigo Blankenship (K/Georgia): We need a kicker and why not just draft one to make sure we get a good one. Rodrigo is accurate and has a good leg. We cant keep having a revolving door at K.

Glad to see you have Daryl Roberts on your list to resign. I only saw him play two game, but he was outstanding when he played.

If we get Bell. it is going to be long drawn out deal, I bet it will take at least 6 or 7 months before he signs with us. Just my guest is I think a lot of other NFL teams will be turnoff by his holdout this year, and the price he is going to cost the team that signs him, I think that gives us a edge on signing him. I am only guesting but I figure we will have close to a Thousand posts on this board, on Bell. I knew right from the start our chances of signing Kirk Cousins near  zero. But that is not the case with Bell, we got better than a 50 50 chance of signing him.

Getting Bell would be great. Herndon, Enunwa and Bell can create a lot of mismatches in the middle of the field and all three are good safety blankets for Darnold. The only thing the offense would be missing is for the outside receivers to step up. Right now all we have is Anderson. Adding a free agent like Moncrief and a draft pick like Samuel is a good start. If things don't take off with a new offensive coordinator we can always go WR early in 2020.

The alternative to this draft is go WR in the first and continue playing Beachum at LT. Then we can go LT in 2020. Either one works for me. 

Bell though. I'm 100% behind the Jets getting him. He can give us 4 really good years at RB. I think people have forgotten how shifty he is and what a great receiving back he is. 

19 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

How about a better OC who utilises his weapons (Should be throwing deep to Robby at least three times a game to keep those safeties back) that will open up some more space. Instead it’s these pathetic 5-10 yard routes...no wonder the defense floods the box! 

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Not a fan of the Head Coach choice

Love the emphasis on the O-Line being built back up. 

Think we need dual edge threats on the defensive side of the ball and another Corner. 

Would like to also add a speedster at Wideout. 

Who would you rather has HC? The Harbaugh's aren't coming here so you can probably scratch that. So I'm interested to know who you have as better options for us.

Getting 2 stud edge guys isn't a need. We've been tricked by this franchise to think we need to spend money and valuable picks every off season on 1 side of the ball (defense). Us adding an Edge like Fowler (and I have us drafting a guy in Zuniga) is enough.

I have us resigning Claiborne and adding Needham. I also think as the season progresses (the last 4 weeks) I expect some of our raw CBs to get more of a shot. Guys like Jones, Nickerson and Robinson. CB isn't a need when we will have Tru, Claiborne, Nickerson, Roberts, Jones, Robinson and Needham.

Is Robby not a speedster? I also have us drafting Samuel who's not a burner but has quickness. Fact is we cant do everything in 1 off season. That's why I said go after a legit #1 WR next year after this off season. This FA class doesn't offer a star WR and the draft I think has very good talent. But not for us choosing in the Top 5.

I like the positions addressed in both FA  and the draft.

I'd like Clowney or Barr over Fowler but could see us throwing money at any of those 3 (maybe even grabbing 2). Similar to Dr.O I think Funchess would be a better fit given our current WRs.

The draft isn't sexy but I think that's the kind of draft we need similar to the 2006 Brick/Mangold draft.

Biggest thing is Defilippo. Would love him as a HC if we decide to part with Bowles  

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Who would you rather has HC? The Harbaugh's aren't coming here so you can probably scratch that. So I'm interested to know who you have as better options for us.

Getting 2 stud edge guys isn't a need. We've been tricked by this franchise to think we need to spend money and valuable picks every off season on 1 side of the ball (defense). Us adding an Edge like Fowler (and I have us drafting a guy in Zuniga) is enough.

I have us resigning Claiborne and adding Needham. I also think as the season progresses (the last 4 weeks) I expect some of our raw CBs to get more of a shot. Guys like Jones, Nickerson and Robinson. CB isn't a need when we will have Tru, Claiborne, Nickerson, Roberts, Jones, Robinson and Needham.

Is Robby not a speedster? I also have us drafting Samuel who's not a burner but has quickness. Fact is we cant do everything in 1 off season. That's why I said go after a legit #1 WR next year after this off season. This FA class doesn't offer a star WR and the draft I think has very good talent. But not for us choosing in the Top 5.

First of all Relax lol you’re made defensive. 

Two I was looking at overall needs defensively. EDGE and another Corner topping my list and you checked that off. Good job. 

A speedster at Wideout not like Robby who’s more of a vertical threat but a RAC guy who can catch and run away from guys. A Tyreek Hill kind of guy so to speak. 

As for Head Coach I’m not particularly sold on JD as I want more of a CEO type at Head Coach(with an offensive background) rather than a glorified Coordinator Running the team again. 

I just think those coaches eventually flame out. I want our Tomlin, Belichick or Carroll.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, KodiakThunder said:

That's what Robby is for.  Q is plenty good of going deep as is Herndon down the seem.  Stretching the field with what we already have on this team is good enough.  Problem is our OL can't block long enough and our OC only calls screen plays.

Archived