2020 Draft

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, badgers0821 said:

Looks like a few already did.  Don’t hate.

I'm not hating. Jonathan Taylor has nowhere near the tools that Saquon does. Taylor won't even be the best RB in next year's draft class by the way. That will be FSU's Cam Akers or OSU's JK Dobbins. Taylor is a good runner, but c'mon. He isn't in the elite RB prospect category. I'm pretty sure I could produce excellent numbers in Wisconsin's scheme, which doesn't help his cause either.

Barkley was in a ZBS. You're going to get a lot more negative plays in that scheme regardless of the kind of runner you are. In a power run scheme, it's easy to not take negative plays. It's harder to create spectacular plays in space, but you're not going to get a blitzer screaming into the backfield unblocked like you'll see against zone blocking teams. I'm not a Taylor hater, but he's not nearly as good as some are making him out to be.

9 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

**** man, I forgot you know more about football than anyone else...my bad.  

Im glad you have time to find these pictures and post them in here, it’s adorable.

It's ok! Thanks for catching your mistake and owning it.

And yeah, it's really not that hard. It takes about 9 seconds to find and post a .gif if you have the proper chromosomes.

1 hour ago, Hawkeyejam said:

I like Taylor alot but Saquan Barkley is a rare talent. I just can't agree with better ball carrier. PSU still to this day have struggled with Oline depth since the Sanctions.

It will be interesting to see Taylor this next season. I have no doubt Wisky will be able to reload at Oline but the losses on the line will really tell how special Taylor is.

I agree, let us see how he runs behind the line missing those two extremely experienced guards blocking for him.  I am sure Wisconsin will reload on the OL but they will not be as talented as they were this past season, sure got the great center and Dietzen will be good so that will help but the rest are still question marks.  

Saquon Barkley is a dynamic RB talent, once in a decade type player if not more than that.  Only other RB I have seen who has been just as physically  impressive is Adrian Peterson and Barkley's ability to catch out of the backfield makes him an elite talent and a top 4 RB in the NFL right now.  Jonathan Taylor simply is bad out of the backfield in terms of being a pass catching weapon at all, that he really has to work on.  Sure at times he runs very well but his fumble issues is pretty annoying and in terms of his success, more than a few games this year he ran all over the place and the team still got their butt kicked and lost the game badly.  Odd that a team with a supposedly dominating RB still loses games but it happened this past year, sure the passing game and QB issues were a mess which did not help but what else is new.  Taylor did get some yards this past year which were in some ways the equivalent to garbage points in a blow out basketball game.  Still those numbers he put up are very impressive no doubt about it.

Taylor is simply not the athlete Barkley is, you think Taylor would have a 41" vertical, I doubt it.  Much less his 29 reps at 225 I doubt Taylor does that either.  He might run fast but again Barkley has another gear Taylor does not have or at least that is what I saw.  And the ability to make you miss in the open field Barkley is worlds ahead of Taylor on that one.  But like you said let us see how Taylor does next year without the OL talent arguably blocking for him and opening up such big holes.  

Right now I would have Taylor as the #1 RB in that 2020 draft but a lot of that could change and will see if they literally ran him into the ground physically or not based on the carries he has got.  In terms of RB 'tread on the tires' Taylor has a lot more gone that most.  Heck he has more carries in almost a half season than Najee Harris has in his entire Alabama career, and to those that say Harris could not be as wildly productive with the carries Taylor gets, come on.

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not hating. Jonathan Taylor has nowhere near the tools that Saquon does. Taylor won't even be the best RB in next year's draft class by the way. That will be FSU's Cam Akers or OSU's JK Dobbins. Taylor is a good runner, but c'mon. He isn't in the elite RB prospect category. I'm pretty sure I could produce excellent numbers in Wisconsin's scheme, which doesn't help his cause either.

Barkley was in a ZBS. You're going to get a lot more negative plays in that scheme regardless of the kind of runner you are. In a power run scheme, it's easy to not take negative plays. It's harder to create spectacular plays in space, but you're not going to get a blitzer screaming into the backfield unblocked like you'll see against zone blocking teams. I'm not a Taylor hater, but he's not nearly as good as some are making him out to be.

Cam Akers?  He has been a disappointment I feel so far in his FSU career, especially considering what Dalvin Cook looked like there a few years back, Akers has looked nothing like that but that OL has been awful so that might part of the problem.  Still I would be surprised to see him be the 1st RB taken in the 2020 draft.  As for Dobbins that makes a little more sense but could argue there are better players out there than him, will see.  Eno Benjamin should have a great year and I love his flexibility as a runner combined with his surprising power, and De'Andre Swift is lighting out there, big play waiting to happen just has to be more consistent as a RB and now has the chance to do that this up coming season.  And Travis Etienne played great this past year and has big time playmaking ability, not to mention the tank AJ Dillion who carries guys all over the field but did underachieve this past year and will see if he can get back to form as a JR.  To me in terms of right now what they did on the field so far, Taylor is the #1 back but that can change based on how the year goes.  In the conversation on Taylor being as good as Saquon, that is no contest at all to me.  

54 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

I don’t disagree but I think this year he will show how special he is as a runner.  Even listening to broadcasts most announcers admit he has everything you would want as a pure runner.

Barkley is special for sure but I just think Taylor is as good if not better carrying the ball on a handoff.

He's a good RB no doubt. My concern is how I don't remember a RB in your scheme that wasn't been productive. Taylor is no where near as good as Gordon was. Taylor skill set imo is good vision, strength, and a good top end speed but I don't see the lateral movement, or the cutbacks, and he has some massive runs but they are there because he has a massive hole. He won't have that in the league. As good as he is at recognizing holes and accelerating. How strong he is when he hits that next gear, he is missing some of the most important traits in today's NFL. Quickness, lateral movement, Receiving skills

Wisconsin gets away with holds nearly every play like MSU gets away with physical play in Basketball in the big ten. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Cam Akers?  He has been a disappointment I feel so far in his FSU career, especially considering what Dalvin Cook looked like there a few years back, Akers has looked nothing like that but that OL has been awful so that might part of the problem.  Still I would be surprised to see him be the 1st RB taken in the 2020 draft.  As for Dobbins that makes a little more sense but could argue there are better players out there than him, will see.  Eno Benjamin should have a great year and I love his flexibility as a runner combined with his surprising power, and De'Andre Swift is lighting out there, big play waiting to happen just has to be more consistent as a RB and now has the chance to do that this up coming season.  And Travis Etienne played great this past year and has big time playmaking ability, not to mention the tank AJ Dillion who carries guys all over the field but did underachieve this past year and will see if he can get back to form as a JR.  To me in terms of right now what they did on the field so far, Taylor is the #1 back but that can change based on how the year goes.  In the conversation on Taylor being as good as Saquon, that is no contest at all to me.  

Florida State's OL, as well as their QB situation, is a nightmare. As a Canes fan I find it very difficult to ever say something nice about Florida State, but Cam Akers is legit. He's a violent runner with elite size and shocking long speed. He's a truck and a half. Plus he's got receiving skills out of the backfield. FSU's coaching staff and terrible support around him are the reasons why he has been meh so far. I really do believe he's the best RB in the draft.

Dobbins is incredibly electric. He isn't Barkley, but he does a lot of the same things Saquon does...just without the size. He's my favorite player in next year's draft class and I can't wait to see him in the pros.

5 hours ago, Hawkeyejam said:

He's a good RB no doubt. My concern is how I don't remember a RB in your scheme that wasn't been productive. Taylor is no where near as good as Gordon was. Taylor skill set imo is good vision, strength, and a good top end speed but I don't see the lateral movement, or the cutbacks, and he has some massive runs but they are there because he has a massive hole. He won't have that in the league. As good as he is at recognizing holes and accelerating. How strong he is when he hits that next gear, he is missing some of the most important traits in today's NFL. Quickness, lateral movement, Receiving skills

Wisconsin gets away with holds nearly every play like MSU gets away with physical play in Basketball in the big ten. 

If Wisconsin does than so does Iowa...that was an odd comment to make.

People also said the same things about Gordon and White.  I guess time will tell.

17 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

People also said the same things about Gordon and White.  I guess time will tell.

Yes lucky for Wisconsin RB history Gordon has been ok in the league so far but does get injured a lot still, to me his top end speed is more than what Taylor can do potentially.  And White also is far more quick and agile than Taylor, but again has helped being a solid pro and winning titles which makes him look good.  But honestly his career overall has been nothing great, but looks good when he plays big in big games once in awhile.  Lucky for him he is on New England because if he was drafted by another team early not so sure how long he would have been around, other teams might not have been as patient.

Here is the list of recent history and it is not good.  You take Melvin Gordon off the list and really it is a terrible track record of NFL RBs to be quite honest.

Terrell Fletcher
Aaron Stecker
Ron Dayne
Michael Bennett
Anthony Davis
Brian Calhoun
PJ Hill
John Clay
Montee Ball
James White
Melvin Gordon
Corey Clement

A ton had potential, John Clay at times was a beast and had some speed but clearly injuries caught up with him and he never turned out.  Ball was a huge bust but again injuries, who knows if that is a work load issue when they are at Wisconsin or what.  Bennett some call him good but really he was crazy overrated and really only had one good season and was apart of some good offenses that made him look better than he actually was.  Dayne was not awful and might have been different it he was with a different system from the get go but for where he was drafted obviously a bust some what.  So yeah being skeptical about Wisconsin backs is nothing new, of course Taylor is arguably better than all these guys but will see what happens.  That total carry number for such a young player might be an issue but at least he has been pretty durable so far which is a credit to him.

13 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Why is that an odd comment to make? Everyone holds but Wisconsin has made a career out of it. It's a running joke across the conference. Your TEs hold every time you run outside with a pulling guard. The Badgers are masters at getting away with it. I wish Iowa caught on and could implement it. The two teams run completely different blocking schemes. 

9 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Ahh the classic Iowa v Wisconsin debate
giphy-1_zps4d1f80d7.gif~c200

Odd thing is with the RB talk on Wisconsin, a lot of those guys suck in the NFL but the Iowa list of RBs is way worse to almost not even a thing.  Only one any good was Shonn Greene and he could not stay healthy at all, same with Betts.  

Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts
Tavian Banks

Then there are these guys, all who never even got a shot at the NFL really, Coker was kicked off the team or left after two years at Iowa.  And Wadley surprised he did not make a roster this past year but did not stick.  Weisman is the assistant strength coach now and Russell just never got a shot either.

Akrum Wadley
Mark Weisman
Marcus Coker
Fred Russell

Tavian Banks did have some freaking cool hair back in that day.

51ir5fzBgLL._SY445_.jpg

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Odd thing is with the RB talk on Wisconsin, a lot of those guys suck in the NFL but the Iowa list of RBs is way worse to almost not even a thing.  Only one any good was Shonn Greene and he could not stay healthy at all, same with Betts.  

Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts
Tavian Banks

Then there are these guys, all who never even got a shot at the NFL really, Coker was kicked off the team or left after two years at Iowa.  And Wadley surprised he did not make a roster this past year but did not stick.  Weisman is the assistant strength coach now and Russell just never got a shot either.

Akrum Wadley
Mark Weisman
Marcus Coker
Fred Russell

I actually went to HS with a kid that got a scholly to play RB at Iowa. Toks Akinribade (SP?)
Had to have emergency surgery I think and quit football.

Archived