Best fantasy defenses to grab for the playoffs?

Incarcerated_Scarface

1 hour ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

You guys have a lot of insight on this stuff, I can't say I truly follow defenses. I've had the Rams all year and am streaming Cards this week. My question is who do you guys think will be nice fantasy streamers for the playoffs?

I touched on this stuff in a recent post in my "Streams of the Week" thread.

Edit:  Correction, it was in the Buy/Sell/Hold thread.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:30 PM, The LBC said:

Those of you who are looking like you've got a playoff birth sewn up (or are close), NOW (this week, next week) is the time to start ensuring you're got those playoff match-up stashes.

And in particular, I'm referring to D/ST's.  Several of the more higher-end fantasy defenses this season (since there really hasn't been and out and out dominant couple like there were last season with Jacksonville and Minnesota) have some pretty damn sketch Week 14 or 15 matchups.  And because of the kind of point-differential they can post compared to that spot on an opponent's roster, D/ST's are actually something I encourage carrying two of into the playoffs if you're in a bench-spot position to do so.

Stuff to note:

- Chicago has a great championship week matchup against the Niners, but draws the Packers and the Rams in the first two playoff weeks.

- Denver (a good defense even if they've underachieved some by their normal standard - they're still putting up sacks and that should lead to turnovers against poorer offenses) has a sweet fantasy playoff slate: @ SF, vs CLE, @ OAK.

- As the Pats defense looks like they're starting to get their stuff together (amazing what having one of your main pass-rushers back can do to revitalize a defense) they've got a pretty fantasy playoff sandwich on the road to the Phins in week 14 and  at home hosting the Bills during the fantasy finals (Pittsburgh is sandwiched in the middle there, so you'll probably want to CYA for that week).

Top Defenses with some bad fantasy match-ups during the playoffs:

- Houston is AT Philadelphia in Week 16

- The Chargers play the Bengals (not in primetime, so no benefit of Primetime Dalton) and the Chiefs in Weeks 14 and 15.

- The Ravens have a playoff slate of Chiefs, Bucs, Chargers... no bueno.

- Steelers have a great Week 14 matchup against the Raiders, but then they get the Pats and the Saints.

- The Rams (surprisingly still a Top 8 fantasy defense) have a questionable matchup away to Chicago (probably still a decent floor), but then play the Eagles in Week 15, before closing the season at Arizona.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

I trust the Lions defense about as far as I can throw matt Patricia, unfortunately.

FIFY

There is one league I have denver, Seattle, and buffalo. It's a very small roster 12 team league and I am super talented but not deep at all.

Rolling the dice. 

Those are 2 and a half good defenses lol by that I mean the bills and hawks defenses are very legit. Talent everywhere and they get after the QB. Denver has the matchups (raiders week 16 makes it worth it alone) but are overrated based on previous success (ie the jags). 

I'm playing matchups from here on out. It's not a strategy everyone could pull off, but when you have cooks,diggs,golladay,gurley,Jones, breida, kittle, gronk for 5 spots, you can afford to roster 3 Ds this late in the year 

Theres another league I only have the Ravens and there's very slim pickins on the wire so I may be stuck with them. I also don't have an IDP. Might try to win with no defense and no IDP considering defenses often go negative and idp get like 4-5 points. I am in first in that league right now. 

Archived