Broncos @ Chargers GDT

broncosfan07

Geez, on paper, not much to be hopeful for:

1.  Their OL vs. our DL & EDGE's - their G's Feeney & Lamp, along with C Pouncey, really have solidified their OL.   They have a strong run game, and their pass pro is excellent.  We'll still offer a stiff test there, but this isn't a huge mismatch like when we faced HOU or ARI.

2.  Their WR's/TE's/RB's vs. our pass coverage - we all know about Keenan Allen, and losing Hunter Henry was a huge blow to them. But their 2nd year WR Mike Williams, and Tyrell Williams, and the lethal 1-2 combo of MG3 and Ekeler at RB as pass catchers give them so many weapons - and we know how vulnerable we are outside of CHJ.

3.  MG3's ascendance - he's not an elite-level pure talent like Gurley or Kamara.  But he's really improved as a player, and now with a top 5 OL, he's become an elite-level RB - he gets what's there, unlike past years he doesn’t leave yards on the field and has learned to get small and get the tough yards.  He can still hit the home run, and he's an absolute threat in the pass game.  And when he takes a breather, Ekeler's not much of a break.

4.  Their pass rush vs. our OL - even without Bosa, their DL was starting to really come around, and 2nd round pick OLB Nwosu added more pass rush chops.  Now with Bosa back, and us down to McGovern at C and 2 backups playing G, and our T's already a huge pass rush liability...man, I dunno.  Bosa, Ingram, Nwosu must be licking their chops, along with....

5.  Derwin James as a blister and vs. our TE's / RB's - James was a huge draft gain, should never have fallen out of the top 10...he just adds to an already impressive secondary.   He's a huge reason why LAC is the #1 D vs. TE's.   Such a playmaker in the mold of a Ronnie Lott. 

6.  Our WR’s vs. their CB’s - Sanders in the slot vs. Desmond King is a key battle as King has been better of late whole experiencing a sophomore slump, after a fantastic rookie year.   CB Casey Hayward remains a true island CB and so Sutton / Sanders outside will have their hands full. 

7.  Their run D vs. our run game - if there's one advantage, it's that they've lost their centrepiece Mike, Denzel Perryman.  He was a huge reason for the Charger's sieve-like run D being much-improved.   It will be interesting to see how they adapt to his loss.

8. Their ST's vs. ours  - they've even addressed this weakness, as K Caleb Sturgis, a huge liability in their ST's, is gone.   Their rookie K Badgley made all the kicks in his first 2 games, so interesting to see if he can keep it up.

9. Their coaching vs. ours - gone are the days where Mike McCoy would play a vanilla gameplan, and worsen their chances of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  HC Anthony Lynn may not be an elite young mind, but he's miles ahead of what McCoy & co. used to bring. 

Add it up, about the only thing where we have hope besides winning the run game battle on O, is that their HFA isn't really there - it's more of a neutral site game.  But other than that...man, it's rough.   And I didn't even get to the fact that Rivers as QB is so much more than Keenum could ever hope to be.

The spread is LAC -7, and frankly, I don't even think covering is something we can aspire to unless we can win the TO battle by at least 2+.  Going to be an ugly run, with LAC first, then PIT next week.  UGH.   At least this helps us pick earlier with each L.  We'll need it...and hey, we can watch the kids play.

12 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

If we can't make the playoffs, then I hope to take them down with us. Or at least ruin their seeding. No offense to Chargers fans - you do you. But this is all I have. At least make them sweat. I like to spoil parties.

Well, I'd prefer we pick higher in the draft, we need more talent.  Either way, though, I hope no matter the outcome, that our young guys keep playing with heart, and don't quit.  That bodes well for our future that they've been doing it even when we lose.

Having said that, the job just got a lot harder....Bosa, Ingram & Nwosu (who's really coming on now as pass-rushing OLB) together for the first time.  Versus our depleted OL.  Good luck. O.o

23 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

If we can't make the playoffs, then I hope to take them down with us. Or at least ruin their seeding. No offense to Chargers fans - you do you. But this is all I have. At least make them sweat. I like to spoil parties.

Actually...if the Chargers make the playoffs, I might just root for them to see Rivers get to the Super Bowl.  He deserves I think...so which he could have been a Bronco, because I read somewhere a long time ago that Denver is his favorite city to play in...and I was like "come on over." 

Nevertheless...I wouldn't hate to him in the Super Bowl. 

Archived