Broncos @ Chargers GDT

broncosfan07

Run Defense, turn the ball over on Defense, don't turn it over on Offense - that is the exact formula this team came into the season talking non-stop about, and that's what we did in this game. 

In all honesty, we should never have been in that game. If it wasn't for the Chargers awful discipline and Rivers' gift on 3rd down at the end, we lose that game. That said, we hung in there and showed some clutch on the last drive (despite that AWFUL call on Tim Patrick, who got mugged himself rather than vice versa).

I thought the play calling aided our OL (and also lead to a lot of displeasure from Bronco fans) but no matter how you look at it, it's impressive to not give up any sacks on the 'road'. I will hopefully get a chance to watch the game back, but Billy Turner seemed to be the standout to me. I think he's more suited to play Guard with his frame than Tackle, so who knows - we might have stumbled into something there.

The final drive was great but we can't forget how poor we were through the air for most of that game. Case looked really shaky for 3 and 1/2 quarters and like I said earlier, we lose that game most of the time.

I'm never a fan of tanking especially when there isn't much of any (supposed) QB talent at the top of the draft. It's really difficult to change a losing culture so I prefer to win, even if it at the expense of a top 5 pick.

Besides - how can one not enjoy a win against Rivers, especially when he is culpable for the loss ....

23 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'm never a fan of tanking especially when there isn't much of any (supposed) QB talent at the top of the draft. It's really difficult to change a losing culture so I prefer to win, even if it at the expense of a top 5 pick.

Besides - how can one not enjoy a win against Rivers, especially when he is culpable for the loss ....

I agree with you - win as many games as you can - tanking sends the wrong message to everyone and can infect an organisation. We know this team has some talent and creating a winning culture is vital.

The Broncos haven't had two consecutive losing seasons in nearly 50 years - I want 8-8 and I think that should be the target. I don't think anything saves Joseph outside of making the play-offs.

As for the Chargers - they did what they do best - shooting themselves in the foot. 

7 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Let's we honest and give credit where credit is due.....Phillip Rivers  GAVE us this game, he deserves a game ball.

Also, 5 more sack by Chubbs this season and he'll get the rookie record for a rookie season !!

I was definitely wrong about my Chubb looks like he will be solid but unspectacular take. He's a different kind of pass rusher than we've typically seen here but the results are there. Dude is a beast. 

And, yeah, @thebestever6 it's insane how good Lindsay is. I'm honestly not even worried about his frame. He's a workhorse

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I thought the play calling aided our OL (and also lead to a lot of displeasure from Bronco fans) but no matter how you look at it, it's impressive to not give up any sacks on the 'road'. I will hopefully get a chance to watch the game back, but Billy Turner seemed to be the standout to me. I think he's more suited to play Guard with his frame than Tackle, so who knows - we might have stumbled into something there.

Chargers had to live through the most frustrating play in football twice lol. The QB gets sacked but throws it into the dirt play 

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

He’s such a loser, I love it!

Allen was just p*ssed at how the O and play calling let us back in.  TBH he’s right in that they gave the game back.  The take that we suck is so out of bounds - you never do that to a team you just lost to.

It’s one thing to say they gave the game away that’s ok to say.   It has a ton of truth to it.  The suck call is unnecessary.   

On the plus side it probably means Broncos-Chargers rivalry should be pretty heated after losing a lot of its luster the last few years.  At least while Rivers and Allen are still on that team.  

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Run Defense, turn the ball over on Defense, don't turn it over on Offense - that is the exact formula this team came into the season talking non-stop about, and that's what we did in this game. 

In all honesty, we should never have been in that game. If it wasn't for the Chargers awful discipline and Rivers' gift on 3rd down at the end, we lose that game. That said, we hung in there and showed some clutch on the last drive (despite that AWFUL call on Tim Patrick, who got mugged himself rather than vice versa).

The final drive was great but we can't forget how poor we were through the air for most of that game. Case looked really shaky for 3 and 1/2 quarters and like I said earlier, we lose that game most of the time.

The one thing we have to be so mindful of - Keenum was awful for 3.5 quarters even with good OL protection.   He’s so late in his reads and his placement is so poor.  Even throws he completed most times he put it in areas where the WR had to adjust to the ball - so it killed YAC potential.  We’ve seen him not deal with pressure, or show poor pocket awareness - but even with clean pockets he’s not been good (just ok at his best for short stretches).  

While I’m not a fan of spending a Rd1 pick in 2019 given our choices I hope the FO doesn’t lose sight of the fact we go nowhere short or long term with Keenum as our QB.  

It’s also what made LAC’s decision to go into prevent mode that last drive so puzzling.   I said that HC Lynn was an upgrade on Mike McCoy but that clock management and play calling was straight out of the McCoy playbook of pulling L’s from the jaws of victory. 

10 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I think it would be interesting to see what Kubiak would do with Keenum if he ended up as our OC next year.

I wouldn’t want Kubiak as OC, to be honest, even though he’s been a great one.  The NFL has moved away from his style of offense.  Every year it gets closer and closer to the college game offensively.  Two of the top 3-5 teams in the NFL are playing tonight, both 9-1 and they’re going to score 50 a piece all out of the shotgun.

It’s the reason Musgraves has to go and hopefully Elway/Kubiak...both hardcore WCO guys realize this.  The NFL is completely different now, it’s a space game and a throw 1st league.  

Running the ball on 1st and/or 2nd down to get into a manageable 3rd just doesn’t cut it anymore.  The teams that are consistently competing and winning are throwing the football 30-40+ times a game and the running game is in a lot of cases the “change of pace” if you will. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I wouldn’t want Kubiak as OC, to be honest, even though he’s been a great one.  The NFL has moved away from his style of offense.  Every year it gets closer and closer to the college game offensively.  Two of the top 3-5 teams in the NFL are playing tonight, both 9-1 and they’re going to score 50 a piece all out of the shotgun.

It’s the reason Musgraves has to go and hopefully Elway/Kubiak...both hardcore WCO guys realize this.  The NFL is completely different now, it’s a space game and a throw 1st league.  

Running the ball on 1st and/or 2nd down to get into a manageable 3rd just doesn’t cut it anymore.  The teams that are consistently competing and winning are throwing the football 30-40+ times a game and the running game is in a lot of cases the “change of pace” if you will. 

I agree, but I think Kubiaks offense could adapt to that. His unit in Baltimore was very good. I think balance would help. 

I'm intrigued to see how we approach offense with our next coach. We have some very good pieces in Lindsay, Sutton, Hamilton.  So young tight ends. Patrick looks very good. And tbh weapons today or complementary ones are easier to find because of all these schemes. 

The rams run a lot of two route concepts. If we can run something like that we'd be set to transition to a younger qb. Mahomes uses the middle of the field so well which opens up the sideline routes. 

We really are an elite qb, and coach from doing great things. They're just hard to find.

Archived